Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got some bad news the other day when I took little Charlie in for her annual checkup. Heartworm positive bloodwork. They are really bad in our area, and while I've had her on the 6-month shots since I got her from the pound in late 2021, she apparently had already contracted them when I adopted her. It takes 6-7 months for them to mature and the bloodwork requires mature female worms to be present for a positive test. So here we are.

My local vet uses what they call the "slow kill method" with Doxy and monthly worm tabs, while another local clinic uses the more intensive two-shot method with several months of immobilization needed, as the dying worms can cause blood clots if the dog is boisterous. I'm likely going to get a second test performed, just to be sure. Looking for advice here, as this pup is young, probably just over 2 years old, and is extremely active, strong, and athletic. She could likely jump up into my pickup window if I told her to. It would be hard to keep her still for 60 days, so I'm concerned about the dangers of throwing a clot. Also concerned about the damage to her organs if we go the Slow route...... frown

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
BP-B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hello,
I am a vet and would highly warn against the slow-kill route. See attached link from the Heartworm Society. For an active dog, it is definitely not best. There is actually an increased risk of thrombus with slow kill because worms are dying over an extended period of time. Obviously I have never met or performed an exam on your dog so I do not know all the details, but generally would advise against slow-kill.

https://www.heartwormsociety.org/ve...ks-out/507-the-ahs-protocol-vs-slow-kill

Last edited by Shifty98; 02/03/23.
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I very much appreciate the link. I'm at least scheduling another test with the second clinic (the clinic that uses the multi-shot method). I'm leaning toward handling this the "right way" even if it is difficult for the short run.

Always good to talk with people who have been there or have first-hand information.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am not a vet but have dealt with heartworm treatment several times. I have had hunting dogs near 50 years. One dog had the old arsenic treatment which required total rest and limited movement. Infestation was several years along and dog never really was the same.

My last experience was with a 5 year old German Shorthair I acquired in 2015. He was never on preventive and had heartworms. I basically did what I had done at least 2 other times. I started him on monthly Ivermectin and let nature take it's course.

I know Vets are against this, but it basically kills the larvae and prevents other worms from developing. Adult worms are said to live somewhere between 2 to 5 years last I read. So over time the dog can be heartworm free. Max died at the age of 11 in 2021 from cancer and hunted and ran well up till near the end.

I believe it depends how long and how severe the infestation is that dictates success. If the damage is done. No treatment is gonna reverse that. Your dog seems young and hasn't probably had adult worms long. You may have options. My statements are just my personal experiences.

In the end, learn all you can about the treatments, listen to a vet you trust and do the best you can. Good luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.