Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a nice G33/40 that was sporterized 30+ years ago in 6mm Rem. I don’t believe the stock or barrel are anything special. Has a nice Jard trigger. I am trying to decide what to do with it. If I were to keep it, I would like to put it in a new stock and re-barrel it for a bigger bore, maybe 7x57, 30-06, 9.3x62 etc.

Does anyone make nice pre-inletted walnut stocks for these? I don’t mind finishing the stock and installing a new barrel myself, but am looking for a classic hunting stock similar to the Griffin & Howe styles.

The other option would be to send it to a gunsmith and have them do the whole thing. This is likely more than I want to spend, but I’m open to suggestions.

Third option would be to sell it. What is a something like this worth these days?

Last edited by 250_3000; 01/29/23.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”
-Benjamin Franklin

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I sure like the G 33/40’s. Have one, a 30-06

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Check with Richard's Micro Fit for a stock.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Option "3: or "C" or whatever postulating "Sell it!" There are some pretty durn nice rifles for what you'd have invested in the rifle as the sum of it's present value and cost of components and especially if you will pay pro conversion services! At the end of the "custom rifle" trail, you'll have the heart of a G33/40 which most folks like me will gaze and lament another Bubba of a nice milsurp. I'd be looking at a Winchester 70 Classic CRF series from the nineties era or a more plain jane pre '64 Model 70. Even if it cost a bit more, a much better investment.

You're due some 'points' for not coming here proposing to "restore it"... For sure. But even rebuild into an equivalent nice factory sporter you're most likely to have more into it and far less valuable. A "relic G333/40" is simply a relic with overtones of what it once was.

Good luck & just my take!
Best!
John

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As one of the occasional "restorers" of old rifles, my 2 cents: or he could hang onto an action that he likes (because it's cool), turn it into something he finds useful, and not worry about how random collectors might lament its previous value or the investment factor...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would love a nice Mauser 6mm Rem if it is a shooter.
What is the twist rate on your current 6mm barrel? And its condition? How does it shoot?
Got any pics of the rifle to share?

Thanks,
Rex

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Rex, PM sent.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
G33/40 Mausers are considered some of the best, always sought after they make up into wonderful sporters.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Prep work for a super nice .270 Win build.

Last edited by z1r; 02/03/23.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Every time I see a Mauser that has been ground on I get a little sick. There were fewer of the G33/40s than the other 98 versions. So that’s one less G33/40 that hasn’t had a grinder put to it for a scope of all things. A good peep site is just as good

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
To each his own. Some of the custom Mausers I’ve seen were not only works of art, but more accurate and more functional in the field. Mass produced battle rifles have their place but I’d rather see the ingenious design of that receiver sitting in some beautiful walnut, with a match quality barrel capable of 1/2 MOA and a top quality trigger and scope to round it out.

What would Elmer Kieth do? I can’t picture him hunting with a mil-surp rifle. I think he’d turn it into a beautiful custom rifle and ring all the accuracy and field balance he could get out of it.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”
-Benjamin Franklin
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
You don’t have to grind the receiver to make an accurate custom rifle. Griffey and Howe Rigby and alot of other people used to customize mausers without completely defacing them. My point is there’s already several hundred thousand ground down receivers, turned bolts drilled and taped etc. why disfigure another? It’s the same thing with the Model 70 or 54. There should be more than enough chopped stocks with recoil pads for the recoil sensitive yet probably once a week someone completely ruins a pre64 stock to make another chop job.

All the grinding bolt changing etc. to basically make a cheap savage or jap made Winchester look alike lol. Yes 60 years ago it was cheaper to chop a Mauser than buy a new rifle, labor was cheap and so was the parts them days is over. Spend $3000 to deface a Mauser to look like a $500 store bought rifle?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The G33/40 that I started this thread to discuss was sporterized before I bought it decades ago, so nothing I can do about that. This topic was started to ask people if they could recommend a good gunsmith or an alternate plan for my G33/40. I can’t go back in time and return it to WW2 configuration.

-Benjamin Franklin
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
There’s a difference in a Mauser sporter and a ground up mauser. Rigby took the Mauser actions and made fine sporters without grinding them down to a savage receiver. You said it had been sporterized 30+ years ago that doesn’t necessarily mean it had a grinder to it. The pic the other guy showed is a sure nuff new savage from Academy lol with a plastic stock and Tasco 3x9 x40 I’m betting. If your G33/40 has been turned into a savage remake nothing you can do about that and I’m disinterested in the whole subject at that point. You hadn’t made it clear what level of sporterization you was talking bout. So you either have a really nice hard to come by action or a piece of crap?

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bay1975
Every time I see a Mauser that has been ground on I get a little sick. There were fewer of the G33/40s than the other 98 versions. So that’s one less G33/40 that hasn’t had a grinder put to it for a scope of all things. A good peep site is just as good

Every time I read a post where someone gets sick because they've seen a desecrated milsurp, I throw up a little. sick

Most that get altered are far from original whether ground on or not. Note, that action was previously D&T'd for a receiver sight, which you advocate. Is not drilling and tapping defacing? What pains me is seeing any good action butchered by some ham fisted sod who thinks they can improve what they have in hand.

But what sickens me most are self righteous asses that think just cuz they're satisfied with one model, everyone should be. Worse though, is when they make a pronouncement about the end product when they haven't a fuggin clue. Get a life.

Last edited by z1r; 02/12/23.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Lol. Enjoy your savage academy sells a bunch of em

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lol. Pound sand.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by z1r

Every time I read a post where someone gets sick because they've seen a desecrated milsurp, I throw up a little. sick

Most that get altered are far from original whether ground on or not. Note, that action was previously D&T'd for a receiver sight, which you advocate. Is not drilling and tapping defacing? What pains me is seeing any good action butchered by some ham fisted sod who thinks they can improve what they have in hand.

But what sickens me most are self righteous asses that think just cuz they're satisfied with one model, everyone should be. Worse though, is when they make a pronouncement about the end product when they haven't a fuggin clue. Get a life.

Well put.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by z1r

Well put.
Absolutely! Two thumbs up.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
You clods are missing the point.

Grind down the receiver, cut off the bolt handle, get new bottom metal, change the barrel, get a plastic or big chunky after market stock drill it for your tasco 3x9. What is the point of calling it a Mauser lol. You just spent $3000 dollars to build a $450 academy special. Let me guess you did all the work yourself, well now you have a $175 dollar pawn shop special lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
242 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.