Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Use your rain pants. cinch the cuff area of the rain pants tightly around your boots with a Velcro cinch, multiple wraps of shoe lace/parachute cord or electrical tape. Used the technique many times to cross creek and small rivers up to crotch deep when hunting Northern BC. Have your boots well greased (Sno Seal) and don't waste time when crossing. Never got a wet foot yet, but I wouldn't go wading/fishing with the setup.

I settled on liking the Velcro cinch the best...which was left over from a relative's removable cast and is Velcro about 2" wide with a rectangular O-ring in one end. Too much waste with electrical tape but it worked well. Nothing wrong with the multiple wraps of boot lace or parachute cord either...make a loop on one end and cinch back.

As per the rain pants, I like the KUIU Chugach for backpack hunting. Side zippers are plenty waterproof for the quick crossings. Easy to take them on and off too.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not sure what you are looking for Mike. Ive used sourdough slippers, wiggys waders, the old red ball branded version of the same thing. Sounds like you're thinking of a lw upper married to a lower of the same thing. I have seen lots of talk about that, but never anything viable that I remember.
All of the above can work, and I have done the gaiter high step and the rain gear run too. It just depends on how deep, how cold, and how many times you have to cross the damn thing before you get to where you are going. For the most part I have settled on waist high goretex waders and crocs/water shoes. It weighs more and takes some time, but I generally stay dry and don't freeze my nuts off, so I guess it's worth it.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Something like this but who knows where to find it. There's no info at all on this photo.

[Linked Image from forestry-suppliers.com]

This is them, Rock Chuck found a good picture, but no info. to be found so far.

I'm moving back to Idaho, it's mostly high dry desert. If I was going to be in a place where I cross water a lot I'd be OK with some of the waders mentioned here.

Kurt52, that's a good idea but I've gone to ankle high boots. I don't think this would work very well with them.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JMR40
Take off boots and socks, slip on Crocks. Change back after the crossing.

Beach shoes work much better. take off pants, boots socks

https://www.amazon.com/Wave-Waterpr...p;adgrpid=65884145727&th=1&psc=1

Last edited by ribka; 01/29/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JMR40
Take off boots and socks, slip on Crocks. Change back after the crossing.

Have done that. Crocks were so slippery that I have to use a walking stick to be sure not to fall down in mid stream.

I have worn wet boots but prefer to keep them dry, so more usually have stripped down and waded barefoot.

In a week long backpack hunt with two waist/chest deep river crossings, I bought a cheap pair of vinyl chest waders, took them on the float plane, carried them miles in my pack, and they split out an inseam when the water got about to the bottom of my ribs.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Okanagan
so more usually have stripped down and waded barefoot.

Yeah. Sometimes. It is real hard to see broken glass in the stream bed underwater .. and there are ass-munch types who'd deliberately do things like that out there. Also I find that fairly rough bottom and really cold feet don't get along very well. Tendons that will stretch just fine in warm conditions are very stiff, very inflexible when "properly chilled" making foot strains / injuries more likely than I like.

If I know I have to cross a stream or two I carry "camp shoes" of a sort that dry quickly and don't weigh much in the first place. Favorite choice is Merrill "Trail Glove" zero-rise running shoes. They're usually 10-12 ounces for a pair which seems worthwhile overall.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was just checking out those ninja, five toed shoes! Ghey looking but I bet something like that might could get the job done , in a pinch!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Okanagan
so more usually have stripped down and waded barefoot.

Yeah. Sometimes. It is real hard to see broken glass in the stream bed underwater .. and there are ass-munch types who'd deliberately do things like that out there. Also I find that fairly rough bottom and really cold feet don't get along very well. Tendons that will stretch just fine in warm conditions are very stiff, very inflexible when "properly chilled" making foot strains / injuries more likely than I like.

If I know I have to cross a stream or two I carry "camp shoes" of a sort that dry quickly and don't weigh much in the first place. Favorite choice is Merrill "Trail Glove" zero-rise running shoes. They're usually 10-12 ounces for a pair which seems worthwhile overall.

My stream wading has been way out there a looong way from roads and people in northern and Central BC. Broken glass is possible but not likely. When a kid and teen in WA State I got cut a few times from broken glass when swimming and wading in the Columbia River, a lot farther south.

Glacier melt is amazingly cold. Ice water and sharp gravel is a recipe for cuts, and with cold enough feet I don't even feel some cuts till later. If the sun is shining it sure feels good to dry and warm legs and feet after wading ice water, almost pleasurable. Camp shoes idea is a good one. I use Crocs for camp shoes usually.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No help finding the lightweight waders/leggings, BUT what I've been using instead of Crocs are Arcteryx Norvan SL's- very light, meshy trail runners (with a Vibram sole!)- lighter than Crocs, full lace up (they aren't coming off), better outsole and in a pinch if you had a full boot failure that wasn't repairable- these would get you by better than Crocs

I use them as "camp" shoes and for fording higher creeks/rivers.

13 oz for the pair

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Getting your feet wet might be fine in the summer but for backpack hunting, it might be hard to get them warm again when it's 20F and there's 4" of snow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting your feet wet might be fine in the summer but for backpack hunting, it might be hard to get them warm again when it's 20F and there's 4" of snow.

agreed; but often there is no other viable option- I've found even in cold conditions after fording- drying my feet, donning my dry socks and dry boots (which are usually tied together and hanging around my neck as I ford) and starting hiking again I'm good to go pretty quickly

slogging through a cold creek/river, in cold conditions and getting your hunting boots (and socks) fully soaked is not a good strategy

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtwarden

agreed; but often there is no other viable option- I've found even in cold conditions after fording- drying my feet, donning my dry socks and dry boots (which are usually tied together and hanging around my neck as I ford) and starting hiking again I'm good to go pretty quickly

slogging through a cold creek/river, in cold conditions and getting your hunting boots (and socks) fully soaked is not a good strategy
The viable option is the whole point of the OP. However, we haven't been able to find the waders he's looking for. Apparently they aren't made any more.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess that would make it a non-viable option, so maybe go to plan B grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I mostly wade with either Vibram "finger gloves" or Merrell Trail Gloves. In older days, Merrell "Overdrive" shoes. Those are roughly 10-12 ounces per pair.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
What about two ultralight dry bags? Similar concept to trash bags but heavier and more puncture resistant

Hardin284
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
someone reached out to me a little while back, he wants me to test a prototype wader (goes over your boots), just for creek/river crossings - he has the weight down to 8 oz; I'll let you know if/when I receive a pair

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Like....

Looking forward to your experience with the ultralight wader !!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC
I'm not sure what exactly "leggings" refers to. I wear gators most of the time, which won't keep deep water from getting into your boots. If the water is deep enough that you can't cross the stream without getting water over the tops of the boots and consequently inside the boots, then your feet are going to get wet. In that situation, there are other options. You know it's not a sin to get your boots wet. I always carry a couple pairs of extra socks. After you cross the stream, take off your boots, wring out your socks and drain the water out of your boots. Put everything back on and wear your wet socks for 1/4 mile. This pumps the water out of your boots. Then change into your dry socks. Hang the wet socks on the outside of your pack to dry.

One time, when I knew that I had to cross a stream that would inundate my boots, I carried a pair of deck shoes. I changed into the shoes, crossed the stream, then changed back into my boots. I knew I was coming back the same way, so I hung the wet shoes on a tree and retrieved them on the return trip.

I've seen lightweight hip waders, with waterproof Nylon tops. That might be what you are referring to. But they are pretty expensive and I wouldn't want to leave them hanging on a tree.

BTW I always use Smartwool socks.

You may like Altama Maritime boots. Midsole doesn't get wet, water drain holes. Cordura. Dries remarkably fast. Durable, multi-surface/substrate and water use.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Something like this but who knows where to find it. There's no info at all on this photo.

[Linked Image from forestry-suppliers.com]

This is them, Rock Chuck found a good picture, but no info. to be found so far.

I'm moving back to Idaho, it's mostly high dry desert. If I was going to be in a place where I cross water a lot I'd be OK with some of the waders mentioned here.

Kurt52, that's a good idea but I've gone to ankle high boots. I don't think this would work very well with them.

hodgman gamewade. frogg togg makes something similar too (rena)

i use something similar to others postings- couple of thick mil trash bags work well up to knee/mid thigh crossings. rabbit ear tie em. its not for wading-but its best for crossings.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mtwarden
someone reached out to me a little while back, he wants me to test a prototype wader (goes over your boots), just for creek/river crossings - he has the weight down to 8 oz; I'll let you know if/when I receive a pair
ok.

Posted by Bristoe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.