Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have an Encore muzzleloader barrel with a pretty pitted bore. My plan was to use it as a stub and sleeve another barrel into it. Problem is, although this has been done plenty of times and there was a company a few years back that sold just the stubs, I can’t find any info online about overall dimensions for the ID of the stub or the OD of the sleeved in barrel.

Anybody ever done one of these, or have one of these, or can offer some input?

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Is it going to stay a MZ loader ?

If so you can probably buy a fine used barrel on Ebay for less than stubbing will cost.

Reboring is always an option as well.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I’m planning on a center fire, probably 6.5 mm of some kind. I already have a 15” muzzleloading pistol barrel and a Katadin carbine barrel, both 50 cal. Don’t need another muzzleloader, and wanted a winter project/challenge. I have enough equipment to get in over my head but it looks like an interesting concept.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Does the muzzleloader barrel lug have an extractor slot and extractor? If not, purchasing a centerfire Encore will be the way to go.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
It has a slot and extractor that pulled the 209 primer out. This is more about seeing if I can do it, than a need for the barrel. It’s also a budget build thing. I bought it on this forum for this purpose. Seller was up front about the condition of the bore and the barrel overall, and it was reasonably priced.

I have a bunch of traditional muzzleloaders and have had some with pitted bores. Even had an encore barrel that was pitted. That’s the one that is now a pistol barrel. They can tolerate some pitting and still shoot well, just harder to clean. But, I don’t need a muzzleloader barrel.

Somewhere out there is someone who has one of these., or a chronic tinkerer who has made one.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
David White used to do barrel stubbing, but I think he’s passed away. Lots of his info out there though.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
White passed about a year ago. With his site gone, much of the detailed info is also gone. I’m coming up empty looking for input on ID measurements for the stub, or minimum OD measurement for the barrel being sleeved in.

Last edited by Rawhide67; 08/29/22.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Mike Bellm?

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I’ve read through Bellm’s website. I don’t really want to call and pick his brain for something I want to do myself. Feels like walking in to a car repair shop and asking them to diagnose your car problem so you can fix it yourself.

Hoping someone has one of these sleeved barrels or has assembled one or more of them. I don’t think I’m in the danger zone with chambering it for 6.5 Grendel.

I’ve posted this question on multiple forums, with no specific input regarding how it is done. But, no one has said don’t do it either. I would bet that somewhere, someone who has done this or knows how to do it, has read one of the posts and would chime in if they thought I was going to blow myself up.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I looked at barrel stubbing several years ago. I always came to the conclusion buying a custom barrel from MGM or Bullberry was about the same price. IIRC all the stubbed barrels I was looking at were made from 12 ga shotgun barrels.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Having a gunsmith do this would be about the same as ordering one from MGM. But, doing it myself, I’m saving at least 50%, and I like the challenge. Started making a spider for the other end of my lathe spindle today. Should make dialing in the barrel for threading and chambering easier and more accurate.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You might try reading the links, seems like the photos are dead though.

GBO barrel stubb link1

There are decent photos in this one.

GBO barrel stub link 2

You're correct, it might be a worthwhile project if you have the tools and skills.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I’ve got the equipment. As for the skills, I’ll find out. I don’t think I will make a retaining nut like the second guy did. I don’t want to cut the breach end down any more than I have to.

Wish I could send PM’s on GBO, I would pick the brains of both of these guys.

Thanks for the links.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a few partially completed lugs if you what a jump start on your project.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
oops, mine are Contender not Encore.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Any reference I’ve found for contender stubs involves very small calibers. One guy did have a 6.5 Grendel done. Makes me think if a contender can handle it, an Encore certainly would.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The Specialty Pistols site is gone unfortunately but I know there were a few guys on there doing them because I sold a few junk ML barrels specifically for that. Maybe post on Savage Shooters, they absorbed some of the SP members

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
may have the info you seek. sent you a PM

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
PM returned. The project has been on the back burner, awaiting some knowledgeable input, before I tackle it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.