Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ships through tattoos.

1,800 hours to weave a greased woolen sail such that the sail was worth more than the ship. Cordage made from blue whale baleen, ropes of sealskin.

Gruff has prob’ly already seen it.

A bit weak on battle tactics tho. Claims combat between individuals could last “no more than an hour” (??) I believe skilled reenactors have found that more like seconds, minutes tops. I believe when they staged melee s with broadswords and targes (shields) Scottish Highlander reenacting units well versed in fencing have found that almost everyone is dead inside of two minutes 🙂

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 02/03/23.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
👍

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
they need to spend a little more on their defencive line,,, I like the stand they make saying they hate Green bay so much they refuse to win a Lombardi trophy,,

I AM AMERICA!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Interesting that they put so much value on whetstones. I can relate. I've got three that stay on the windowsill beside my chair. One is a silicon carbide stone that's not particularly coarse. But it will lay down an edge quick. I use it when I'm putting my angle on a new knife. Then I've got a typical Arkansas stone on a cedar base that is a general purpose stone. When I'm feeling motivated, I'll finish up an edge with an extra fine Arkansas stone that I've had for decades.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like a cool video. Thanks for posting it.

MAGA
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Viking tech: Loot, *then* burn.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe thinking that dying with your weapon in your hand got you into heaven gave them some extra oomph. Shortly after that, they knew the error of their beliefs. They really shouldn't have killed all those priests.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I haven’t seen the videoyet, but a buddy was telling me that they found a stone in a grave in Norway with runes carved in it that if accurately placed puts it centuries before previously known runic inscriptions.

I don’t even qualify as an amateur in the field, just an interested reader/watcher/whatever. But it never made sense to me even as a kid that a people that could navigate the oceans and seas, put masts in their boats, pattern weld steel etc didn’t discover a way to put thoughts to words via a written language?

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Maybe thinking that dying with your weapon in your hand got you into heaven gave them some extra oomph. Shortly after that, they knew the error of their beliefs. They really shouldn't have killed all those priests.

They should’ve let the priests rape their sons, and sacrificed all they worked for to enrich the coffers of the monasteries? Let the pederasts in the church guide their leaders? Given a choice I’d take Northern European paganism over Catholicism 10 out of 10 times.

MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
But it never made sense to me even as a kid that a people that could navigate the oceans and seas, put masts in their boats, pattern weld steel etc didn’t discover a way to put thoughts to words via a written language?

Ta have an accepted written language, ya gotta have consensus, over a wide strata of people.

Look at the 'fire: Covtards, liberals, losers and wizards, never pointin in the same direction.

There probably were many more written languages than will ever be known, but they were confined to a small area, where the interpretation was agreed upon.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It was Kutenay (whom I believe is posting as Otto1217 now) who cued me onto Gwynn Jones definitive tome “A History of the Vikings”…

https://www.amazon.com/History-Viki...gwyn+jones&qid=1675477088&sr=8-1

Not often mentioned as Jones does is why did the Viking Era end?

Turns out in Western Europe at least everybody else caught up, at least in combat proficiency. Having been raised in England as I was the Battle of Stamford Bridge (1066) when Vikings under Harold Hardraada were defeated by a Saxon force under King Harold Godwinson is widely recognized as a swan song of the Vikings in England.

To claim that William the Bastard out of Normandy (AKA William the Conquerer) launched the last Viking invasion that same year as the video does is a bit of a stretch.

Sure the Normans were Frenchified Vikings but they had changed a lot from their Viking forbearers, replacing Saxon law with classic Medieval feudalism ergo setting back the rise of English civilization Centuries.

Even in backwards retrograde Celtic Ireland the Viking enclaves on the coasts were reduced to vassal states who, strangely enough, if the genetic analysis of “The Blood of the Isles” is to be believed, left surprisingly little of their DNA behind in modern Ireland.

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Isles-...+the+isles&qid=1675479090&sr=8-1

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I heard one time their demise was account of them converting to Christian religion

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
122 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,835 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.