It turned out good that’s for sure!

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Mac, Is that a DWM made in Berlin or an Argentine made action? 1909's are a darn good action. I would build a 257 Roberts on it. No mods needed other than barreling it up. A 30-06 will fit with some massaging. Some of the Argentine built are a bit prone to being soft in the recoil lug area. Not a danger but not good for long hard use. Build it up.

They tend to be soft in the locking lug area, not the recoil lug area. But they are nice both because of the fit & finish as well as the accommodating nature of their feed rails.

Thanks Double Aught. That stock was, believe it or not, bought from Richard's Microfit around the year 2003. I lived in the area and hand selected it then took the biggest rasp I had a rasped on it for two days to release the stock within. It sported a 26" barrel and would launch Hornady 225's into a little under 1.5" at 200 yds. The barrel made long field shots real easy. Somebody offered me what, at the time, seemed like an obscene amount for it so I sold it. Kinda wish I had it back.

That sure is a sweet rifle there. Stock looks great.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by MAC
I have an Argentine Mauser action gathering dust out in the barn. Just the action complete with bottom metal. Have been thinking about doing something with it and was wondering if the action could be used as a base for a rifle chambered in 30-06 since I have never owned a 30-06 and I need to rectify that. Base diameter for 7.65x53 is .473 and the base diameter for the 30-06 is .471. Would the .002 of an inch difference make any serious issues. 30-06 is also slightly longer so not sure if that will be an issue either? In addition to the action I also have a nicely figured slab of French walnut that had aged for over 25 years out in the same barn that would provide the stock.

Is this a project worth pursuing or am I asking for more trouble than it is worth?

Not sure if you have made your decision yet or not, but I'll give you my thoughts. I'm building a 'custom' Mauser for my son right now, I have a thread in the Custom Rifle area if you want to see it. So far I'm into his rifle for about $1000, that includes the action cost, Richards stock (twice on the stock actually I started over), new Walther Barrel, swivel mounts, recoil pad and a few other smaller parts. The cost also includes some of the supplies I've had to buy, stock finish, bedding, solder, replacement springs and some tools. The cost does not include the cost of tools I already had such as a drilling and tapping fixture, various sanders, grinders, drills and screw drivers. That cost also doesn't include labor. I'm doing this as a labor of love, I enjoy it and its a gift for my son. Also the tooling and most of the supplies I could amortize the cost since I'll be building another for another son after this. Yes I am a glutton for punishment.

What I'm trying to say is even if it is a labor of love, and you are doing all the work yourself, you can still have a nice rifle ready to shoot cheaper or at least as cheap.

But if you want to do the work or you just want it exactly the way you want it and would enjoy saying you built of had this built then go for it. Just know it takes time and the cost almost never is seen in the monetary value.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep. And truth be told that's always been the case with such projects, even 50-60 years ago when all those costs were cheaper and Mausers were a dime-a-dozen. I look back on those days and remember the "old guys" and my Dad going on about it and can't help but think that mainly they were exercising their artistic sensibilities. Life goes on.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
803 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.