H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
I personally see no fundamentals whatsoever... to support enthusiasm.

Irrational exuberance?

Desperation... moreover... I would call it.

MANY MANY people/investors have ONLY a "Plan A"...

That "Plan A" is to do the one thing they have ALWAYS DONE... i.e. invest in "the market"

(Few actually understand "the market" in which they have placed a lifetime of faith/work/HOPE... (admittedly... nor do I understand "the market").)

And watch it go up... and down... and gyrate around based on past historical models that say "all is well"... and all will come back.

The lack of faith in fundamentals that I no longer have/trust is based on the magnitudes of the LIES in 2021/22 and the sheer hopelessness I see in people...

Albeit zombie workers/people with actual trust/honor in nothing... or simply a desperate Prayer that "Plan A" works out, because there is no "Plan B".

Again... Good luck to those that disagree with my opinion.

Mr. Market is a manic/depressive. The fundamental guys will know what I am referring to and will take advantage of it.

Quality, diversified items in the portfolio and take the long view .

GB2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Mr. Market is a manic/depressive. The fundamental guys will know what I am referring to and will take advantage of it.

Did I not wish you the best of luck in your pursuits?

What part of my post is in conflict with what you posted?

None Sir... I misread your comment.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Did I not wish you the best of luck in your pursuits?

What part of my post is in conflict with what you posted?

None Sir... I misread your comment.

No worries. All good.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Got cash in the brokerage account waiting for an opportunity.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Disclaimer: This is not directed at anybody in this thread or any other market thread.

There are generally two approaches to investing, Fundamental or Technical. Some people mix in a little of both, but let me explain the major differences. Technical is more or less chart reading and patterns. The technical approach is data mining to find a repeating pattern that they feel can forecast the future with some form of accuracy. I am not a big fan of it, but it does have its place.

Fundamental, or qualitative, investing is the analysis of the actual company, commodity, bond, real estate, precious metal, crypto currency, etc.... I favor this one because it makes a bit more sense to me and is exactly what Warren Buffett follows for example. He follows the Benjamin Graham/David Dodd school of investing. They did an extensive study which had an advantage over time (Technical vs Fundamental) and gave the edge to the Fundamental style. True or not it is far easier for me to sink my teeth into and it is far more simple in my opinion.

Basically, you take every investment that interests you and you feel has a legitimate spot in your portfolio which could consist of certain stocks, bonds, real estate, precious metals, commodities, crypto.....whatever you feel you understand. This is now your universe of investments. Take each one of those investments and study it until you can assess a fair value to said investment. Then you let Mr. Market do its thing in its own manic/depressive way. Graham and Dodd labeled it Mr. Market and called it a manic/depressive.

Don't make it harder than it has to be. No reason to fight the market for your particular investment. Let it do all the work. What I mean by that is once you have established a fair value for your investment then wait until the market discounts your investment (depressive) to a point that you are comfortable in purchasing it. The discount to fair value is called "margin of safety." The greater the margin of safety the less important your fair value calculation needs to be.

Now you allow the market to do its thing again. Once the market gets manic on your investment then you reduce or outright sell as it nears or surpasses your calculated fair value. You do need to constantly re-evaluate the fair value because things will affect it like dividend increases or reductions on a stock.

There is a bit more advanced way of portfolio construction with value investing and it can be quite effective independent of tax issues and transaction costs. It is called playing the margin of safety game. You take two similar investments which you have assessed the fair value. It can be real estate, precious metals, or even two similar stocks like Chevron Texaco and Exxon Mobil.

Say you own Exxon Mobil which you bought at a discount to fair value of 50%. XOM has increased in value, but it is still 10% below your calculated fair value. It is sometimes difficult to close that gap like losing the last 10 lbs of fat. Then you look at your Chevron Texaco research and discover that it is trading at 25% discount to your fair value calculation. The process would be to exchange part or all of the XOM position for CVX. Again as long as tax and trading costs are not too impactful. Chasing the greatest discount to fair value is a possible way to reduce risk in a portfolio and give the position more room to move towards fair value.

There is no reason to fight or try to guess what the market is going to do. It will rise dramatically, fall precipitously, and level off for an extended period of time....but not necessarily in that order. YMMV

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
^^^

Excellent info.

It’s gotta be quite a challenge in the investment business for one to stay current each year with the changes enacted and those proposed for the future so that personal planning can be effective for clients.

Someone described it as being a perpetual puzzle wrapped in a conundrum, shoved inside of an enigma.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Saw an interesting stat this morning on Yahoo Finance.

No SP500 bear market has ever reclaimed 50% of its losses and gone on to make new lows.

The magic number for that is a close above 4232. Its about 4242 now as I type at 11 am.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Still a long way to go, but according to two different sources this morning traders are rushing to cover shorts and get back in the market. Continue to be very happy that I didn’t capitulate back in June.
Just wondering what the Campfire market gurus think?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Cashed out mid winter, jumped back in about 2 months ago.
Every item is up between 10-40% from buy back price

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I jumped in on meme stock BBBY last week. Just hit my sell order

Fed dumping the billion sin the market will prop up for awhile longer

Last edited by ribka; 08/16/22.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Almost 6 months down the road, how are others feeling about the markets?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think the market will slowly recover from covid over the next 4 years.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cramer called the bull market on Tuesday.

The Fed speech seemed to open the barn doors yesterday.

Let’s hope she rolls!

Attached Images
890D78F7-D88C-422D-A236-5F48E75A9E07.gif (69.63 KB, 235 downloads)
Last edited by Angus1895; 02/02/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Too old to “jump ship” now….I’ll ride it out and hope that I don’t go down with the ship. Still down about 100K …..slowly recovering! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
It’s been going the right direction for the last week or so.

Timing the market is a fool’s errand. Pick your poison and buy a set amount monthly.

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/02/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Timing the market is a fool’s errand. Pick your poison and buy a set amount monthly.

I have a conservative friend with a day trading licence that made $2M in oil futures in 2008 and then lost $1M in 2009.

Per my investment system and personal disposition, that is insanity.

I stayed fully invested through the 1987 stock crash.. and a year later it was like it never happened.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The FED’s Powell said today that he’s encouraged by what he is seeing with inflation at this point in time but he does not presently see the possibility of rate cuts in 2023.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I have a conservative friend with a day trading licence that made $2M in oil futures in 2008 and then lost $1M in 2009.

Per my investment system and personal disposition, that is insanity.

I stayed fully invested through the 1987 stock crash.. and a year later it was like it never happened.
I’ve been plowing money into a NASDAQ index fund through this whole fiasco. I’ll continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could say the same about the 2008-09 crash, we came back strong........it's just the imbecile in the White House that worries me.....

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I picked up coin, hut, hive, bitf, mara last month after fTX debacle

finally recovering nicely have stop orders set up

Ive been looking at BOIL, Might pick up if below 6 bucks. Very speculative

Have done ok on KOLD, sell order hit yesterday

If oil comes close to 70 a barrel might add

looking for profit takers next week to cash in and market will drop imho

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 78 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.