Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by roundoak
While out for the day in wild country, I used to wear a back pack for all my stuff and as the OP mentioned if you want access you have to take it off. One day at a garage sale I bought a used H.S. Strut turkey vest. The only modification I did was remove the padded seat.

I practiced off hand shooting with it to get the feel of the padded straps.

One late afternoon hunting elk I got caught in a snow squall and complete whiteout and spent the night on the side of the mountain between a Arcturus survival blanket and a space blanket.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

smile

Since he was outed, it's almost laughable when you read his post's. smile

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All depends on how far I’m going in or I plan to stay. 4-6 hours will be my bingo harness and a Kifaru Rogan fanny pack. All day will be a daypack and still possibly the bino harness. Over night and longer or anything requiring a pack out will be a Kifaru full sized backpack. If I walk in and back out for a morning or evening it’s typically just the bino harness.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Another option that I use for drives when I don't want to carry a pack is a blaze orange molle Vest:

https://www.canadahuntgear.com/collections/9pc-package-deal

I didn't buy all the pouches for mine and it easily holds enough stuff for a morning hunt. We normaly do drives on smaller walk in hunting areas, so it's quite a bit of in/out of the truck. Makes it easier just to slip on the vest. It has a bladder carrier and I just run a couple straps up the back to strap down my jacket when it gets warm. The back will easily support a buttpack sized pouch.

Most of the time hunting I carry a backpack. Here in KS with our temp swings during rifle season I end up packing a lot of outer wear in and out.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by StoneCold
Another great option is a sling pack. It only goes over 1 shoulder. It is designed to be able to rotate it to your front and be in perfect position to access your gear.

This.

miguel, I use a sling pack for exactly what you're doing.

I'm sure there are better sling packs but this one does pretty well and can be adjusted to move the strap to either shoulder.
https://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/shop/hunting-packs/sling
Thanks for the suggestions. My wife got me the sling pack from tenzingoutdoors and it looks like it is just what I needed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by roundoak
While out for the day in wild country, I used to wear a back pack for all my stuff and as the OP mentioned if you want access you have to take it off. One day at a garage sale I bought a used H.S. Strut turkey vest. The only modification I did was remove the padded seat.

I practiced off hand shooting with it to get the feel of the padded straps.

One late afternoon hunting elk I got caught in a snow squall and complete whiteout and spent the night on the side of the mountain between a Arcturus survival blanket and a space blanket.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by miguel
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by StoneCold
Another great option is a sling pack. It only goes over 1 shoulder. It is designed to be able to rotate it to your front and be in perfect position to access your gear.

This.

miguel, I use a sling pack for exactly what you're doing.

I'm sure there are better sling packs but this one does pretty well and can be adjusted to move the strap to either shoulder.
https://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/shop/hunting-packs/sling
Thanks for the suggestions. My wife got me the sling pack from tenzingoutdoors and it looks like it is just what I needed.

Cool. I hope it works out for ya.

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
Another option that I use for drives when I don't want to carry a pack is a blaze orange molle Vest:

https://www.canadahuntgear.com/collections/9pc-package-deal

I didn't buy all the pouches for mine and it easily holds enough stuff for a morning hunt. We normaly do drives on smaller walk in hunting areas, so it's quite a bit of in/out of the truck. Makes it easier just to slip on the vest. It has a bladder carrier and I just run a couple straps up the back to strap down my jacket when it gets warm. The back will easily support a buttpack sized pouch.

Most of the time hunting I carry a backpack. Here in KS with our temp swings during rifle season I end up packing a lot of outer wear in and out.
Another member has one listed in the Classifieds if anybody's thinking of one. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...canada-hunt-gear-blaze-orange-molle-vest

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I used the alps Lil’ bear last season and was impressed. I find my self carrying too much stuff even with a day pack and not having my back covered keeps me a lot cooler while hiking. It’s perfect for water, snacks, a couple extra shells, a knife, TP, game bag and some cord. Our deer around here aren’t huge by any means and I’ve been able to quarter one out and throw everything in a game bag over my shoulder and pack it out but I prefer to bring em out whole to hang and butcher them. I hunt a lot of public land and can’t drive back to pack a deer out so I prefer a game cart or jet sled over quartering honestly.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here’s a left shoulder bag.

Patagonia sling

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tried several different Fanny packs…..always came back to my day pack. More comfortable and more gear options! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.