Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It is tougher to find five guys to go with you than to do that hunt. A tough goat hunt is one that you survive. I took a 70ft fall/slide down an avalanche chute about 10 years ago and hit a tree head first. I lost two inches and had severe back pain when I woke up the next day bloody. I crawled the three miles down the mountain and made it back to base camp. You just have to be completely careful as you can be hunting goats.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MrMuskie
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

Drawing the tag is the hard part. Ditto Goats.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don’t doubt the hunt was that easy….some sheep hunts are but are the chinks just for show then?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

I don’t doubt the hunt was that easy….some sheep hunts are but are the chinks just for show then?

And horses in the background for another photo op. At least they got the trailer out of view.
[Linked Image from trophymountainoutfitters.com]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hell ya...that is awesome. Good for them.
I wish I could find one person willing to do that kind of thing, let alone 5-6 and with enough time off to do a hunt like that.
I had to rappel to one goat a friend of mine shot in Idaho, sans snow. It was sketchy. I couldn't have imagined doing that in 5 feet of snow. They can live in some absolutely ridiculous country.

Tell me when and give me notice and hopefully the tag Tetris aligns but the tag is the hard part!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would think a successful MT unlimited bighorn ram hunt would be pretty difficult.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
"And horses in the background for another photo op. At least they got the trailer out of view."

Yawn. Idiot is unaware you don't toss a sheep up on your back and carry off a hill, into a canyon and then up the other side.

Was only 75 then.

BTW last time I was at Mt Rushmore, the Goats were no tame a spear would have worked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, you're a badass Larry.

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 02/06/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought that looked and ‘sounded’ like ‘ol Root!

I have zero clue what he was babbling about with that response to you Whttail. It in no way had any resemblance or bearing of addressing your statement.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I would think a successful MT unlimited bighorn ram hunt would be pretty difficult.

Definitely! But lacks the crawling through 3'+ of snow and ropes (well actually in some places you just might ropes :D)

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mtwarden

Definitely! But lacks the crawling through 3'+ of snow and ropes (well actually in some places you just might ropes :D)

I've heard tale of some quotas staying open into late Oct/early Nov. I would think things could get real dicey real quick that time of year. Just a hunch tho.

Some day, I'll give it a go.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

Then who the hell is this in the picture?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They earned that one.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
"Then who the hell is this in the picture?"

Root in his disguise.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Cool video, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I wish I could find one person willing to do that kind of thing, let alone 5-6 and with enough time off to do a hunt like that.

I’m in.

Let's go

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mtwarden

I've heard tale of some quotas staying open into late Oct/early Nov. I would think things could get real dicey real quick that time of year. Just a hunch tho.

Some day, I'll give it a go.

Let's go

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
With goats you have guys waiting until the weather turns to hell before they go because they want that prime hide. I had freezing rain and ice covered rocks on my goat hunt and was lucky to slow down enough to not hurt myself. The goofy basturds live in some nasty country and they seem to love bad weather. Not a great combination.

Tinner, I am reasonably adept with rope and rock climbing. Give me a shout if you ever need additional tards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

Then who the hell is this in the picture?

Roundoak?

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mtwarden;
Morning to you sir, I hope the week has been at least tolerable for you and you're well.

Thanks for the video, it's a pretty honest representation of the conditions as far as I can tell.

There's a website where more of this content exists if anyone is interested by the way.

https://beyondthekill.net/

They're also connected with the Journal of Mountain Hunting which has a magazine they publish as well. One of the authors lives an hour north of us in Kelowna, BC if I'm not wrong, but to be clear I don't know any of these young men.

Our only mountain goat hunt was in the fall of '87 in the Stikine River country in north western BC just off the Alaska panhandle.

While we've got goats within a half hour drive in a couple directions here, for that matter used to have a small herd up on the mountain behind the house, we or better said I wasn't truly prepared for the steep and wet conditions on the coastal mountains.

We saw lots of goats including one big billy who was laying on a gravel bar on the other side of the glacial fed Mess Creek but couldn't figure out how we'd get down to him, much less cross the creek and survive. My buddy and I still laugh about the crazy spots we watched the goats casually walk along and even bed down on.

In the end, we came away with the impression that any mountain goat hunt we survived was a successful one.

While I was able to chase sheep this past fall with the same buddy who drew crazy high odds LEH tag behind the house, my goat hunting days are done now and I'm good with that - knowing one's limitations and all that... grin

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dwayne- I've checked out a few of their videos and have looked at a few articles they've done (they were posted on the internet) seems like those guys have their $hit together laugh

I'm getting a little long in the tooth, so hoping I can draw my goat tag sooner than later!

Mike

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.