Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tikka, and it's not even close.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tikka.

I’ve had 3 tikkas and been around several more. They all feed shoot and function perfectly, I was around one RAR that we never could get to shoot. Could’ve been unlucky but the stock was terrible. The tip at the barrel had ALOT of flex and kept touching the barrel if you weren’t careful.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My predator shoots better but I like the Tikka better. It’s a different class of rifle.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
For the same price? Tikka, for sure. For a few hundred bucks less than the Tikka, the Ruger is a great option.
The Tikka is a 10 twist and the RAP is a 9 twist if that matters to you. There's been a lot of speculation of the coming to US shores of the 8 twist Tikka but I have read no confirmation of that occurring yet.

SAS cleared it up a couple week’s ago. He said the 243’s are indeed 1-8”.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tikka. The Predator’s fore end just does not fit my hands at all. Don’t know why Ruger couldn’t have just kept it round or slightly oval in cross section. The finger groove fore ends just don’t work for me at all.

GreggH

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went with the Ruger Predator 243

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I bought a Ruger American Preditor in May of 2022. Over a six month span, it went back to the factory twice. When I sent it back the second time - I told them to keep it!

The first time I sent it back was because of excessive headspace. They replaced the barrel and the bolt.

I got the riflle back - mounted the scope - and headed to the range.

Over the course of 3 range sessions, the rifle shot well. That is...untill I pulled the trigger....and the firing pin assembly unlocked from the bolt...and fell back into my hand.

I called Ruger and explained in detail what happened. I told them that a firing pin asembly should NEVER just unlock from a bolt. I told them that I did not trust the rifle and I wanted a replacement or my money back. They sent me a shipping label - and I sent it back a second time.

Two weeks after they received it, I got a call telling me that the rifle had been repaired. "Repaired" I asked??

The rep told me that they replaced the firing pin assembly and the bolt handle due to "premature wear." Premature wear, I asked? After just 27 rounds??

I won't go into the full conversation - it was heated.

At any rate, I received the rifle back from the factory in early December...and I have not even bothered to open the box.

Prior to purchacing the Ruger, everything I had read was positive. That's why I bought it. In fact, at the gun store, on the same rack, was a Tikka in the same caliber. The Ruger was $400 cheaper...so I bought it.

This is a test sample of one...but for me...I will not own another Ruger American. That $400 dollars I saved...might have well been thrown in the trash.

Get the Tikka!!

Last edited by GeorgiaBoy; 02/05/23.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I bought a Ruger American Preditor in May of 2022. Over a six month span, it went back to the factory twice. When I sent it back the second time - I told them to keep it!

The first time I sent it back was because of excessive headspace. They replaced the barrel and the bolt.

I got the riflle back - mounted the scope - and headed to the range.

Over the course of 3 range sessions, the rifle shot well. That is...untill I pulled the trigger....and the firing pin assembly unlocked from the bolt...and fell back into my hand.

I called Ruger and explained in detail what happened. I told them that a firing pin asembly should NEVER just unlock from a bolt. I told them that I did not trust the rifle and I wanted a replacement or my money back. They sent me a shipping label - and I sent it back a second time.

Two weeks after they received it, I got a call telling me that the rifle had been repaired. "Repaired" I asked??

The rep told me that they replaced the firing pin assembly and the bolt handle due to "premature wear." Premature wear, I asked? After just 27 rounds??

I won't go into the full conversation - it was heated.

At any rate, I received the rifle back from the factory in early December...and I have not even bothered to open the box.

Prior to purchacing the Ruger, everything I had read was positive. That's why I bought it. In fact, at the gun store, on the same rack, was a Tikka in the same caliber. The Ruger was $400 cheaper...so I bought it.

This is a test sample of one...but for me...I will not own another Ruger American. That $400 dollars I saved...might have well been thrown in the trash.

Get the Tikka!!

That's awful. I'd be just as put off as you under the same circumstances. My RAR has run fine and I've never had feeding/mag issues.

As to this thread, I really don't put these rifles in the same category. I think the Tikka is an exceptionally well made rifle, built to preform and last. I view the RAR as a "disposable" rifle. Sort of like comparing a Lincoln Town car to a Nissan Versa.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
For the same price? Tikka, for sure. For a few hundred bucks less than the Tikka, the Ruger is a great option.
The Tikka is a 10 twist and the RAP is a 9 twist if that matters to you. There's been a lot of speculation of the coming to US shores of the 8 twist Tikka but I have read no confirmation of that occurring yet.

SAS cleared it up a couple week’s ago. He said the 243’s are indeed 1-8”.
Nice. I knew they were coming just not that they had yet arrived.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for a Teeker. I like quite a few Ruger products, with Ruger 77’s and No1’s, and Ruger revolvers being at the top of that particular list. With that being said, only one of the 77’s currently in my safe comes close to my T3 Superlite and T3x in accuracy. Your money, your choice…but I’d buy the Tikka. 😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
with Tikka going to an 8 twist can one "assume" that it will accommodate the higher BC bullets?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tikka

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
I went with the Ruger Predator 243

if i go with the Predator i'm going with the 6CM.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Another vote for a Teeker. I like quite a few Ruger products, with Ruger 77’s and No1’s, and Ruger revolvers being at the top of that particular list. With that being said, only one of the 77’s currently in my safe comes close to my T3 Superlite and T3x in accuracy. Your money, your choice…but I’d buy the Tikka. 😎

I am of the same mind. Love my Rugers but of the two rifles it’s a Tikka for me.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve owned both in 243 and I don’t shoot anything heavier than 100gr. I still have my T3x Superlite.

There is no comparison when it comes to which is “nicer”, the Tikka hands down. They both shoot well, the edge going to the Tikka because it basically shoots everything well.

I had the RAR with rotary magazine and it worked, but not very smoothly. It’s cramped vs the M+ magazine offered by Tikka. The 6CM and newer magazines should give the OAL nod to the RAR.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Tikka, hands down!

Ruger Americans are fairly accurate but they just feel and look cheap…no thank you.

I own 2 Tikka T3X Superlites…..dang nice rifles!

Leftybolt

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok,,,,, these are what I've got, and both Shoot Lights-Out, triggers set @ 3 1/2lbs,,,,,, cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

Attached Images
LJ's Been Busy in Alaska (2).jpg (70.88 KB, 209 downloads)
Last edited by AK375DGR; 02/05/23.

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for posting jc189! that was a very cool video to watch...

makes me want to trade in a couple of rifles and bring home a new Sako to replace them...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok,,,,, these are what I've got, and both Shoot Lights-Out, triggers set @ 3 1/2lbs,,,,,, cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool
Shooting one of these myself.

I think they are talking about the American Predators though, not the Hawkeye Predator.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
Thanks for posting jc189! that was a very cool video to watch...

makes me want to trade in a couple of rifles and bring home a new Sako to replace them...

I'd take a long hard look at a Sako 85 carbonlite myself.
https://choose.sako.fi/usa/sako_85/85-carbonlight

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 3,493 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.