Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We know that production of God’s own hunting rifle was discontinued because of substantial production backlogs due to large DOD contracts. In a recent interview regarding the sale of Barrett to Australian company NIOA, founder Ronnie Barrett passively reveals that this sale began with sale of the Fieldcraft line to NIOA, who is tooling up to bring the Fieldcraft back to the market.

Watch the first 2 minutes:

"Pessimism never won any battle." - Dwight Eisenhower
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about you but I am excited about the opportunity to buy a gun manufactured by a company based in an anti-gun country. Mine will be topped with a Chinese scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm waiting for the Fieldcraft in 6.5x55 SE to go back on sale.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I don't know about you but I am excited about the opportunity to buy a gun manufactured by a company based in an anti-gun country. Mine will be topped with a Chinese scope.

If a nation is its government, then the US also an anti-gun country… so your US-produced guns were made in an anti-gun country.

Last edited by SlimBlundt; 02/03/23.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Interesting.

I guess I’ll believe it when I see it.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
They very well could. It’ll be higher msrp or a cheaper stock though.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I never saw a Fieldcraft in person. I read that the barreled action was top shelf for sure but many liked the stocks on the Kimber Montanas better?

If someone asked you for a 5 star stock suggestion what would it be? I could see buying one more rifle for the rest of my days if it checked all the light weight easy to shoot well and crazy accurate boxes.

Maybe 2 of them if a slow twist .223 was an option. The first one would be 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't care what any of the Creedmoor is a poor reflection on a persons "manliness level" people say. I own one and have loaded for another. The ease of getting bragging sized groups is a big plus and I'm not planning to hunt anything larger than deer and maybe a black bear.

Please don't feed the trolls!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had a Fieldcraft in 270, should have never sold it...

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did they come in both short action and long action?

Please don't feed the trolls!
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hopefully they’ll offer it in left hand like Barrett originally announced.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Yes

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looks like the Fieldcraft might actually go back into production based on what the new CEO said, appears to be a big fan of the .243 Fieldcraft.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...interview-with-new-barrett-ceo-rob-nioa/

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Oh man, the grass is greener, sky more blue, life has meaning now!

For all the boomers that bought a half dozen to look at and never use, now might be the time to find some idiot that will pay 3.5k for yours.....prices could fall if they get put back into production.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

For all the boomers that bought a half dozen to look at and never use, now might be the time to find some idiot that will pay 3.5k for yours.....prices could fall if they get put back into production.

I saw more Manbunners and tight ass Capri pants boys like yourself with them, all in 6.5 Creed man!

Last edited by AZmark; 02/08/23.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AZmark

I saw more Manbunners and tight ass Capri pants boys like yourself with them, all in 6.5 Creed man!

I guess the boomer comment cut deep. It was a joke, lighten up.

P.s. how many did you put away to look at?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

Yes, along with a 3" mag box and proper twist rates for the current crop of projectiles.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That was quick! I guess the manbunn and capri pants must have hit home....It was a joke!
I got one in 308....traded work for it.....Put a 24" 7mm08 Lilja stainless #2 barrel on it, killed a couple Mulies with it....It's so-so, still like my Rem722 in 7mm08 better though.

Last edited by AZmark; 02/08/23.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

That was quick! I guess the manbunn and capri pants must have hit home....It was a joke!
I got one in 308....traded work for it.....Put a 24" 7mm08 Lilja stainless #2 barrel on it, killed a couple Mulies with it....It's so-so, still like my Rem722 in 7mm08 better though.

Touché

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Soooo I was pretty close. You? Not so much.

But at least you've actually used your holy grail gun.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
If it ever happens it won’t be the same gun and it will cost more.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the opportunity to buy several at my LGS and regret not buying one now. At the time, my initial impression was that they were just a bit too compact and light for my preference and I ended up going in another direction. I do however think they are very well designed and manufactured and I think the stock was made by AG if I'm not mistaken. AG stocks retail for $639 so that a pretty nice stock on what was an $1,800 rifle.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Probably this.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well you did get the boomer part right...and proud of it. I traded electrical work for it to a manbunn guy who couldn't figure out which end of a screwdriver to hold, he also had a 6.5 because it would kill anything!...hence the manbunn comment...
However to be serious, that 24" Lilja and my handloads give me more velocity and energy that my .270 with a Douglas 22". Now you can start the .270G jokes.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Well you did get the boomer part right...and proud of it. I traded electrical work for it to a manbunn guy who couldn't figure out which end of a screwdriver to hold, he also had a 6.5 because it would kill anything!...hence the manbunn comment...
However to be serious, that 24" Lilja and my handloads give me more velocity and energy that my .270 with a Douglas 22". Now you can start the .270G jokes.

I have no issues with the 270win. It works, just like 6.5's of many flavors do.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The forums are so funny. Never got the wood for the Fieldcraft. It’s just a run of the mill hunting rifle. Not too much different than noslers rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
The forums are so funny. Never got the wood for the Fieldcraft. It’s just a run of the mill hunting rifle. Not too much different than noslers rifle.

Like I said in other post, mines just so-so. It had ejection problems like a lot of them did, Barrett fixed that no problem...What I really hate about it is the stock fit, I like a skinny pistol grip like in the old classic wood stocks or like the Manners MCS-UC, so that with gloves on you can still get a good all around grip on it. Unfortunately Manners does not make one for the BF. It is super light and great to pack but for the first time in a long time I got the scope-eye a couple times.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
New MSRP will be $2349 . Still worth it IMO

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked really hard at a 6.5x55 and 270 Fieldcrafts and never liked the ergo's. They did not fit me, so I could not convince myself I needed or wanted one that badly.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hoping they will lengthen the long action model and give them a 3.7" mag box or so. The 3" mag box and faster twist barrels are what I really like about the short action models.

Bb

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I can’t help but think you’re a midget type person if the Fieldcraft ergos don’t fit you.

There’s always barber College.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CRS
I looked really hard at a 6.5x55 and 270 Fieldcrafts and never liked the ergo's. They did not fit me, so I could not convince myself I needed or wanted one that badly.

Same here. Checked out a new one in 7-08 a few years back. Tried hard to like it, but much prefer my Montana's.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Poconojack
This and then some

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by CRS

Same here. Checked out a new one in 7-08 a few years back. Tried hard to like it, but much prefer my Montana's.

A Montana fits me much better.

Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I can’t help but think you’re a midget type person if the Fieldcraft ergos don’t fit you.

There’s always barber College.

Not a midget, and do not dwell on the reason why. grin A firearm either fits or it does not. The quality is definitely there, and had they fit me, would probably own one. I can say the same thing about NULA's.

Last edited by CRS; 02/09/23.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've fired a variety of rifles that fit differently and I just shoulder them and shoot the dang things. Can't say I've missed what I was shooting at because of fit. Though I don't try to pass shoot birds with them. What didn't fit?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I remember thinking the barrels were all too short for the cartridge they were chambered for so I had no interest. Unless it's a magnum I prefer a 22 inch barrel for eveything.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

If I had any hair left it’d probably be in a bun.

I picked up a brand new 6.5 Craftbeer Fieldcraft with 22” threaded barrel for $1450 out the door. Promptly spray painted it, then used it to tag a speed goat and whitetail.

Now I just kind of look at it and whisper sweet nothings to it, wishing I could spend time hunting again…

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Looks like the Fieldcraft might actually go back into production based on what the new CEO said, appears to be a big fan of the .243 Fieldcraft.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...interview-with-new-barrett-ceo-rob-nioa/

You weren’t kidding. From the article:

But my absolute current favorite Barrett firearm is my .243 Barrett Fieldcraft, really, and that’s what I’m using hunting in the Australian outback at the moment. It is the best hunting rifle I’ve ever used and I love it.

It’s lightweight, I’ve got a really cool Leupold optic on it and there’s nothing I can’t shoot with that. And it is absolutely magnificent. So I’m really keen to see that fieldcraft production picked up again because I absolutely love the product.

Use it. Love it. Yeah.”

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I've fired a variety of rifles that fit differently and I just shoulder them and shoot the dang things. Can't say I've missed what I was shooting at because of fit. Though I don't try to pass shoot birds with them. What didn't fit?

This was quite a few years ago, but LOP was too short, and drop was not conducive to optics lining up.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
CRS, you must have one hell of a wingspan!

The comments from the new owner do sound encouraging for the possibility of it coming back.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
never did know the fieldcraft to have ejection problems
i guess to each their own...i like mine they shoot extremely well,have great triggers, eject better than any rifle i have owned and at 21 inches i am not really loosing anything in the calibers i have to a 22 or 24 inch barrel

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by old_willys
Had a Fieldcraft in 270, should have never sold it...

Sorry I let my 270 go as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
People around here get orgasmic over these fieldcrafts.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by SlimBlundt

If I had any hair left it’d probably be in a bun.

I picked up a brand new 6.5 Craftbeer Fieldcraft with 22” threaded barrel for $1450 out the door. Promptly spray painted it, then used it to tag a speed goat and whitetail.

Now I just kind of look at it and whisper sweet nothings to it, wishing I could spend time hunting again…

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

They were a well put together package - especially the short actions.

They were never playground approved, however.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

The comments from the new owner do sound encouraging for the possibility of it coming back.

It was quite awhile ago when I handled a Fieldcraft, and my gray hair could be confusing me. crazy

Shows 13 3/4 LOP, maybe I felt it was too long. I prefer 13 5/8/. No matter the reason, I did not buy one.

Glad they are making a comeback.

Last edited by CRS; 02/10/23.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Have you any experience or opinions on them?

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I may have missed it- will they be manufactured in North America or will production be moved to Australia?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by robertham1
I may have missed it- will they be manufactured in North America or will production be moved to Australia?
They're retaining employees and manufacturing facilities in TN. My money is on they'll continue to manufacture in TN.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stainless micro action. That’s all I want.

Yup.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKduck
6 arc would be fun.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS

It was quite awhile ago when I handled a Fieldcraft, and my gray hair could be confusing me. crazy

Shows 13 3/4 LOP, maybe I felt it was too long. I prefer 13 5/8/. No matter the reason, I did not buy one.

CRS,

I found one a few years back and felt the LOP was too short as well. I was really wanting one, or so I thought. I shouldered Kimber Montana and it felt better to me. When I find one in a chambering I want I may buy one. Heck, maybe I’ll give a Feildcraft another chance when they come back.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by CRS

CRS,

I found one a few years back and felt the LOP was too short as well. I was really wanting one, or so I thought. I shouldered Kimber Montana and it felt better to me. When I find one in a chambering I want I may buy one. Heck, maybe I’ll give a Feildcraft another chance when they come back.

That musta been one of Stick’s he had cut down.

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by AKduck
6 arc would be fun.

Yes , I want one in 6.8 spc like they were working on...Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
6.8 micro would be nice

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Notice the same guys orgasmic over the fieldcraft are typically the same guys advocating 3 pound ffp 34 mm tube scopes. I guess you need a light rifle to tote it.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Notice the same guys orgasmic over the fieldcraft are typically the same guys advocating 3 pound ffp 34 mm tube scopes. I guess you need a light rifle to tote it.

Ronnie Barrett bang your ole lady proper? lol

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Who care's if it is. Much prefer the Montana.......Sold my Two Field Crafts for all the "usual reasons". Crazy long Length of pull, "Clubby fuggin stock", heavy ass bolt lift, gap between bolt and action to allow all kinda bullSh8t to fall into "blind mag"..........ETc, ETc, ETc,

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder if big stick has one. All y’all probably bought one cause of him

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think he has 3 or more. He's pretty well tooled up.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

How many 🗜️ you reckon you’ve sold?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

They were a well put together package - especially the short actions.

They were never playground approved, however.

Yeah , he is another Ruger RAR enabler

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

What’s your thoughts and experience with them?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was interested in one when they came out but never had a chance to hold one. I was sort of surprised to hear some call the stock clubby.
I figured it would be slender.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The field craft brand was sold to the same company before the main Barrett sale. The first sale drove the second sale.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Very interested in this thread, still waiting one in a 7mm08 threaded, but no luck yet. I think it would be cool if the made some in the 338 federal, 280ai, just to change it up some:)

J
J
I called Barrett and the gentleman on the line acknowledged the Australian purchaser's original interest in the Fieldcraft and that it is coming back and will be produced in TN and available to the USA market. He said the start date for production is literally TBD ....... said it could be late this year ....... or late next year. Looking forward to it coming back. More calibers is always fun. But he said he *thinks* it'll just pick up where it left off, with the existing calibers.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That’s always been a rifle that I’ve been interested in. I missed out on a NOS up for auction a year or so ago on GB. The biggest thing that I’d like to see done differently is a safety that locks the bolt in place and I’d trade a few ounces for a box magazine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Any updates on when?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes the internet goes crazy and hypes the heck out of something that is no big deal others join in and add to the hype. It’s kinda like when one of my dogs starts barking when they think someone is coming. The other dog starts barking too even though they didn’t hear anything, but it must be something because after all the other dog is barking. The Barrett Fieldcraft is an example of this on the campfire.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I never saw a Fieldcraft in person. I read that the barreled action was top shelf for sure but many liked the stocks on the Kimber Montanas better?

If someone asked you for a 5 star stock suggestion what would it be? I could see buying one more rifle for the rest of my days if it checked all the light weight easy to shoot well and crazy accurate boxes.

Maybe 2 of them if a slow twist .223 was an option. The first one would be 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't care what any of the Creedmoor is a poor reflection on a persons "manliness level" people say. I own one and have loaded for another. The ease of getting bragging sized groups is a big plus and I'm not planning to hunt anything larger than deer and maybe a black bear.

Montana stock is a POS next to that fieldcraft stock. Montana stock is cold moulded fiberglass made in Costa Rica, the Fieldcraft had an AG composite stock.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Slimblundt
Oregonmuley
JH2785

Thanks for posting interesting and useful links and information

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
This statement by the Rob Nioa is concerning.

"But in Australia, for more than 20 years, I’ve certainly worked at various state and federal government levels advocating for sensible gun laws for the industry." .

Here that would be what a gun control advocate would say.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by EIB0879
This statement by the Rob Nioa is concerning.

"But in Australia, for more than 20 years, I’ve certainly worked at various state and federal government levels advocating for sensible gun laws for the industry." .

Here that would be what a gun control advocate would say.

Rob Nioa is definitely not an advocate for gun control. He is in fact hated by them, and puts a good deal of his time and money into representing the interests of shooters, who are, after all, customers. A minute or so of research would have told you that.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very happy with my threaded 6 Creed and 22-250 wallowed out to 22 Creed, a 6.5 just to have would be nice.

The Evil Twins and the the ugly stepchild do fit better, Montana's with Lilja factory dupes.

Betting when they resurface they will be no less than 1,999.99

Dave

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RDW
Very happy with my threaded 6 Creed and 22-250 wallowed out to 22 Creed, a 6.5 just to have would be nice.

The Evil Twins and the the ugly stepchild do fit better, Montana's with Lilja factory dupes.

Interested in your 22/250 to 22 creed conversion. What was involved ?

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW

Sent to that gunsmith in CA, he sent it back a few days later after running a reamer through the bore.

Dave

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by RDW

Sent to that gunsmith in CA, he sent it back a few days later after running a reamer through the bore.
It had to be rebored or rechambered?

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
You send it to Shaen. He rechambers to 22 creed. Easy peasy. Shaen is the best smith I’ve encountered.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Montana stock is a POS next to that fieldcraft stock. Montana stock is cold moulded fiberglass made in Costa Rica, the Fieldcraft had an AG composite stock.

Wow, in your opinion the Fieldcraft stock is better made than the Montana stock. But, there is nothing wrong with the Montana stock.

IMO, the contours of the Fieldcraft stock are in no way as comfortable as the Montana stock. IMO, there are angles and contours on the Fieldcraft stock that are sharp, square even, rather than rounded off for comfort on the gripping surfaces.

I can never understand why companies design an elite rifle with what feels like an ill carved 2x4.

The early Nosler rifles had an even worse formed stock. Very sharp edged in the grip area.

Bottom line, I cannot spend Fieldcraft money on a rifle that feels like that. Not when I have Montanas and Hunters that feel better much better in my hand. As I have not had problems with any of my Kimbers, they are my choice over the Fieldcraft. YMMV.

Last edited by AB2506; 01/18/24.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, rechambered.

And thanks qwk, it was Shaen.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think Shaen is taking new work right now, apart from previous customers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.