Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I recently purchased a Model 70 Featherweight XTR chambered in 30-06.

The serial number is G2180XXX

On the left side of the barrel is stamped " Model 70 XTR Featherweight -30-06 Sprg-"

There is not a cursive "Featherweight" on the right side of the barrel as I have seen on older pushfeeds.

This rifle is a push feed, not CRF or CRPF

I was under the impression that serial numbers for push feed ended in 1992 with SN# 2037985, then Classics started. I also thought XTR was dropped in 1989.

Any insight on this?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It appears your impression wuz wrong... laugh

In any case, I have no idea re: your question..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fordisto
I recently purchased a Model 70 Featherweight XTR chambered in 30-06.

The serial number is G2180XXX

On the left side of the barrel is stamped " Model 70 XTR Featherweight -30-06 Sprg-"

There is not a cursive "Featherweight" on the right side of the barrel as I have seen on older pushfeeds.

This rifle is a push feed, not CRF or CRPF

I was under the impression that serial numbers for push feed ended in 1992 with SN# 2037985, then Classics started. I also thought XTR was dropped in 1989.

Any insight on this?

Most featherweights don't have the cursive writing. Your assumption appears to be correct about the serial # 2037985 being the last one according to Winchester. That was in 1992. How correct that is, who knows? Their records keeping was never that great. Your rifle may have been one of the last ones made in '93. Again, who really knows?????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
“ I was under the impression that serial numbers for push feed ended in 1992 with SN# 2037985, then Classics started”

Nope, they continued on after that SN for the push feeds that were produced, just no records.

It is strange about the XTR lettering on the barrel. Any chance it was re-barreled?

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Definitely a possibility of rebarrel, I guess.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
“ I was under the impression that serial numbers for push feed ended in 1992 with SN# 2037985, then Classics started”

Nope, they continued on after that SN for the push feeds that were produced, just no records.

It is strange about the XTR lettering on the barrel. Any chance it was re-barreled?

That is a stainless pushfeed. Those were made from '92-94 I believe. Not for very long from what I can remember. It should not say "XTR" anywhere on it.. Any pics of the barrel and markings?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Correct; showing OP the PF post G203.

No xtr and scroll “featherweight” on right.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Correct; showing OP the PF post G203.

No xtr and scroll “featherweight” on right.

That rifle appears to have been made in the timespan of when they were scrolling "featherweight" on the barrel. 1990-1994, if I remember right. You may have to correct me on that one. If yours is a stainless pushfeed featherweight, that is a pretty rare rifle, as they didn't make many of them. I damned near bought the 338 here a while back. Both scope and rifle were well worth the asking price.. I could have sold the silver Leupold that was on it for $400+ and been into the rifle for a measly $400.00, but like I said the other day, wanted to let one of you guys score on that one. I get great deals all the time. Some, I don't even tell you about because you guys think I'm bragging or something..

Do you remember the time span of when they scrolled "featherweight" in cursive writing, on the barrel? I'm thinking early to mid 90's, roughly cutting them off around '94. The OP's is a post XTR, so XTR would probably not be stamped on the barrel.. IF it is stamped "XTR", I'd presume it was a rebarrel.. We've talked about all this before, but my memory may not be exact on some of this stuff.. 79s usually knows his Winchester model 70 history. Where is he hiding??

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t have an exact date on when the scroll “featherweight” started but ‘89 or ‘90 seems about right. It continued through the early classics and I’ve seen as high as G27xxx with “featherweight” in scroll.

The one above is indeed a featherweight.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh Johnny boy, are you over at sticks house playing hide the salami???

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have nothing to add Akwolverine pretty much covered it all. Also geography lesson from wasilla to Craig is 740 miles if their was a road between the two.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's also wearing a Winchester Repeating Arms recoil pad. Wish I had looked this one over a little harder before bringing it home. Hopefully it will at least shoot decently..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by fordisto
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's also wearing a Winchester Repeating Arms recoil pad. Wish I had looked this one over a little harder before bringing it home. Hopefully it will at least shoot decently..
Do you have pictures? That curiosity thing …

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Stock was definitely changed out. You see these featherweight stocks on ebay frequently. The WRA ones, not so much, but original FWT stocks are on there all the time. A tell tell sign is also how the receiver fits in the stock near the barrel. It looks like it was slightly opened up at the front of the receiver. If it were mine, I'd glass bed it properly to make that union tight there. It was rebarreled. It should not be stamped "XTR", as that was dropped in '89. Your rifle was definitely produced around '94, based on serial #. Some of the pics are not super clear, but the stamping "featherweight" looks weird and the front of the receiver looks like it may have been heated up. Maybe to remove the barrel??? That may just be a poor picture though or shadow?? If this is a new to you rifle, I'd check the headspace. It's probably fine, but always a good idea to check when you aren't sure and when the barrel has been changed out. You never know who did the work. The rifle looks nice, but has been "pieced" together IMHO. Personally, when buying something like this, those are all points that need to be brought up, as they are bargaining chips, as I see it.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Could also be an employee gun; worker found some old stuff (barrel and stock) stashed in the basement in New Haven and screwed it onto an action coming off the line.
Not sure how often it happened, but it happened. I have at least one that I know for certain came to be this way; some employee laughing to himself, “this will really F with some collector some day!” laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Could also be an employee gun; worker found some old stuff (barrel and stock) stashed in the basement in New Haven and screwed it onto an action coming off the line.
Not sure how often it happened, but it happened. I have at least one that I know for certain came to be this way; some employee laughing to himself, “this will really F with some collector some day!” laugh

Yeah, too bad it didn't have a Browning trigger on it. With that being said, it looks like a sweet rifle. I wonder if fordisto regrets asking the question?

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hard to say BSA. It looks to be a very nice rifle to me. If an employee made it for himself, it may have been assembled with extra care. Be interesting to know if it has the standard hot glue bedding, etc. We also don’t know what he paid for it. Even with the unknowns, I would have likely given at least $700 for that rifle in that condition. The stock alone is worth $300+ on fleabay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 69 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.