Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If I’m on the ball, put it in the sink the night before, put in the fridge in the morning and cook when I get home. Usually a few hours after I get home so I will put back in sink to bring up closer to room temp. Some of the best has been wet aged for several days in the fridge before use, like 3-5 days before cooking.

Shoot straight, shoot often
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Just that & curious.

Pints

I like to take mine out of the freezer to thaw it.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
refrigerator if you have the time to wait, out on the counter 2nd, and microwave 3rd

2 Kings 2:23-24
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BubbaG
refrigerator if you have the time to wait, out on the counter 2nd, and microwave 3rd

^ this works for me too ^

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Pretty sure a bunch of you should be dead.

FDA says so.

I'm working on it....

As a matter of fact, I promise it

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I just thaw it then cook it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fridge, sometimes counter top for a couple hours then fridge.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m a fridge guy mostly but have used the water bath if I’m running late. Heck I leave it in the sink too. I’m conscious of the 40f/4hr rule for food safety so I err on the side of caution there and use the fridge if the meat isn’t rock solid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
27 replies and not a single use of dethaw. Impressed!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn

FDA says so.

I'm working on it....

As a matter of fact, I promise it

Don't hurry.
It's the journey.......😉

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
In fridge or under a towel/cloth in the sink. Fridge preferred though.

Same here.

I have put it in warm water in the sink to thaw it faster and my caveman palate couldn't tell much if any difference.

I've put a bunch in the sous vide tank as well. I tend to like that method the best myself.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/24/23.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
What works best for me: every time I cook some venison I take another package out of the freezer to put in the refrigerator meat drawer...every time. That way I don't have to worry about it. It will be thawed by the next day, but I'll probably be eating on the last batch anyway (just the wife and I are at home most of the time.) This way, I always have some thawed venison ready to fix. It might be one day, or two or three days, but as soon as I fix it, I replace it with another frozen package from the freezer. I've almost always got ground venison thawed anyway, because it's my default lunch when I'm home at lunch time. I almost always have a package of chicken thawing or thawed in the meat drawer because my wife likes a break from the red meat. Cook up some chicken, put another package from the freezer to the refrigerator meat drawer. Not really planning ahead so much as always having something to fix without having to thaw it out in a hurry. Makes the whole meal preparation thing much easier going and stress free. There's no good way to thaw meat in a hurry and no need to worry about keeping thawed meat in the refrigerator for a few days or a week.

Mathew 22: 37-39

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

FDA says so.

Absodamnedlutely. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
27 replies and not a single use of dethaw. Impressed!

Makes the meat taste funny. BTDT. The Dachshund doesn't mind tho. (via wife- hec an damned well eat his kibbles - or not- for me!)

Ok- I sometimes lie like a lawyer.... I save doggie food when butchering - and might cheat a little otherwise, sometimes...

Last edited by las; 01/24/23.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by beretzs
I have put it in warm water in the sink to thaw it faster and my caveman palate couldn't tell much if any difference.

I do this nearly every time... if there is something wrong with it, I'm not sure what it would be.

Incidentally, a buddy was packaging moose burger and he smashed each vacuum sealed package flat between two boards before freezing. Gives it more surface area for the given volume, so it thaws out much faster in water, and it stacks nicely in the freezer.

C
CBB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I’m in several crowds..

Usually it’s thrown in the sink before work. Cook it after work.

If I plan right thaw it out most of the way in the sink then toss it in the fridge to finish it off…

If I don’t plan ahead. In the sink with water works to get burgers on the grill in a hurry

Hunt...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Crank up the Green Egg with some oak lump charcoal and some pieces of mesquite. Hold the temperature to 225 degrees or less. Throw the frozen meat on for 30-45 minutes until it thaws in the smoke. Pull the meat, crank the vents open to get it to 500-600 degrees, season the meat and sear each side for a little while. Done.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by beretzs

I do this nearly every time... if there is something wrong with it, I'm not sure what it would be.

Incidentally, a buddy was packaging moose burger and he smashed each vacuum sealed package flat between two boards before freezing. Gives it more surface area for the given volume, so it thaws out much faster in water, and it stacks nicely in the freezer.

I flatten them- never thought of the board trick tho.

thanks!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I also flatten my ground meat packages. Just with my hands though, not with boards.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Fridge is preferred. However, I have thawed several times in the sink with no issues.

Here lately, I have been cooking roasts in the Instant Pot that come straight out of the freezer. No thawing. I have found several recipes for this, and they work just fine.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
375 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 36 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,898
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.