Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Looking at one that has been painted camo by bubba, doesn’t look beat up and was made in 1980. I’m sure I can get the paint off with a little patience. They want 660 out the door. Are there any years that were better or worse than others? Trying to decide if I want to get it.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For $660 you could buy that, clean it up and if you don't like it, sell it and make a few hundred bucks.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
I’ve owned two. The first one was a long time ago when they first came out. I was frustrated that they wouldn’t wok with the Keith style cast bullets it was the tube feed model. The next one was. The later model. I have no need for a 44 that won’t feed cast bullets.

This one eats ‘em all….
[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The most knowledgeable Ruger guys who I ever met were the Rodischin brothers, Bill and Henry, who had worked for Ruger and then opened Rody's Gun Shop in Newport, NH, just down the road from Ruger's Pine Tree Casting plant. They told me that using cast bullets in the Ruger .44 carbines was a sure way to plug the gas port over time, so they recommended only using jacketed bullets, both in factory ammo and reloads.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
owned one years ago. I sold it because of mediocre accuracy and the 240 grain bullet limitation. Went with a Marlin 1894, which is a far superior rifle.

Sam......

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The most knowledgeable Ruger guys who I ever met were the Rodischin brothers, Bill and Henry, who had worked for Ruger and then opened Rody's Gun Shop in Newport, NH, just down the road from Ruger's Pine Tree Casting plant. They told me that using cast bullets in the Ruger .44 carbines was a sure way to plug the gas port over time, so they recommended only using jacketed bullets, both in factory ammo and reloads.

THIS...

Mine are fairly accurate - 2 1/2" off a bag at 100 yards with open sights... I can't shoot better than that with the original Irons.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
owned one years ago. I sold it because of mediocre accuracy and the 240 grain bullet limitation. Went with a Marlin 1894, which is a far superior rifle.

For that small niche of still-hunting or tracking whitetails in heavy cover where a majority of shots are likely to present themselves at close range on an animal that is already on the move, a semi-auto allows the shooter to put lead on target as fast as he/she can keep the sights on target and squeeze the trigger. While lever and pump actions allow for faster follow up shots than bolt or single shot actions, none of them are as fast or less disruptive to the sight picture as a semi-auto. While a Marlin 1894 might be a superior rifle for some hunting scenarios, I don't think that it is in this specific niche. As far as bullet weight goes, the common jacketed 240 grain factory loads that I shoot are accurate enough, around 3 MOA, and penetrate well enough such that a whitetail shot through the lungs is a dead deer. I have a lot of lever and pump action rifles, but when I'm still-hunting whitetails in heavy cover I reach for the Ruger or one of the Winchester 100s. At least that has been my experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still remember the stricken look on my buddy’s face with the .44 Carbine when he was asked to cover an opening about 300 yards long.
You can shoot a close deer with a cartridge that shoots far, but you can’t shoot a far deer with a cartridge that shoots close.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by limabean
Looking at one that has been painted camo by bubba, doesn’t look beat up and was made in 1980. I’m sure I can get the paint off with a little patience. They want 660 out the door. Are there any years that were better or worse than others? Trying to decide if I want to get it.

Supposedly the late production as there was a part redesign . As I remember the early ones have a part (trigger guard?) that is prone to breakage and no parts are available. This is from a aging memory so do some checking. I sold mine a year or so ago, it was a late production gun. Wish I had kept it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Tried a buddys and never could hit anything with but he couldnt either I think he sold it rather quickly.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have one I bought used when I was home on leave from the Navy in 1968. It was the receiver sight model and it has a 4 digit serial number. I had wanted one since they first came out and I'd seen the Ruger ads, something to the effect that, "This is the 5 pound carbine that will put its 240 grain bullet through a 6" pine tree and still kill a deer". The ads with the guy showing the gorilla he'd killed with one really cemented my lust for it. I never got to do anything with it until I returned from SEA in the early '70's. Accuracy was always disappointing, even though I shot Norma's "Carbine Load" ammo in it. I did kill some deer with it however, it was perfect for hunting in the woods, on foot as we used to always do. Eventually I read an article in Rifle magazine about accurizing it. I discovered the stock through-bolt to the rear receiver nest was loose so I tightened that and glass-bedded the gas block. After that treatment, with a 1-4 Bushnell Banner, it would shoot under 2" at 100 yards. Later I put an Aimpoint red dot on it with which I killed probably the biggest bodied deer I ever killed at 200 yards. It sits in the safe at my son's house now. I should get it and put it back into service.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Originally Posted by limabean

Supposedly the late production as there was a part redesign . As I remember the early ones have a part (trigger guard?) that is prone to breakage and no parts are available. This is from a aging memory so do some checking. I sold mine a year or so ago, it was a late production gun. Wish I had kept it.

Yes, there was a redesign due to trigger housing breakage. I also don't know the year. There have been stock breakage problems as well, whether it's 1st or 2nd gen isn't known to me either.

Yes, No cast bullets. Will clog gas system over time & nearly impossible to correct.

I had a new 44-R(factory equipped with a Williams peep) & it was a neat rifle that was fun to shoot. But the no cast bullet thing, plus it throwing a lot of my brass away had me soon losing interest.

Thinking the fact it's discontinued is likely pricing them about double their worth IMO. .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what about the Deerfield Carbine models? They went poof from the catalog pretty quickly. Poor sales or crap design?

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Good question Pappy. They came & went so quick I never learned anything about them..

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

For that small niche of still-hunting or tracking whitetails in heavy cover where a majority of shots are likely to present themselves at close range on an animal that is already on the move, a semi-auto allows the shooter to put lead on target as fast as he/she can keep the sights on target and squeeze the trigger. While lever and pump actions allow for faster follow up shots than bolt or single shot actions, none of them are as fast or less disruptive to the sight picture as a semi-auto. While a Marlin 1894 might be a superior rifle for some hunting scenarios, I don't think that it is in this specific niche. As far as bullet weight goes, the common jacketed 240 grain factory loads that I shoot are accurate enough, around 3 MOA, and penetrate well enough such that a whitetail shot through the lungs is a dead deer. I have a lot of lever and pump action rifles, but when I'm still-hunting whitetails in heavy cover I reach for the Ruger or one of the Winchester 100s. At least that has been my experience.

I agree. I have a Glenfield lever 30-30 that I hunt with, but at the ranges I often hunt it's too noisy for a follow up. A deer will often stand after a miss but as soon as you work the bolt or lever it's gone. A semi would allow a quick follow up without the noise.

Last edited by Ella; 02/03/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
So what about the Deerfield Carbine models? They went poof from the catalog pretty quickly. Poor sales or crap design?
I never shot one, but I did handle one. It was based on the Mini-14, IIRC. I recall complaints about it ejecting brass a bit skyward, often hitting the scope if equipped. Ruger offered a leather protector that sort of strapped around the underside of the scope turret to help with the issue.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Seen & shot several and carried a friends for a few hunts many years ago. Wasn't impressed with the accuracy at all! IMO they are way overpriced for what they are.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As with any other rifle, you MUST shoot several types of ammo to find out what the gun likes. All mine love 240 Jacketed Solid Tips... The 200 gr were not as accurate and the 185 gr were zippy but not as accurate.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bought one in 1982 , it did not seem as solid as my Buddy's older model 44 . I think they went from milled steel to investment casting . He killed a boatload of bucks in NY state with his. From what I understand parts are hard to find and Ruger no longer services them.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
When younger, I couldn't leave anything alone.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (257 mag, 35, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 14 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,139
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.