Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Where would be the best place to go and outfitter to contact for a handgun safari? The plan now would be to carry a T/C Contender in .375 JDJ and an Eabco Bf pistol in 6.5 BRM. I want to hunt Cape Buffalo, Eland and Kudu. Bushbuck and Zebra if possible would be a bonus.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I don't think you have to go to a specific outfitter or PH for a handgun hunt, although maybe some PH's wouldn't be interested.

I'd say it makes sense to decide what country you want to hunt in and then look for the best outfitters in that country.

I've done two rifle hunts with Mokore Safaris, one in Zimbabwe and one in Mozambique and they are top notch. But there are many other good choices.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
All African countries have a minimal muzzle energy or caliber to hunt dangerous game. Be sure your handgun meets these minimal standards. The minimal standards may not apply to South Africa high fenced ranches, however.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I know Namibia is out and I think Mozambique is too

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Ronnie, you need to get a possible critter list together, and talk to the Safari outfitters to make sure your expectations are met, and your not hunting in an area where all shots are well over 200 yards. Be realistic about your distance requirements, with them. I’ve done Revolver only hunts, and although I am confident out to 150 yards under perfect conditions, you seldom have perfect conditions.
Having a couple must have animals, and being open to what you may run into, will get you into a much more affordable hunt, than going after one at a time off a list, paying full pop for each. Most affordable yet, a plains game hunt with 6 or 10 animals may get you a couple you have not thought of, but gets you lots of gun time on critters, and a very nice assortment of classic African game. On your next hunt go after Cape buffalo and more specialized critters. Mixing Big 7 and plains game, on one hunt usually costs you more, as 2 guides are needed for dangerous game.

“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTLE ONE FIRST”
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Go to SCI in Nashville next month and meet and talk to the guides from Africa.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you need a bigger bore than the .375 JDJ, tclubber is selling two big bore (.416" and .458") XP-100s in the classifieds right now.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I am making my goals more realistic and have decided on Eland, Kudu and possibly Nyala. I may try to make logistics easier and stick with the .375 JDJ for everything and if I can come up with one load that would be even better. I will need to get some ammo loaded up and start practicing off sticks. I have plenty of properly head stamped brass and need to decide on a one bullet workhorse and lay in a supply

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bearskinner
2 guides are needed for dangerous game.
That's not my experience. I have hunted buffalo a couple of times with only one PH. I think that's the normal situation.

It is true however, that if you hunt dangerous game the daily rate is much higher, so a plains game only hunt is much cheaper.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve never heard of needing 2 PH’s for dangerous game. I’ve hunted DG in 5 countries in southern and central Africa, although admittedly with a rifle.

Last edited by jdollar; 02/01/23.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I believe only RSA and maybe ZIM allow only revolver handguns to be temp imported for hunting or other purposes and may require special approval or permits to do so.

I know for certain, Namibia and Botswana do not allow civilian handgun temp imports.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pacecars
I am making my goals more realistic and have decided on Eland, Kudu and possibly Nyala. I may try to make logistics easier and stick with the .375 JDJ for everything and if I can come up with one load that would be even better. I will need to get some ammo loaded up and start practicing off sticks. I have plenty of properly head stamped brass and need to decide on a one bullet workhorse and lay in a supply

I think your handgun has more than enough power. J.D. Jones has taken some of the game you listed, with his 6.5 JDJ.

I hope you have a great time on your trip.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know an outfitter who used to hunt Lion by tracking over very sandy terrain. He required two PH’s on those RIFLE hunts.

For handgun or bow DG hunting is a very good idea.

Last edited by RinB; 02/10/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RinB
I know an outfitter who hunts Lion by tracking over very sandy terrain. He requires two PH’s on those RIFLE hunts.
Sounds like an exciting hunt! What country is that in?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Was in area of Botswana border with Northern Province RSA. Don’t know current status.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leaving Cape buffalo off of your list is smart. Hunting any dangerous game with a single shot pistol is, IMO a bad idea. Cape Buffalo in particular, can soak a lot lead and mount a charge after being mortally wounded. It took 8 well-placed 500 grain 458 Lott bullets at close quarters to take down a highly agitated bull I killed in Tanzania. Having extra shots was critical as the bull decided to take the fight to me.

Another bull I killed was calm when I fired my first shot at 20 yards. Nonetheless it took a second shot to put it on the ground. Both were well-placed shots. You just never know.

Another thing to consider even when hunting plains game is that a wounded animal costs a trophy fee whether you recover it or not. Getting a follow-up shot with a single shot is iffy.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
You may want to pick up a set of TRIpod sticks to practice with and take them with you. Nothing like having a tracker throw up a pair ( bipod) of flimsy bouncy sticks, that you don’t feel comfortable with. I use my own.

“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTLE ONE FIRST”
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
All good advice. I plan to get some sticks to practice with and they will go with me. I am going to stick with plains game for my first safari. If an opportunity comes up after for Cape Buffalo I would love to use my John Linebaugh built Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .500 Linebaugh to take one. It has enough oomph to get it done

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve never seen a pair of bipod sticks in 17 safaris in Africa….. Tripod practice is essential, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.