Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bode Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
To some of the veterans of reloading rifles. Could anyone give some affordable starter advice and equipment to use...May do a cpl hundred a year so nothing fancy or expensive but good durable and accurate equipment for myself and my sons to get started.
Thanks

BYW, I didn't see a general reloading forum for this so please let me know if I need to delete or have moved. Thank you.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want to keep costs down you might start with a kit. Several manufacturers including RCBS and Lee sell kits that include a single stage press and a number of basic accessories. You'll still need to buy dies for the specific cartridges you want to reload plus a few other things, but this can be a more economical way to get into reloading. And of course you will need brass, primers, powder and bullets for the cartridges you're loading.

If you want to keep costs to a minimum Lee reloading products are very economical.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Brownells has a pretty deal on the RCBS Rockchucker kit right now. I think all in its around $250. Good place to start.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, you'll need a press to get started. boatboy has/had an RCBS Rockchucker for sale at $150 in the classifieds here. Can't go wrong with a Rockchucker or any single stage press from RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Lyman, or Forster. I'm not a huge Lee press fan, but the Classic Cast is a good unit.

You'll need dies for whatever cartridge you're loading. RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Forster are all good dies. I have a preference for Redding and Forster, but RCBS has never done me wrong. Hornady has done me wrong on dies before, but I'm sure it's a very rare occurrence.

Powder measure - this is technically optional, but I can't imagine loading without one. There are lots of good measures out there. The latest tech combines the powder dispenser with a digital scale, but the price isn't justified for what you're describing. I'd recommend a Lyman #55, RCBS Uniflow, or Redding. Avoid the Lee "Perfect" Measure unless you like getting frustrated. I've got an RCBS Uniflow in good working condition that I'd send you for a reasonable price.

Scale - definitely need a scale. Primarily for weighing powder. There are lots of digital scale options and I don't trust electronics, so I only use an electronic scale to weight sort projectiles that I've cast. I like a good dampened beam scale. RCBS/Ohaus 505 or 1010 are great scales. I've got a Lyman dampened beam scale on the bench that I would be willing to part with to get you and your son started. I've checked it against my Ohaus 1010 and it's rock solid for consistency

RELOADING MANUAL! You need a good printed reloading manual. Good ones, such as Lyman, Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Sierra will have the entire front half of the book devoted to step by step loading procedures and trouble shooting and what to watch for with brass and setting up dies. They are invaluable. Don't just try to glean information from the internet. Go with published resources until you know exactly what you're doing.

Those are the basics for equipment. You can get into lots more stuff - case trimmers, concentricity gauges, and all sort of gadgets and doo dads. But a press, dies, scale, powder measure, and manual will get you rolling for "permanent" items in your kit.

Other stuff you will need:
Case lube for resizing cases (unless you're strictly loading straightwall pistol cases with carbide dies). My first and last recommendation is Imperial Sizing Die wax, now sold by Redding if I'm not mistaken.

Brass - not all brass is created equal. I detest Winchester brass personally. You can't go wrong with Petersen, Lapua, Norma, Hornady, Nosler, or Starline. But you'll pay for it. Starline is the most affordable of the bunch. Remington and Federal aren't too bad in the brass department in my experience. But they're a tier below the first ones I listed in terms of quality and consistency. And they're less expensive.

Primers - this will be the tougher/more expensive thing to find at the moment. Good luck
Powder - After you have a manual and know what you intend to reload you can go by powder. Stick to the recipes in the loading manual. Don't try to substitute powder in the recipes. Things can get hairy really fast and you're setting off an explosion next to your face. Plan accordingly.
Bullets - Lots of bullet options out there, currently limited supply on most of them. Contrary to popular internet belief, you don't need super ultra premium bullets that cost $1.20 each to kill deer or varmints. Put the bullet in the right spot and stuff dies, even with the common cup and core jacketed bullets.

What cartridge(s) do you intend to load and for what purpose?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is boatboy's Rockchucker. Can't go wrong and boatboy is a well-known member of the forum, he's not going to screw you. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...89174/wts-rcbs-rock-chucker#Post18089174

The other things you'll need is some way of priming your cases. Many presses have an onboard priming attachment that is usually pretty slow, but works well. I use an older Lee Autoprime personally for most of my priming.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B2

B
Bode Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Wow. Tha ks for the info.
Was looking at brownells kits. Looks like some good discounts going on.
The above rockchucker has sold. When included in a kit they r reasonable. Looking at classifieds for dies etc...

Calibers right now:
7mm08
300winmag.
Purchased quite a bit of the norma whitetail to reuse the brass as I've read it's pretty good stuff. Very good prices on it right now imo.
Thanks again.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by selmer
Well, you'll need a press to get started. boatboy has/had an RCBS Rockchucker for sale at $150 in the classifieds here. Can't go wrong with a Rockchucker or any single stage press from RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Lyman, or Forster. I'm not a huge Lee press fan, but the Classic Cast is a good unit.

You'll need dies for whatever cartridge you're loading. RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Forster are all good dies. I have a preference for Redding and Forster, but RCBS has never done me wrong. Hornady has done me wrong on dies before, but I'm sure it's a very rare occurrence.

Powder measure - this is technically optional, but I can't imagine loading without one. There are lots of good measures out there. The latest tech combines the powder dispenser with a digital scale, but the price isn't justified for what you're describing. I'd recommend a Lyman #55, RCBS Uniflow, or Redding. Avoid the Lee "Perfect" Measure unless you like getting frustrated. I've got an RCBS Uniflow in good working condition that I'd send you for a reasonable price.

Scale - definitely need a scale. Primarily for weighing powder. There are lots of digital scale options and I don't trust electronics, so I only use an electronic scale to weight sort projectiles that I've cast. I like a good dampened beam scale. RCBS/Ohaus 505 or 1010 are great scales. I've got a Lyman dampened beam scale on the bench that I would be willing to part with to get you and your son started. I've checked it against my Ohaus 1010 and it's rock solid for consistency

RELOADING MANUAL! You need a good printed reloading manual. Good ones, such as Lyman, Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Sierra will have the entire front half of the book devoted to step by step loading procedures and trouble shooting and what to watch for with brass and setting up dies. They are invaluable. Don't just try to glean information from the internet. Go with published resources until you know exactly what you're doing.

Those are the basics for equipment. You can get into lots more stuff - case trimmers, concentricity gauges, and all sort of gadgets and doo dads. But a press, dies, scale, powder measure, and manual will get you rolling for "permanent" items in your kit.

Other stuff you will need:
Case lube for resizing cases (unless you're strictly loading straightwall pistol cases with carbide dies). My first and last recommendation is Imperial Sizing Die wax, now sold by Redding if I'm not mistaken.

Brass - not all brass is created equal. I detest Winchester brass personally. You can't go wrong with Petersen, Lapua, Norma, Hornady, Nosler, or Starline. But you'll pay for it. Starline is the most affordable of the bunch. Remington and Federal aren't too bad in the brass department in my experience. But they're a tier below the first ones I listed in terms of quality and consistency. And they're less expensive.

Primers - this will be the tougher/more expensive thing to find at the moment. Good luck
Powder - After you have a manual and know what you intend to reload you can go by powder. Stick to the recipes in the loading manual. Don't try to substitute powder in the recipes. Things can get hairy really fast and you're setting off an explosion next to your face. Plan accordingly.
Bullets - Lots of bullet options out there, currently limited supply on most of them. Contrary to popular internet belief, you don't need super ultra premium bullets that cost $1.20 each to kill deer or varmints. Put the bullet in the right spot and stuff dies, even with the common cup and core jacketed bullets.

What cartridge(s) do you intend to load and for what purpose?

Great post Selmer. I'd add a case trimmer to the "permanent" list you provided. Not to step on toes, but I'd keep everything RCBS and keep that schidt simple. No need to go full on retard with neck sizing dies and bushings and other unnecessary schidt like that. I'd also invest in a good concentricity gauge, as that will tell you if you are loading straight ammo. Or if you run into issues regarding accuracy, you can diagnose and rule out an ammo issue, in regards to how straight it is. Reloading ammo is a subject that needs to be taken seriously. If I were only going to load 200 rounds per year, I would not load ammo, but buy it at the store. The OP may want to really think this through. Also, does he have the patience to do everything right every time? No cutting corners, keeping everything consistent as it needs to be and properly working up loads. You don't just throw something together and call it done. That is where some guys really screw the pooch in their way of thinking. You'll need to take that ammo out and test it at the range. There is a lot to properly handloading ammo and it generally takes a person willing to commit to it. Also, doing a "cpl hundred per year", as the OP states, would never pay for the equipment. Nor be a feasible reason to start reloading your own.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Bode Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the info bsa1917. I won't half ass anything you can be sure...
If and when another ammo shortage comes I want to have my ducks in a row. I did entertain the thought of having someone load for me also but not much different then going to the ammo store in my mind.

This isn't about "paying" for the equipment but merely wanting to get best performance and not reliant on factory ammo and learning something new, process oreinted.

Hard parts are a cpl tanks of diesel in the pickup.

My thoughts on rcbs are in line with yours. KISS applies

This is also about spending time with my boys and learning and teaching them about how to be self reliant and sufficient...not just going to the store everytime they need something. A sense of pride knowing that the game is taken with ammo you created etc.
there is more to life than overbearing schools and time consuming sports and smart phones...if u need something buy it instead of create it is not the way I was raised nor how I am raising my 3 sons.
We are applying for elk tags Hopefully the draw is good to us.

Appreciate your time and concerns plus your insight.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before the great scandemic you could pick rcbs rc presses used for $40 bucks, rcbs scales $35-40. If I was wanting to get into reloading pre 2020 was the time to do it. But enough of that as others said buy all one brand RCBS easiest way to go. Every gunshop I been in has a wall of used dies. You be surprised all the new rcbs dies you find at used prices. Last set of new dies I bought was 4-5 yrs ago.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Bode Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the info 79s. Reloading equipment looks to be trending downwards at the moment prise wise. But so is factory ammo...

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree with everyone else...it's an interesting thing to learn but you'll definitely pay for it in time and in cash.

As BSA said I'd pick up the gauges early on: concentricity gauge and LNL OAL gauge or something like it. You don't "need" either one but it'll save time and money in the long run. You'll have a decent sense of how much you're jumping the bullet and if your practices are resulting in straight ammo (they usually won't at first). Also pick a way to measure shoulder setback, whether it's with empty pistol cases or a gauge set.

B
Bode Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ok. Thank you for the info. I know it will be a expense and time invested but believe we will have fun with it and learn and better ourselves...hopefully.lol
If not I've wasted money on other things not so fun before... thanks again

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bode
Ok. Thank you for the info. I know it will be a expense and time invested but believe we will have fun with it and learn and better ourselves...hopefully.lol
If not I've wasted money on other things not so fun before... thanks again
You are getting good advice here and are on the right track. You don't necessarily get into reloading to save money but to shoot more. Start slow, be careful and have fun.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Investigate the Forster/Bonanza Co-ax press (maybe a used one?)... Pricey, But IMO it's easier to make quality ammo with it's self centering floating universal shell holder design... Also one of those Electronic Powder measure/Dispensers would make a tedious job easier...

B
Bode Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thank you 7mmloco and blacktailer

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One thing I didn't see mentioned that you need is a set of calipers. You'll need to measure to the .001 for things like seating and trimming. I started years ago with making a list of things I needed/wanted and put it in a spreadsheet with prices/part numbers. I also bought a load manual first and read it cover to cover (Lyman I believe). It gave me a good idea of what I was getting into. To break it down, here is what you need as a bare bones minimum:

- Press (and shell holders for the calibers you're loading)
- Dies
- Lube
- Neck brush cleaning set
- Scale (can be digital or electronic)
- Calipers (can be digital or electronic)
- Chamfer / Debur tool
- Powder Scoops -OR- powder thrower
- Case Trimmer (can be manual or powered)
- Powder Funnel
- Powder / Brass / Primers / Bullets
- Safety Glasses

Optional Items:
- Tumber (to clean brass)
- Enhanced measuring tools (to measure such things as concentricity, ogive, etc.)
- Primer pocket cleaning tool

Lastly, don't think that you'll ONLY load 200 rounds a year. I've never met a handloader that sticks with what he thinks he wants to do start out. Handloading doesn't save money, it allows enables you to shoot more. It's as much a hobby as shooting and hunting. The kits are a good way to go but make sure they have everything above.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a Rockchucker, sent a PM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bode
To some of the veterans of reloading rifles. Could anyone give some affordable starter advice and equipment to use...May do a cpl hundred a year so nothing fancy or expensive but good durable and accurate equipment for myself and my sons to get started.
Thanks

BYW, I didn't see a general reloading forum for this so please let me know if I need to delete or have moved. Thank you.

If you're new, I'd recommend going to Youtube and watching Gunblue490's reloading videos. He does a series, is a great teacher and stresses economics.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

B
Bode Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks everyone

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Excellent advice offered here.

My thoughts:

Starting with a kit works well.... it did for me 33 years ago.

Other things which make reloading an enjoyable hobby:

-- reloading blocks..... to hold your cases as you go. buy some; make some

-- Notebooks..... keep records of ALL reloading. label your cartridge groups

--Cartridge boxes..... i use the green plastic type

--Work space.... Have a secure place for your equipment. specially with kids around.

i have 3 reloading manuals. 2 of em I bought at garage sales.

reloading is a fine hobby.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.