Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#18083898 01/31/23
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
The “What is it about Elk” thread got me thinking about Roe Bucks. I’ve never even seen a live roe buck but they really catch my attention. One day I want to hunt them. You guys that have taken them post up some pics and stories please.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got this old buck near Oxborough, England. It reminded me of whitetail kind of habitat. Grass fields between flat, forested areas. I am not sure how rugged of terrain they can live in but they flourish in easier, forested habitat. I took a cull doe too. This property was very carefully managed as most properties are in England, so the hunting wasn't hard by any means, though they are absolutely wild, free ranging critters. The nice thing about roe is that they're hard horned in spring, and (in England at least) the season opens April 1, so you don't have to take time during the normal hunting season here in the states, to hunt them over there.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have also seen them in western Spain, where I have been told they grow really big. They were in more hilly habitat there, but nothing too crazy. I have a few more things I want to kill first but someday I plan to hunt these in the Scottish highlands.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Beautiful buck, have you hunted them very much?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No, not really. I have seen them in a few countries and watched them: how they act, what habitat live in and such but only actually hunted them on that one trip to England.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I see, great buck either way. What kind of mount did you get of him? Did you eat any of the venison, if so how was it?

Last edited by LBP; 01/31/23.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No photos, I'll have to try to find and upload....

My son was stationed in Germany, we went to Poland to hunt Roe Deer and pigs.

Cannot recommend it highly enough, not a tough hunt, and the accomdations are fantastic!!! Food is terriffic also.

I took 4 roe (limit was 5) my son took 3.

Wonerful eating, though ours seemed to really stink after they were hung. I never saw a pig, my son did but didn't get a shot.

We did skull plates only.

One day I'd like to hunt Romania, but that's further down the list.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LBP
I see, great buck either way. What kind of mount did you get of him? Did you eat any of the venison, if so how was it?

Thanks!
Just a skull mount. I am not much of a taxidermy guy.

I ate one of his backstraps. They tasted fine, and was just like any other deer/elk/whatever to me. The outfit I hunted with sold the rest of the meat, as well as the muntjac and water deer I killed. It is legal to do so I guess.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Hancock27
No photos, I'll have to try to find and upload....

My son was stationed in Germany, we went to Poland to hunt Roe Deer and pigs.

Cannot recommend it highly enough, not a tough hunt, and the accomdations are fantastic!!! Food is terriffic also.

I took 4 roe (limit was 5) my son took 3.

Wonerful eating, though ours seemed to really stink after they were hung. I never saw a pig, my son did but didn't get a shot.

We did skull plates only.

One day I'd like to hunt Romania, but that's further down the list.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by LBP

Thanks!
Just a skull mount. I am not much of a taxidermy guy.

I ate one of his backstraps. They tasted fine, and was just like any other deer/elk/whatever to me. The outfit I hunted with sold the rest of the meat, as well as the muntjac and water deer I killed. It is legal to do so I guess.

I really want to give it a try, can you guys recommend an outfitter? I’ve seen the hunt on this forum from Unforgettable Hunting (Horia) and read some reviews of his hunts and it looks like a good deal. His hunts are in Romania.

Last edited by LBP; 02/01/23.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
https://www.bookyourhunt.com/en/Tour/11744?species=Roe%20deer#

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this was the outfit.
Poland is wonderful,

If I were going back, I'd probably go to Romania for Chamois and Roe Deer.

Roe opens in the summer (when I ws visiting) so the timing worked out for me.

we saw Red Deer and Fallow but they were not open yet - they're typical fall hunts

Last edited by Hancock27; 02/01/23.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Poland hunt looks great.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have hunted them in Romania and Sweden and taken a half dozen or so decent bucks and maybe a dozen total. Some of the nicer bucks were killed with Horia that an outfitter in this forum. I think they eat pretty well. Definitely a little more wild tasting than a corn fed whitetail but still very enjoyable. The hunts have been spot and stalk thru vineyards or expansive farm fields. Also have set up on the edge of a wood line over looking clear cuts or pasture and a couple were on driven hunts in the forest.

Some key takeaways -The seasons are generally pretty generous and they are not very expensive to hunt. A hunt can be done in a day or two while on a family vacation and they are all over Europe. They can be enjoyably challenging but not overly physically demanding to hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Semper Fi

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Those are some really great bucks! I’ve spoke to Horia and it seems like he offers a great hunt. Curious of your hunts with him did you take your own rifle?

Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I do miss Rehbuck hunting. I'd say if you go try and go end of July / early August as that is the rutting time in most places. I've had many hunts for them all across Europe. Most hunts are done from highseats but you can stalk them also, depends. I had a Buttelo and called this one in, a Czech Republic hunt, great times. Hope you get to go and enjoy! Waidmannsheil.

Well, I've never been able to post pictures on this site, sucks. That (bleep) shouldn't be in there, but it inserts without it in url, what the hell?

[img]https://uniim1.[bleep].com/rende...HISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1407085165[/img]

[img]https://photos.[bleep].com/album/70081787099/full/71957983755[/img]

Last edited by Dom; 02/01/23.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by LBP
Those are some really great bucks! I’ve spoke to Horia and it seems like he offers a great hunt. Curious of your hunts with him did you take your own rifle?
I have not but that was because I was working overseas during those trips and my rifles were in the states. I will try to make it over to hunt with him again in the next year or so and will be bringing my rifle(s) on that trip. FWIW he has a pretty good selection or "loaner" rifles and I had no issues either trip.

Semper Fi

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
That’s good to know. BTW he said bringing your own rifle was no problem at all.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
LBP Taking your rifle to eastern Europe is fairly straight forward, the issue is other European countries. Heard of guys going to Africa and landing in a European country that confiscated firearms. Real horror stories.

I took my rifle to Africa but not Europe as I was going to Germany then hunting in Poland.

The outfit I hunted with had a nice SAKO (Which is what I shoot) 243 and a TIKKA (which my son shoots) 308.

Europe and other countries are not like us in the United States, in that they typically don't own 20+ guns, the ones they have are high quality and common chambers, such as 308 and maybe a 300 Mag.

There is a story in Africa Hunting about a hunt in Spain, there the client was not familiar at all with the provided gun (Blaser I think?) and it was in 8X57.

Also, Say your in Romania and want to tour, your firearm will have to be secured which might mean the local police station and then trying to get it back and back into the States.

As much as I love my rifles, I wouldn't pay for the permits and headaches, personally.

Also, check because some guys "rent" guns and charge for each round you shoot, and definitely shoot the gun before hand to make sure it's on for you.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
That’s good to know.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dom
I do miss Rehbuck hunting. I'd say if you go try and go end of July / early August as that is the rutting time in most places. I've had many hunts for them all across Europe. Most hunts are done from highseats but you can stalk them also, depends. I had a Buttelo and called this one in, a Czech Republic hunt, great times. Hope you get to go and enjoy! Waidmannsheil.

Well, I've never been able to post pictures on this site, sucks. That (bleep) shouldn't be in there, but it inserts without it in url, what the hell?

[img]https://uniim1.[bleep].com/render/00--hg_K7nlTyyhMXxRTLUblPWBkxF5tDYe7VrPtL4XS8omp6lk2n5LcAtJlSzTkO6x?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1407085165[/img]

[img]https://photos.[bleep].com/album/70081787099/full/71957983755[/img]
Thanks Dom

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I always borrow rifles on foreign hunts. Even in countries where importing them generally isn’t an issue from a legal standpoint, there is always the crooked baggage handlers or firearm control folks to think about. Another consideration is if it gets stolen, either at the airport, hotel or wherever….holy cow, what then?

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
That’s true.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.