24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
skywag Offline OP
OP Offline
Just for fun. JK has passed...........but his art remains.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gorgeous! What calibers?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for sharing.

Magnificent rifles.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow! They are nice! Wow, what a bunch of beauties!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
WOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice rifles. Thanks for sharing. Anymore info you can share with us about each one??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful rifles!

And I am sad to hear that he passed.

Mine are also pre-war, but High Power XTC rifles.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Beautiful rifles. I knew Cloward quite well and I shot with him a lot. He was president (iirc) of the private range I belonged to as well. I’ve sold a countless number of rifles he built. He built nice stuff but he could be a crusty PIA know-it-all. I’m a bit rough around the edges too so his smart ass comment was met with my reply…. I got the impression that he was used to getting away with being a dick but he hit a wall with me. We butted heads but he eventually realized that he might get further with me if he wasn’t an ass. It took a year or two before we started to get along but we eventually did.

Cloward is no different than many gun guys from his generation…crusty, grumpy and their opinions are the only ones that mattered. If it wasn’t a pre64 model 70 then “it’s total crap and not worth my time” kind of attitude.

Cloward had a decent reputation (locally) for building decent stuff but the biggest problem most guys had wasn’t with his work but rather his attitude. I knew dozens and dozens of guys that felt exactly like I felt about him. 😬

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Beautiful rifles. I knew Cloward quite well and I shot with him a lot. He was president (iirc) of the private range I belonged to as well. I’ve sold a countless number of rifles he built. He built nice stuff but he could be a crusty PIA know-it-all. I’m a bit rough around the edges too so his smart ass comment was met with my reply…. I got the impression that he was used to getting away with being a dick but he hit a wall with me. We butted heads but he eventually realized that he might get further with me if he wasn’t an ass. It took a year or two before we started to get along but we eventually did.

Cloward is no different than many gun guys from his generation…crusty, grumpy and their opinions are the only ones that mattered. If it wasn’t a pre64 model 70 then “it’s total crap and not worth my time” kind of attitude.

Cloward had a decent reputation (locally) for building decent stuff but the biggest problem most guys had wasn’t with his work but rather his attitude. I knew dozens and dozens of guys that felt exactly like I felt about him. 😬

That was cool to hear about him like that. He must've been a crusty fella.

Nice rifles though.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

That was cool to hear about him like that. He must've been a crusty fella.

Nice rifles though.

Sounds like the steel workers and ship builders I grew up with and worked with.. Those guys don't take schidt from anyone. Just how it is..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
acesneights: "I" am NOT one of the ALLEGED "dozens and dozens" of people who thought Jim Cloward was an egotistical blow-hard like YOU allege!
I met Jim over 55 years ago and traded guns with him, bought guns from him and had him build and repair guns for me!
In fact during those 55 years of interactions with Jim I NEVER once saw him insult anyone!
I even did the preliminary investigation of a burglary at one of his gunshops that was in my patrol district.
I remember when Jim won the Wimbledon Cup with one of his own customized Rifles - YOU don't just do that with "decent" Rifles!
Sheesh!
I only have two of Jims wonderfully accurate Rifles left in my collection but I implore you to pay attention to this - THEY are both way more accurate than just "decent"!
Again, sheesh.
I know numerous shooters who own and shoot/shot his Rifles - NONE of them were just decent accuracy wise or in the looks/function department.
I again shake my head at your blather and must wonder if it is YOUR ego that has run amok?
Not only was Jim a fantastic Riflesmith and artisan he was an enthusiastic Hunter, a very decent human being and a devout Republican!
PERIOD.

Skywag: Those are all especially beautiful Rifles (WAY above just "decent" looking, obviously!) made by Jim Cloward - good for you!
If you don't mind my asking which calibers are they and how do they shoot?
My current Cloward Rifles are both heavy barrels and shoot extremely well.
Again, good for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by skywag
Just for fun. JK has passed...........but his art remains.

Beautiful

+1 on calibers please

“Factio democratica delenda est"
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Beautiful rifles, very elegant and classy.
I believe he was instrumental in the Pacific Research synthetic stock design. I have one of those stocks and really wish I could find a couple more as they are great stocks IMHO.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Excellent collection. I would also like more details about each rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Beautiful rifles, very elegant and classy.
I believe he was instrumental in the Pacific Research synthetic stock design. I have one of those stocks and really wish I could find a couple more as they are great stocks IMHO.

I agree. I've seen some of his rifles that have had them. Someone here said Al Biesen actually designed that stock, but Cloward used them. If someone has the full story, I'd like to hear it. I just bought a rifle with a stock that has very similar lines and it is wood/walnut. That rifle is not a custom by any means, but very nice for what it is. I've been wringing it out over the last few days, since I got it..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I found a picture of my Cloward 1937 in 308 + later 1948 in new-fangled 6.5x308.

The post war 6.5 was later sold, but I have another 1941 in 308 somewhere...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cloward-xtc-m70s#lg=18087272&slide=0

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jim built two of my rifles. They both shot very well.

He built this post-64 Palma/Match rifle for Gary Rasmussen, who sold it to me. I used it with sights, and time to time with a scope and achieved my High Master rating with it. Wonderful rifle! Eventually I sold it to another competitor who wanted his son to have a good rifle for competition:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That 308 Win was very accurate, if I missed the bull, it was very much my fault, not the fault of the rifle.

He also built my SWAT rifle, another 308 Win, but a Remington 700 action which saw a couple of different stocks, one lightweight HS Precision stock to which he added additional bedding, and the other an M40A1-3 which Kelly McMillan gave me for evaluating the design for tactical use.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I shot high master scores with in too, in prone competition and did well in various tactical/practical matches with it prior to the advent of the PRS series.

Regards, Guy

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Beautiful Rifles Skywag. The wood is stunning! Always nice to see some real craftsmanship, art.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
skywag Offline OP
OP Offline
I never found JK to be anything other than a complete gentleman. Just like me.........except I can be an [bleep] too. I shot Hi-Power with him out at the Machias Range.

Most of these rifles are from his early Seattle/Aurora store. Calibers? Pretty boring.......All .270 Win. Accuracy.......also pretty boring......I never shot them.

I just liked his art and kept him busy. He and his wife Annette dined with us on Lake Washington................and he loved to tell of his Africa hunting adventures.

One reason I never shot them is that I had one that I did. It is 30.06 and was the first one he built for me. I have an interesting story about that rifle though. It killed my one and only deer.

My dad was the American Dream. He immigrated from Germany to the USA in 1921/ couldn't speak the language..........and died young at 62.....a millionaire. He became the largest employer in Oregon and COMPLETELY lost his accent. You'd have thought he was born/raised in Oregon. He loved airplanes and I became a Private Pilot in 1965. He was one of my first passengers. I had no idea he would be dead 3 weeks later. He died of formaldehyde poisoning.

Anyway, on his deathbed at the Mayo Clinic, he told my mother to buy me an airplane. She bought me a brand new Super Cub and flew it home from Lock Haven-Portland with a total time of about 50 hours.

I had hunter/pilot friends and we flew those Super Cubs into Hells Canyon (the deepest canyon in N America)the night before opening season. The deer were pressured by the boats 3000' below and by the trucks 3000 ft above. So where we landed our Cubs 1/2 up on the side of the canyon there were deer EVERWHERE. Hundreds!!

We had a bucket of white paint and went out in the field that night, and marked/painted the two largest bucks with a BIG white "X".

Then, the next morning, opening day, we just shot those two bucks.........loaded them in the Super Cubs, and flew home. Anyway.....this is the rifle........re-stocked/reworked by JK.

Most parts of the above story are actually true!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by skywag
I never found JK to be anything other than a complete gentleman. Just like me.........except I can be an [bleep] too. I shot Hi-Power with him out at the Machias Range.

Most of these rifles are from his early Seattle/Aurora store. Calibers? Pretty boring.......All .270 Win. Accuracy.......also pretty boring......I never shot them.

I just liked his art and kept him busy. He and his wife Annette dined with us on Lake Washington................and he loved to tell of his Africa hunting adventures.

One reason I never shot them is that I had one that I did. It is 30.06 and was the first one he built for me. I have an interesting story about that rifle though. It killed my one and only deer.

My dad was the American Dream. He immigrated from Germany to the USA in 1921/ couldn't speak the language..........and died young at 62.....a millionaire. He became the largest employer in Oregon and COMPLETELY lost his accent. You'd have thought he was born/raised in Oregon. He loved airplanes and I became a Private Pilot in 1965. He was one of my first passengers. I had no idea he would be dead 3 weeks later. He died of formaldehyde poisoning.

Anyway, on his deathbed at the Mayo Clinic, he told my mother to buy me an airplane. She bought me a brand new Super Cub and flew it home from Lock Haven-Portland with a total time of about 50 hours.

I had hunter/pilot friends and we flew those Super Cubs into Hells Canyon (the deepest canyon in N America)the night before opening season. The deer were pressured by the boats 3000' below and by the trucks 3000 ft above. So where we landed our Cubs 1/2 up on the side of the canyon there were deer EVERWHERE. Hundreds!!

We had a bucket of white paint and went out in the field that night, and marked/painted the two largest bucks with a BIG white "X".

Then, the next morning, opening day, we just shot those two bucks.........loaded them in the Super Cubs, and flew home. Anyway.....this is the rifle........re-stocked/reworked by JK.

Most parts of the above story are actually true!

Cool story and beautiful rifle.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 2,883 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.