Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
FWIW.....

A buddy of mine sent me his GPO 10x50 RangeBino to see what I think of them and had them in the field for the better part of a month. I currently own a really great sample of the Fury 5000 AB, and he wanted to see how his compared as I recently finished out the mule deer season here in TX. I've been hunting whitetails with the Fury as well since early November, and My eyeballs see it like this:

Optics-GPO has a slight yellow tint and appears brighter than the Fury AB, but glassing with them both side by side on tripods tells me they both get you at least to the end of legal shooting light (30 min after sunset). Optics in both units are equally sharp, and they are sharp. No advantage either way in light gathering ability.

Build quality-slight edge to the GPO. They are very smooth to operate, and everything that is supposed to move and adjust does so very smoothly. The Fury works well though and I've got no complaints with it after extensive use.

Rangefinder-GPO is very fast to get a readout, the Fury is ever so slightly lagging, but is still fast. The Fury has more range than the GPO. I can get ranges pretty consistently on sandhills and tank batteries out to 4000 yds with the Fury, and the GPO will "only" get to 2800, which is plenty far enough. The Fury has been unaffected by cold weather ranging, the GPO has as well and they both ranged equally well in temps down to 20* which is as cold of weather as we've had. Both are light years ahead of the Geovid's I've owned in this regard and it's not even close. The Fury doesn't miss a beat at 15* F, which is the coldest temps I've tried them in while whitetail hunting up in the TX Panhandle. Very impressive to say the least.

I had never laid eyes on a GPO bino of any sort, and this 10x50 RF/Bino is very, very impressive. I'd own one in a heartbeat over the 3 Geovid's I personally owned/tried. I'll answer any questions if I can.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the post, good info.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks JG great post.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good report. You'll probably be branded a communist sympathizer by some of the dipshits here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JG, thanks for the review. How do they compare to other binos, like SLCs, or Leica Trinovids or Ultravids? Certainly good enough, but would you be missing a bit of optical quality for long glassing periods off a tripod?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I can't specifically speak to that 270. I've been hunting relatively open country for over 50 years. We guided aoudad, antelope, whitetail, and mule deer hunts for 16 years but haven't done that for about 6 years now. I've seen, and owned for that matter, a whole bunch of high end "alpha" glass during that time. What I can guarantee you is that with the mid level glass today, and these GPO's are much better than mid level optics, you can put the mid level+ binos on a tripod, side by side with the "alpha" stuff, and you won't see things through one that you can't see equally as well through the other. In other words, there's never been a time a hunter found a buck through his Ultravid/Swarovision or whatever that I couldn't see as well with my Gold RIng HD, Meostar HD, etc.
x
Same thing specifically with these GPO's and Fury AB's for that matter. I had my SLC HD 8x42's mule deer hunting at the same time. The SLC's are optically superior, but I had no trouble doing what I described above with all 3.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Good report. You'll probably be branded a communist sympathizer by some of the dipshits here.

I hear you GW. All I can say is I was pleasantly surprised how nice those GPO's are, and I greatly underestimated how good the new Fury AB's are. I can also say that experience trumps opinions and guessing every single time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ten four, makes sense. Thanks JG.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
220 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.