Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
grayfox Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
African trophy exports,,, anyone use this company for shipment of trophies back to the United States. What's your impression, how did you pay them? Wire money or credit card

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No.

My taxidermist did the export/import in 2014. His sister quit and she did that part of the business.

In 2019 I used AHG Trophy Shipping. They exported and shipped. I did the import myself.

Last edited by AB2506; 02/01/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What i have found.

Everyone has their hands out.

Have you talked to your taxidermist to see if they have someone that they use to combine customers shipments for the best price.

I know my taxidermist have places to take your raw trophies to for the dip and pack plus the shipping. It helps to reduce the costs. There are different importers and ask your taxidermist who they recommend.

Shipping is expensive, and mot want kick backs to get your business.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
No.

In 2019 I used AHG Trophy Shipping. They exported and shipped. I did the import myself.

AHG is a division of African Hunting Gazette. The owner, Richard Lendrum, operates the business on the basis of searching out the best deal for shipping from the taxidermist to my city, Calgary Alberta. I do the importing myself.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As a generalization, the taxidermist your items are taken to for processing, either just dip/pack & ship or whatever level of work you want done there, have shippers they commonly use to get your items to the US port of entry. Unless you know are aware of and want to use a specific Africa to US shipping agent, it's likely just a good idea to use the agents the taxidermist is familiar with.

There are several US based receiving companies that will clear your items thru US Customs and USF&W and then hire/coordinate the US based shipping/freight forwarding company from the port of entry to your location. Two of these are Coppersmith Global Logistics and Flora & Fauna and the Wildlife Gallery if you have your final taxidermy work done with them.

Yes, it does seem as Bawana338 said, it is is pretty common that the majority of ALL business that I've had experiences with in RSA, Namibia and Botswana provide some level of extra payments back to the referring business. Seems 10% or less is the normal amount.

On the flip side of that, is it really that much different than US companies/businesses that offer referral/finders fees or promos of referring a friend and get a discount on your bill etc. Not trying or intending to support/justify any of it. It is just what it is.

IC B2

C
C
My dip and pack services were provided by my safari operator (Royal Safaris, Ltd. in Arusha, TZ). I used Safari Specialties Importers to ship and clear my trophies through customs and ship to my taxidermist. Pretty simple, but a bit pricier than anticipated - though I had a lot of animals to transport.

Last edited by Chukarman; 02/13/23.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Bottom line is everyone has their hand out and wants a pound of flesh. It will cost about half the actual safari costs to get trophies back- and that’s before you pay the taxidermist. By the time you pay everyone, you will greatly exceed the cost of the hunt. Learned that lesson long ago and quit bringing things home. …

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by jdollar
Bottom line is everyone has their hand out and wants a pound of flesh. It will cost about half the actual safari costs to get trophies back- and that’s before you pay the taxidermist. By the time you pay everyone, you will greatly exceed the cost of the hunt. Learned that lesson long ago and quit bringing things home. …
When you go hunt there now, are you still hunting/paying trophy animals or just doing cull hunts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I do the same. Lots of photos. Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No.

AHG is a division of African Hunting Gazette. The owner, Richard Lendrum, operates the business on the basis of searching out the best deal for shipping from the taxidermist to my city, Calgary Alberta. I do the importing myself.

Very disappointing to learn from my outfitter that AHG Trophy Shipping now wants the hunter to only their taxidermist.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No.

Very disappointing to learn from my outfitter that AHG Trophy Shipping now wants the hunter to only use the AHG taxidermist.

Last edited by AB2506; 02/14/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No more for heads anymore

I invested in a decent DSLR for my last trip

Last edited by chas05; 02/14/23.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
When you go hunt there now, are you still hunting/paying trophy animals or just doing cull hunts?

I still trophy hunt but I tell the PH that I just want representative animals, not necessarily the biggest around. He can save those for people after the biggest they can find. Works out just fine.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve emailed them twice in the last 3 weeks with questions about an upcoming trip. Not a peep! Getting agitated! Messaged Badger Cargo and had return emails within the hour.

Roy

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
After my first 4 safaris to Namibia, I had pretty much exhausted the wall space for trophies at our home. On my last two Namibian hunts, I had my PH take lots of trophy pictures with my IPHONE. I then emailed the photos to the Costco photo labs, where they produce professional quality 14”X 10” enlargements encased in acrylic with a mounting bracket on the back. Cost per print is about $40 each and the wait time is 10-14 days.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Absolutely the best way to go. I filled up my wall/floor space after the first 5-6 safaris. After that filled the smaller wall space with metallic prints. Saved more than enough for another 5+ safaris…..

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The only remaining mount I'm willing to splurge for is a truly impressive Sable. Everything else these days are photos.

My brother thinks I'm nuts, but then he's never dealt with getting horns back from across the pond.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Money AND TIME! Will not even try to add up what I paid and to how many sets of HANDS to get my TWO trophy back to my taxidermist. It will be about two years from hunt date and arrival at my house for an eland and a zebra - yes a failed leopard hunt. Oh and the 300.00 dollar zebra pillows. Trophy mordida has become a total joke.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I just got 6 trophies back from Namibia about a month ago. We use Pronto global air freight, and D&L out of Chicago I think. We paid by wire transfer and CC. And just for your knowledge, it cost $3300 to get my stuff to Chicago and $1100 from there, through customs and waiting storage to a loading dock close to my house. I had shoulder mount of kudu, oryx, blue wildebeast, impala and springbok and a skull mount of a warthog shipped back in a crate about 4'×6'×3'. Hope that helps. Glad you were able to get over there!

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I used Coppersmiths both times and everything was smooth.

MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,210
Posts18,466,168
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.