Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL….a barrel is the LAST part I’d buy from them. I’m trying to think if I’ve even seen one that had a chamber/throat cut to spec, much less shoot accurately.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/05/23.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
LOL….a barrel is the LAST part I’d buy from them. I’m trying to think if I’ve even seen one that had a chamber/throat cut to spec, much less shoot accurately.
I’m not sure but I think I have my answer. 🤣

Way too many red flags raised with them. Exactly why I asked you guys…..I had never heard of them.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
My 6.5 Grendel SS barrel does quite well. These type groups are fairly routine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I'd only buy one for a "close enough" lmao, definitely not for anything other than trash dumping at the range.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m replacing a BCA Grendel barrel right now that might group within 3-4” @100. Realistically, it starts stringing them all horizontal. As everything else checks out, and it’s across all ammo tried, it’s an indicator of another jacked up throat/neck chamber cut.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Oh boy the infamous raid from 4yrs ago. still being brought up..

Might be 4 years ago, but unless the company has changed hands (I don't know one way or the other) that's kinda indicative of business practices.

I don't know too many illegals (even legals under 30) who can read mic's & calipers & prints, much less tell if what's coming off a machine is good or bad.

And that comes from direct experience in a precision industry not gun related, with who we can hire today.

YMMV

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m replacing a BCA Grendel barrel right now that might group within 3-4” @100. Realistically, it starts stringing them all horizontal. As everything else checks out, and it’s across all ammo tried, it’s an indicator of another jacked up throat/neck chamber cut.
Irons or scope? If the barrel index pin is missing or the slot is loose, iron sight guns will do that.

Politics is War by Other Means
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Scoped. Everything else is as it should be. If it’s an index pin, I’ll see it when I take it down…..but I’ve seen this several times, to varying degrees with their barrels.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 79S
Oh boy the infamous raid from 4yrs ago. still being brought up..

Well, in fairness, the upper that Anthony bought was a few months before that.

And the raid still happened.

After seeing them screw up the barrel, and then not even being capable of putting the right caliber bolt in it, I wouldn't buy anything from them.

Anyone as incompetent as what I saw, should not remain in business. If you think I could recommend them with a straight face, think again.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I must be very lucky! I have 224 Valkyrie, 6.5 GRENDEL, 350 LEGEND, 223 Wylde, 7.62 X 39, 300 Blackout and several 5.56 barrels from BCA and all shoot very well. The 223 Wylde took some breaking in, but it shoots better every time I shoot it and thoroughly clean the barrel. I thought the 5.56 barrels were defective after I assembled rifles and they wouldn't chamber and fire any ammunition. Called BCA and they asked for the barrels and bolts I was using, which were Aero "Precision". Got a call a week later and the tech said the Aero Precision bolts were not machined correctly. The hole for the ejector was not machined deep enough. When returning my barrels and bolts, he sent me two new BCA bolts and the rifles functioned perfectly with them. I'd call that pretty good customer service. I was able to make the Aero Precision bolts function by shortening the ejector springs one coil. Oh, I shoot the Grendel and Valkyrie in our local 300 yard F-Class matches. Both shoot my match handloads into 1/2" for five shots.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ldholton
I've had two Bear Creek 6.5 Grendel barrels.
neither was a very good experience... the best one might regularly shoot 4 in at 100 m with the same loads my Faxon barrel , PSA uppper and ruger American bolt gun chambered the same all shot said load under moa. and yes I tried many other loads in the Bear Creek barrels but to no avail.
high price tomato stakes
Interesting. We own 4 bear creek uppers. One was 22LR that had issues from the get go. That I tried to fix and failed. They sent a brand new one that works perfectly now. Customer service.

The other 3 we own are 2 in 223 and one in 6.5 Grendel. I"ve also sighted in about 3 others in 6.5 Grendel so far. All have functioned fine. All have shot 1 inch group for 5 shots at 100 while in the zero phase. Or better. Couple took my reloads to do it with but I didn't tweak the loads, just whatever I have loaded for our Grendel.

I have not played with bear creek until the last few years though FWIW.

My goal now is to buy an on sale upper at about 200 bucks or so every sale they put on. So far no flies on that for general beat around guns and so far as noted they have been holding to MOA for our uses basically. One is probably more like an honest 1.2 or so MOA gun but its plenty good for pigs and coyotes out to 300 around the house which is about as far as we typically shoot at them if so inclined.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Looking harder at Windham or White Oak. Already dealing with a Bartelin that is refusing to behave on my 300. Hearing Bartelin is having problems, which would fit my situation right now.

What's the problem with the Bartlien?

Just my POV, but I'd have a hard time justifying a Bartlien on a 300.

As for PSA, don't know how long ago you had any of their stuff, but they've definitely upped their game over the last 3 years or so...........they're using a lot of FN chrome lined barrels which are very good barrels for something not stainless. And they're offering some options with top shelf parts. FN generally gets their gas ports sized right.

For the most part, I usually build, & tend toward high end parts, but we've bought 3 of their P&W'ed 14.7" uppers, 2 with Geiselle rails, one with their rail, & all 3 have been dead solid perfect in performance with all the accuracy you can use with a red dot sight.

Here's a pic of one of them with the Geiselle rail.

MM

The Bartelin was suggested to me by my gunsmith. He’s done several rifles for me and they’ve all been tackdrivers. This was a 700 300 Win originally. Back in the good old days of production. Ohhh but that wasn’t powerful enough. I had to have a 300 RUM. He suggested back then, a Shilen match barrel, along with his own muzzle brake. Life was good. 1/2” groups pretty much every time. After a dozen or so years I grew tired of getting the living hell kicked out of me (the brake could only do so much). Told my friend John I’m ready to go back to the original chambering. Was told Bartelin is the barrel making all the noise right now…good stuff. The rifle would shoot decent one day, ok the next but never ever a three, four shot group with bullets touching. Inch and a half, two inches. I got much better with the Shilen/ RUM combo. Thought it was the scope. Got rid of a perfectly good S&B Klassic. Tried a Leupold VX5-HD. No good. New Schmidt Stratos…..inch and a half.

The barrel has 175-180 rounds down the tube and no group or bullet combination clicks.

If, and that’s a big IF now, I swap out barrels again I’ll probably hit up Krieger.
For you and others. If you have accuracy issues with any barrels please send em back. Almost all makers know there can be issues. Those can't be helped sometimes and have no clue until its on the gun. I don't know of any that won't back em up. Well there was maybe one years ago but I can't recall the name and don't want to use the wrong name.

I"ve had a bad Kreiger before so you just never know. But they have all stood behind the product in various ways.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd consider an Anderson long before I'd consider a Bear Creek. That's saying something.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Any of you guys, besides 79s go to AR shoots or the like? So maybe you can share some of your experience on what you've seen. I know rost has shot the hell out of these, and some supposed camp perry guys here..
You know I do. All my friends are Service Rifle knuckledraggers. We are all sporting 4.5x scopes and lots of UBR stocks.
I've shot with some high master class shooters at my club. They come from the big city, but their rifles are no where near what the oldschool M16 looked like. They look more like a space gun to me. Very heavy long barrels with aperture sights in the front and even magnified rear apertures. Those guys shoot well enough, but it only forces me to pull my noveske out. Boy oh boy, talk about sniveling. Those guys hate getting beat..
That's exactly what we call those rifles, "space guns". In HP that's Match Rifle class. Ineligible for Leg Points. Lot of guys go to them once they've got their Distinguished Badge. The sights are easier to use for old guys than A2 sights. Now that scopes are legal, most guys are sticking with Service Rifle.

Thanks Tyrone. I know you are a shooter. When those guys come to my club, I admire their rifles. They are very spendy. They do shoot well too. Those guys are used to shooting them at 600+ yards too. Mainly at Douglas Ridge in Estecada Oregon. You've probably never heard of that place. I feel bad about bad mouthing them because they are good shooters. They are just used to their clubs rules and NRA sanctioned events. I'll rattle their cages though and you know that is all part of the game. Get in their head kind of thing. I'm used to that from when I shot for money, at different trap clubs in Oregon. Half of it is a head game. Some of these guys here that don't compete, don't know that. I don't know what the OP is going to decide, but I'm wondering how many guys have experience with the Aero Precision uppers?

Like I said earlier, one of my buddies uses a 308 Aero precision with ballistic advantage barrel and that damn thing shoots great. Even with irons. He's a retired Airborne Ranger and knows how to shoot. He keeps me on my toes. Anyone else here use one??? That and the Windham are probably the one's I'd suggest. On another note, I had a really nice pre ban Bushy in my hands today. My buddy uses one of those and it shoots very well. Would it be worth looking for an older Colt or Bushmaster??? Or are some of the newer manufactures just as good, or better? Or what about the new Colts???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I thought about looking for an older HBAR upper from Colt. Sky high when they can be found.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
My results yesterday with my M-16 upper. One hundred yard groups: Seemed like more vertical spreading than horizontal for what it’s worth.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could easily be bench technique, setup.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I have been known to have excessive operator headspace occasionally

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ARs aren't the easiest guns to shoot off a benchrest. The sloping stock makes them want to porpoise which string the shots vertically. A dedicated bench gun has a straight bottomed buttstock so the gun recoils straight back.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
ARs aren't the easiest guns to shoot off a benchrest. The sloping stock makes them want to porpoise which string the shots vertically. A dedicated bench gun has a straight bottomed buttstock so the gun recoils straight back.
Makes sense. What do folks do it this case with respect to benchrest technique?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.