Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I found a pretty nice bare pre64 Mod 70 receiver in one of my drawers. Do I sell it or can parts be found to complete it at a reasonable price?

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Butchlambert: If it has the bolt with the receiver I say build an "all-around" Western Rifle with it - in caliber 25/06 Remington.
If it doesn't have the bolt put it back in the "drawer" or try to sell it.
Best of luck whichever you do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Standard caliber barrels and modified (user) pre64 stocks are available at reasonable cost.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here's a source for parts. He has pretty much anything you'll need, but not particularly cheap. Bottom line, the stuff's out there.

https://pre64win.com/

If I didn't have more projects going than enough I would be talking to you!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/31/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Butchlambert: If it has the bolt with the receiver I say build an "all-around" Western Rifle with it - in caliber 25/06 Remington.
If it doesn't have the bolt put it back in the "drawer" or try to sell it.
Best of luck whichever you do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

No, it is a bare receiver. You're right, put it back up in the drawer.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Uhh, you never know, Butch. Some well heeled connoisseur of custom M70's might come along and want a no-holds-barred gun!

Bolts: expensive, but the small parts aren't. Hang a Shilen barrel on it.....

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/31/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Uhh, you never know, Butch. Some well heeled connoisseur of custom M70's might come along and want a no-holds-barred gun!

At 80yrs old I have a full safe of customs and don't need another. I think that I will put it away for now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Bolts are very expensive. I'd also check ebay. There is a stripped bolt listed there right now for $250.. They have a nice new steel floorplate too, that I'd buy if I was in the market for one. The main problem with piece mealing this schidt is I can find complete rifles for less money than it's going to cost you to put one together, even if you put one back together like it was factory again. I know where a nice rifle is that has been rechambered. They are wanting $850 for the complete working rifle, with die set and a box of reloading components.. Probably $150 worth of extra's there, so rifle is around $700.00.. Plus it has a Leupold on it. The gloss Leupy's sell for some pretty good money now days. Even if you took off $200 for that, the complete rifle is in the $500 range.. Just the way my mind works..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bolts are very expensive. I'd also check ebay. There is a stripped bolt listed there right now for $250.. They have a nice new steel floorplate too, that I'd buy if I was in the market for one. The main problem with piece mealing this schidt is I can find complete rifles for less money than it's going to cost you to put one together, even if you put one back together like it was factory again. I know where a nice rifle is that has been rechambered. They are wanting $850 for the complete working rifle, with die set and a box of reloading components.. Probably $150 worth of extra's there, so rifle is around $700.00.. Plus it has a Leupold on it. The gloss Leupy's sell for some pretty good money now days. Even if you took off $200 for that, the complete rifle is in the $500 range.. Just the way my mind works..

We think about the same way and I've got a bunch that I've not done anything with. I was lucky to buy a much older custom built on a VZ33 for next to nothing and it is not drilled for scope bases. Just sitting here with others.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Fellow on another forum has offered me 2 bolts,one complete, and other parts for a very fair price.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Fellow on another forum has offered me 2 bolts,one complete, and other parts for a very fair price.

Sounds great. I've seen some of your work. You can have a rifle up and running in no time. Good luck with your project.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Personally I’m of the opinion that bringing a classic old rifle back to life is even better than bringing back a useless car. 😀😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Personally I’m of the opinion that bringing a classic old rifle back to life is even better than bringing back a useless car. 😀😂

Only sometime.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,117 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.