Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have been banned from more gun forums for posting my overload work up... than I have blown up guns.

~15 years ago there was a guy on Accurate Reloading forum that could calculate von mises stress in brass case heads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Mises_yield_criterion
His name was "a$$ clown".

When I overload a 308 case until extractor groove growth [mauser case head] Quickload would say ~72 kpsi
That agreed with his prediction, as did 223 at a higher pressure.

Man ass clown I haven’t heard that handle in a long time. He was the one that loved the 50 Beowulf??

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
I have been banned from more gun forums for posting my overload work up... than I have blown up guns.

~15 years ago there was a guy on Accurate Reloading forum that could calculate von mises stress in brass case heads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Mises_yield_criterion
His name was "a$$ clown".

When I overload a 308 case until extractor groove growth [mauser case head] Quickload would say ~72 kpsi
That agreed with his prediction, as did 223 at a higher pressure.

Man ass clown I haven’t heard that handle in a long time. He was the one that loved the 50 Beowulf??

He was resented by many.. I never understood the rivalry.. too smart, african big game, drinking.. or what.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
He was resented by many.. I never understood the rivalry.. too smart, african big game, drinking.. or what.

Some people are azzhole magnets. Every azzhole on the forum finds me eventually.

Lately, there's a whole new crop of azzholes on here. They're getting younger. Those "living in mom's basement" azzholes have started turning up here lately.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Some people are azzhole magnets. Every azzhole on the forum finds me eventually.

Lately, there's a whole new crop of azzholes on here. They're getting younger. Those "living in mom's basement" azzholes have started turning up here lately.

You should start a thread about having Rick ban all the people that don't agree with you 100% of the time... on every single topic.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by SupFoo
I'd keep adding more powder until the correct brass headstamp showed-up on the bolt face.

LOL... ya got me.

This is like the thread where a guy posted pictures of another mans buck and claims it as his.. Only more obvious. Kind of like the idiots that start at the max book loads and work up from there to "find pressure and rock on". Those guys are known for starting there and then adjusting seating depth to find accuracy too. Carry on though, is all I can say..

So posting a couple of silly and obviously "overpressure" pics... equates to Round Oak level blatant manipulation and lying?

Help me out here...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Last time I had a primer that looked like that, my extractor nearly pulled off the case rim trying to remove the casing. Might want to back off just a tad.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So, it’s settled then.

A chronograph does Not “Measure” pressure, but velocity is an “Indicator” of pressure.

Problem asovled.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Wouldn't be surprised if the bullet from that .308 round didn't hit dead center - inherent accuracy, you know. wink
It probably doubled in length too! The BC had to be through the roof.

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/03/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OK lads, see below:
L-R
Nosler 180gr AB factory load
Winchester 180 ST factory load (70s vintage)
180gr TTSX WW cases (virgin) 71gr RL-22 CCI 250 primers (max load in Barnes book)
180gr TTSX RP cases (3X loaded) same load as above.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rifle is a pre-war 70 300 H&H. My hand loads and the Nosler load shoot .75 MOA, the factory Silvertips about 1.25"

OK, first check out the primers and second, can you guess which load resulted in a hard bolt lift? All velocities under 3000fps, with the TTSXs right at 299o or so.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
OK lads, see below:
L-R
Nosler 180gr AB factory load
Winchester 180 ST factory load (70s vintage)
180gr TTSX WW cases (virgin) 71gr RL-22 CCI 250 primers (max load in Barnes book)
180gr TTSX RP cases (3X loaded) same load as above.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rifle is a pre-war 70 300 H&H. My hand loads and the Nosler load shoot .75 MOA, the factory Silvertips about 1.25"

OK, first check out the primers and second, can you guess which load resulted in a hard bolt lift? All velocities under 3000fps, with the TTSXs right at 299o or so.

What great calibers the H&Hs are... timeless excellence.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The photo is a tad blurry, so it’s hard to get a close up look at the case heads.

So no can’t guess.

Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
Mule Deer wrote an article i Handloader a few years ago on pressure and various ways we laymen interpret it. His studies have caused me to be more cautious about loading top end loads in my rifles ever since. I don’t own a chronograph and if I did it would be a huge aggravation setting it up to use without an actual bench to shoot off of for me. If I were ever to get a case extracted looking anything like what’s in those pics I’d be pulling bullets as soon as I got back to my loading bench.

When a rifle cartridge goes off, the primer is pushed backward, due to powder gas pushing through the flash-hole, so it would seem to make sense that a really flat primer indicates high pressure. Not necessarily. A really flat primer can also be caused by slightly excessive headspace.

When the firing pin hits the primer, it drives the case forward. If there’s a little slop between case and chamber, the expanding powder gas first pushes the primer backward in the primer pocket. If the pressure is low enough, as with the .30-30 Winchester, the primers will remain slightly backed out of the fired brass. This is common in ancient and well-worn .30-30 lever actions.
If the pressure is higher, however, as with the .30-06, the rear of the primer itself expands a little as it backs out, since it’s no longer supported by the primer pocket. In another micro-second the case itself is thrust back over the slightly expanded primer.

At the same time, the case stretches a little bit, so the handloader also finds a shiny ring a half-inch in front of the case head. Our innocent handloader now sees what he thinks are two signs of high pressure, when in reality the only problem is oversizing the case.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/mistakes-and-misconceptions

Your REM brass may have less case capacity than the others

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It does...and the fact it was reloaded a few times in a cartridge notorious for short case life (it was also trimmed). The wonderful thing about this cartridge is it shoots EVERYTHING 180-200 to just about POI..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
bump

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How many thousands are you bumping your shoulders back

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
There was an article about reading primer pockets being bunk a ways back...

I will say this though... that brass transfer oughta keep your bolt face from pitting due to Rust...

I believe that was primarily about false negatives, i.e., when there are "no pressure signs" but there actually was high pressure.
eggcellent Memory mathman.... and logically sound too!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I do not recall the bump back in thousands. but I am going to try with a Lee Collect (neck only) and see what happens.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I always thought black holes sucked in grsvitational bodies... not that gravitational bodies attracted black holes... but I am no expert on the attractive forces of black holes or any holes for that matter...
in fact were you to judge me by my golf game you would observe an apparent strong aversion to holes....

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I do not recall the bump back in thousands. but I am going to try with a Lee Collect (neck only) and see what happens.
I’m not a big fan of neck sizing only.

I prefer to size with a Redding body die for a slight “crush” fit, then finish with the Lee collet die.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.