Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Backroads
Serious money, lol

Not to mention labor intensive unless in a permanent blind on your own back forty pond. Especially, the dry field hunters.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Serious Duck hunting requires a lot of work and effort. Be interesting to know who does a lot of it. And if they hunt with friends, how they feel about shooting them on the water.

The few times I’ve gone with those who take it seriously, it obviously wouldn’t have been a good idea.
Does serious duck hunting require super serious facial expressions while hunting? Ties and tweed?

Lol

Some serious business here boys, requires serious hunters.

Don’t forget a flat cap and Barbour waxed coats and pants. 🙂

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm still trying to figure out how to define a serious duck hunter.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I'm still trying to figure out how to define a serious duck hunter.

He’s willing to go out in bad weather for a chance at a Bufflehead. 😳

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting up at 2 am, setting 8 dozen dekes and honking on kazoos til noon to pot a limit.
All while giving us dirty looks for floating through the spread with a heavy canoe.
Serious work.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Serious Duck hunting requires a lot of work and effort. Be interesting to know who does a lot of it. And if they hunt with friends, how they feel about shooting them on the water.

The few times I’ve gone with those who take it seriously, it obviously wouldn’t have been a good idea.
Does serious duck hunting require super serious facial expressions while hunting? Ties and tweed?

Lol

Flat caps are todays cool...Like some of the old farts here thought ducktail haircuts and high laced up boots were cool. Just because they no longer look like LL Bean on his best day, doesn't mean they are not "serious".... laugh Old farts…I are one🤓….running down how the youth of today do it is often good for a chuckle. BTW...Barbour is out, Sitka and Kuiu are in. laugh

Last edited by battue; 06/29/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried Barbour stuff in Alaska. It was like living inside a shower. And it stunk. It’s not for moving around in. Sometimes newer IS better.

I have some Sitka/Kuiu stuff that even works for pheasant hunting.

But I still do like some flat caps!

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have no real objection to occasional water swatting a duck or goose and then shooting the rise but prefer it not be among my decoys. Maybe it’s just me but pellet holes in my decoys annoy me. Whether it’s my pellets or someone else’s.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We have so many decoys at our club, shot decoys is just part of it. Every member brings 6-7 dozen. I figure 6-8 of mine will get irreparably shot every year. Part of the price of doing business.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have just 3-4 dozen and just hunt small spreads. Normally by myself or with 1-2 others. It’s fun to introduce new folks to waterfowling but sometimes their enthusiasm overwhelms their judgement when it comes to avoiding shooting the decoys.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mart
I have just 3-4 dozen and just hunt small spreads. Normally by myself or with 1-2 others. It’s fun to introduce new folks to waterfowling but sometimes their enthusiasm overwhelms their judgement when it comes to avoiding shooting the decoys.

I have strong reason to believe that a bismuth #4 will easily penetrate mojo’s wing. 🫤

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you're "ground-sluicing" ducks and geese you are either a kid that doesn't know any better or an adult that can't wingshoot.

/thread

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't even like shooting crips on the water that's why you have a retriever. But if you don't get it done in a hurry. A young lab learns in a hurry with a crip. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m known to dispatch crippled ducks quickly, especially on larger waters. No water rodeos for me. I’ve got hunting to do!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
If I haven’t hit my limit I will not hesitate to shoot a bird on the water. I don’t hunt some boomer duck club. I hunt public for meat on the table. It’s fun and I enjoy it even in the cold miserable days when much isn’t flying, but the sportsmanship BS stops when it comes to getting table fare.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
“Boomer Duck club” ….always interesting to see how some are willing to run down certain individuals….their reasoning being they have achieved the American ideal of success in their chosen path. And can then enjoy some of the nice benefits it brings.

The Dems think much the same…. In that the successful are somehow to be looked at with distaste.

Last edited by battue; 07/02/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I tried Barbour stuff in Alaska. It was like living inside a shower. And it stunk. It’s not for moving around in. Sometimes newer IS better.

The old farts on the fire think the flat billed group are somehow inferior in their hunting/shooting experiences.Old Farts can be really funny....and think they have seen it all... laugh

Old Fart in a Boomer Club... grin

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by battue; 07/03/23.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

Lol

Flat caps are todays cool...Like some of the old farts here thought ducktail haircuts and high laced up boots were cool. Just because they no longer look like LL Bean on his best day, doesn't mean they are not "serious".... laugh Old farts…I are one🤓….running down how the youth of today do it is often good for a chuckle. BTW...Barbour is out, Sitka and Kuiu are in. laugh
While i remember some who had the D A haircuts, i dont remember any of them wearing the high boots. lol
And id rather not remember me wearing them either.
If there is one thing we can be thanfull for, it was the creation of good boots.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That and LW clothes and better rain gear beat the good old days every day. Getting there is another. Opportunities can be argued, in some cases are not for the better. Along with access.

Guns are not necessarily better. Ammo is.
Then again, “These are the good old days!!!!

Last edited by battue; 07/03/23.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Yea, I liked (and still do) the look of Filson waxed cotton. In reality, it’s like hunting in a sauna. I ditched all mine and wear newer stuff now. I’m still typically shooting a double gun, though. I mean some things really ARE sacred! 😏

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
743 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.