Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to go cheap, buy PSA.

Their prices are pretty decent & they've raised their game significantly & have a pretty broad range of product.

Anyone dealing with BCA after all the horror stories, gets whatever they deserve...................AR roulette.

Hard to fix stupid (or cheap) sometimes.

Rock on boys.

MM

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ll be in Charleston in two weeks and plan on stopping by PSA just to see what they got. I’ve had PSA AR’s before and was not too impressed. Probably just looking for an excuse to visit a LGS.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Traded for a BC 350 Legend upper 2 years ago. It was the biggest POS I've ever owned. It shot patterns not groups. A couple of friends experience the same results with BC uppers. NEVER AGAIN!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 450 Bushmaster upper from BCA. Functions fine and good groups. Seems like luck of the draw.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Guess I'm just lucky, I have 2 BCA uppers, a 50 Beowulf and a 350 led. Both shoot fine, and functions as they should.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At least they are cheap enough that you can throw a new barrel on them and/or other parts and be about even. laugh

Whatever. Be prepared to do some basement smithing or put up with some idiosyncrasies.

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Looking harder at Windham or White Oak. Already dealing with a Bartelin that is refusing to behave on my 300. Hearing Bartelin is having problems, which would fit my situation right now.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I may buy some of their side-charging uppers for suppressor host, straight pull, hunting uppers….but their barrels are [bleep]. I’ve had two buddies bring BCA 300 uppers to me with issues, that would disassemble loaded rounds when unloading, leaving the bullet stuck in the neck and dumping powder everywhere.

Wyndham is the original Bushmaster employees, IIRC, that started up their own shop with the original facility, after the company was sold. I’ve had a few of their rifles, and they were good ARs. Didn’t keep them long enough or use for enough crazy hard or long range work to say if they compare with ‘top shelf’, but I’d have no problem buying from them.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/04/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Looking harder at Windham or White Oak. Already dealing with a Bartelin that is refusing to behave on my 300. Hearing Bartelin is having problems, which would fit my situation right now.

What's the problem with the Bartlien?

Just my POV, but I'd have a hard time justifying a Bartlien on a 300.

As for PSA, don't know how long ago you had any of their stuff, but they've definitely upped their game over the last 3 years or so...........they're using a lot of FN chrome lined barrels which are very good barrels for something not stainless. And they're offering some options with top shelf parts. FN generally gets their gas ports sized right.

For the most part, I usually build, & tend toward high end parts, but we've bought 3 of their P&W'ed 14.7" uppers, 2 with Geiselle rails, one with their rail, & all 3 have been dead solid perfect in performance with all the accuracy you can use with a red dot sight.

Here's a pic of one of them with the Geiselle rail.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

As for PSA, don't know how long ago you had any of their stuff, but they've definitely upped their game over the last 3 years or so...........they're using a lot of FN chrome lined barrels which are very good barrels for something not stainless. And they're offering some options with top shelf parts. FN generally gets their gas ports sized right.

For the most part, I usually build, & tend toward high end parts, but we've bought 3 of their P&W'ed 14.7" uppers, 2 with Geiselle rails, one with their rail, & all 3 have been dead solid perfect in performance with all the accuracy you can use with a red dot sight.

MM

Very nice rifle. What about Aero Precision? The BA barrels they use seem to be pretty good. I'm also wondering about Stag.. Larue seems to have a following, but I don't believe Larue makes anything like what the OP is asking about. Just so I am reading this right, the OP is wanting an AR with an A2 front sight. Does it have to have a carry handle or can it use a flip up rear sight? I think being able to run an optic to diagnose precision would be a good idea, as 79s also agreed. Didn't hear from the OP if that was acceptable or not. Also, wasn't brownells building some A2 rifles a while back? I believe you could get an upper from them, but not sure about right now.. If so, how did they shoot? I saw some youtube videos on them, but like most of the youtube videos, guys can't shoot for schidt there. The only mother fugger than can shoot on Youtube with an m16 style rifle is one I've posted videos of before:

Any of you guys, besides 79s go to AR shoots or the like? So maybe you can share some of your experience on what you've seen. I know rost has shot the hell out of these, and some supposed camp perry guys here.. I've shot with some high master class shooters at my club. They come from the big city, but their rifles are no where near what the oldschool M16 looked like. They look more like a space gun to me. Very heavy long barrels with aperture sights in the front and even magnified rear apertures. Those guys shoot well enough, but it only forces me to pull my noveske out. Boy oh boy, talk about sniveling. Those guys hate getting beat..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have never owned a BCA lower but have dabbled in a few uppers. The first was a M4 looking carbine upper in 6.5 Grendel. MOA shooter and never once failed to function. The second a 350 legend that needed a bit of love to get to function properly, that was a magazine issue. still shoots great with cast and jacketed loads. The last was a 223 Wilde upper I got for the parts to install a 300 Ham'r barrel on. Well crap that durn barrel is a tackdriver. No function issues at all, I recently ran 300 rounds through it testing a pile of old magazines with cheap steel cased smmo and not a single problem of any kind. Gave it a deep clean and expect it to do the same thing again. I guess I have been lucky. My last PSA lower gave me issues with the bolt release and the trigger. Easy fixes but still.

Last edited by rickt300; 02/04/23.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

MM

The Bartelin was suggested to me by my gunsmith. He’s done several rifles for me and they’ve all been tackdrivers. This was a 700 300 Win originally. Back in the good old days of production. Ohhh but that wasn’t powerful enough. I had to have a 300 RUM. He suggested back then, a Shilen match barrel, along with his own muzzle brake. Life was good. 1/2” groups pretty much every time. After a dozen or so years I grew tired of getting the living hell kicked out of me (the brake could only do so much). Told my friend John I’m ready to go back to the original chambering. Was told Bartelin is the barrel making all the noise right now…good stuff. The rifle would shoot decent one day, ok the next but never ever a three, four shot group with bullets touching. Inch and a half, two inches. I got much better with the Shilen/ RUM combo. Thought it was the scope. Got rid of a perfectly good S&B Klassic. Tried a Leupold VX5-HD. No good. New Schmidt Stratos…..inch and a half.

The barrel has 175-180 rounds down the tube and no group or bullet combination clicks.

If, and that’s a big IF now, I swap out barrels again I’ll probably hit up Krieger.

Last edited by Godogs57; 02/04/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Any of you guys, besides 79s go to AR shoots or the like? So maybe you can share some of your experience on what you've seen. I know rost has shot the hell out of these, and some supposed camp perry guys here..
You know I do. All my friends are Service Rifle knuckledraggers. We are all sporting 4.5x scopes and lots of UBR stocks.
I've shot with some high master class shooters at my club. They come from the big city, but their rifles are no where near what the oldschool M16 looked like. They look more like a space gun to me. Very heavy long barrels with aperture sights in the front and even magnified rear apertures. Those guys shoot well enough, but it only forces me to pull my noveske out. Boy oh boy, talk about sniveling. Those guys hate getting beat..
That's exactly what we call those rifles, "space guns". In HP that's Match Rifle class. Ineligible for Leg Points. Lot of guys go to them once they've got their Distinguished Badge. The sights are easier to use for old guys than A2 sights. Now that scopes are legal, most guys are sticking with Service Rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The barrel has 175-180 rounds down the tube and no group or bullet combination clicks.

If, and that’s a big IF now, I swap out barrels again I’ll probably hit up Krieger.
I've had that experience too and reached the same conclusion.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Any of you guys, besides 79s go to AR shoots or the like? So maybe you can share some of your experience on what you've seen. I know rost has shot the hell out of these, and some supposed camp perry guys here..
You know I do. All my friends are Service Rifle knuckledraggers. We are all sporting 4.5x scopes and lots of UBR stocks.
I've shot with some high master class shooters at my club. They come from the big city, but their rifles are no where near what the oldschool M16 looked like. They look more like a space gun to me. Very heavy long barrels with aperture sights in the front and even magnified rear apertures. Those guys shoot well enough, but it only forces me to pull my noveske out. Boy oh boy, talk about sniveling. Those guys hate getting beat..
That's exactly what we call those rifles, "space guns". In HP that's Match Rifle class. Ineligible for Leg Points. Lot of guys go to them once they've got their Distinguished Badge. The sights are easier to use for old guys than A2 sights. Now that scopes are legal, most guys are sticking with Service Rifle.

Yep at EIC match those space guns stay at home. We have one last hold out who refuses to shoot AR15 for leg match and drags out the old M1A, for the leg match. Shooting irons is fine and dandy but unless you have phenomenal eye sight shooting out 600yds sucks. Lol.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Yep at EIC match those space guns stay at home. We have one last hold out who refuses to shoot AR15 for leg match and drags out the old M1A, for the leg match. Shooting irons is fine and dandy but unless you have phenomenal eye sight shooting out 600yds sucks. Lol.

I watched Norm Crawford shoot a clean 600yd match at Butner with M14. The conditions were not optimimal, but not terrible. Hot with a fish tail from 6.

Watched him clean 600 in anther match while having to stop and take care of one of his kids that was cutting up behind the line. The kid must have been fearless, I always thought that if I looked at Crawford wrong he'd just kill me on the spot.....

I legged out with a M1A in the late 90's. I've been out of it for a long time but I'll bet the "good" scores from that time wouldn't even make the cut now.

Moved to a bolt match rifle asap. My eyesight was terrible and getting worse, very nearsighted all my life and then the presbyopia on top of that. A regular Mr. Magoo I was!

I like reading you all's posts on High Power matches.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've owned dozens of AR's, some "match grade" with Krieger barrels, Colt, Armalite, RRA, Spikes, BCM, Sabre Defense, Bushmaster, Green Mountain and numerous others. Oddly enough, my most accurate 5.56 barrels are plain old RRA chrome moly, a 16", followed by a 20". Not a fanboy of any particular brand, just stating my findings. The RRA's I have are older guns from their early days.

I collect expensive hobbies.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Bartelin was suggested to me by my gunsmith. He’s done several rifles for me and they’ve all been tackdrivers. This was a 700 300 Win originally.

OK, sorry, I misunderstood what kind of rifle you were taking about..........since this was an AR thread I just assumed you were talking about a 300 Blackout AR.

Bartlien's are normally very top shelf barrels & their pricing is top shelf too.

You should have just sent it back as I'd be surprised if they wouldn't have addressed the situation.

MM

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
The Bartelin was suggested to me by my gunsmith. He’s done several rifles for me and they’ve all been tackdrivers. This was a 700 300 Win originally.

OK, sorry, I misunderstood what kind of rifle you were taking about..........since this was an AR thread I just assumed you were talking about a 300 Blackout AR.

Bartlien's are normally very top shelf barrels & their pricing is top shelf too.

You should have just sent it back as I'd be surprised if they wouldn't have addressed the situation.

MM
Talked to my gunsmith buddy this afternoon about this. Bartelin is going through something or another, as they are dealing with some negative feedback. My gunsmith buddy and a fellow gunsmith have been in conversation with them about some issues and the folks at Bartelin are hanging up on them it’s gotten so bad.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
BCA is "ok" for some raw parts, like a barrel for example, but there is no way in hell you could convince me to buy anything "complete" from them, even if it's just an upper. Rather buy Palmetto State if I'm looking towards that price range.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,075
Posts18,463,807
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.