-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Why would the Chinese government be flying a large stratospheric balloon?
It is possible that the balloon's flight termination system failed.
ERIC BERGER - 2/3/2023 | Ars Technica

"The balloon's flight raises several questions—such as, just what the heck is it doing there? This story will address what is known and not known about the flight. The information below is based on public statements, other news reports, and an interview with a stratospheric balloon expert, Andrew Antonio, whose company, Urban Sky, is developing the world’s first reusable stratospheric balloons for remote sensing."

[Eric Berger is the senior space editor at Ars Technica, covering everything from astronomy to private space to NASA, and author of the book Liftoff, about the rise of SpaceX. A certified meteorologist, Eric lives in Houston.]

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...be-flying-a-large-stratospheric-balloon/

"Someone who works on Chinese balloon flight termination systems is probably having a bad week." grin
https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1621625588032180225

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by RAM
Monitoring ? Shoot it down.

With what??? 50cal.? Bigger, smaller?? Missile??

Where are the bullets/missile debris going after they pass through the balloon??? Everywhere you point to shoot has an unsafe backstop.....

Back in the 80's, whilst I was working at Miami ARTCC, an air traffic facility, the balloon/small blimp that was tethered over Cudjoe Key slipped it's mooring and went drifting across the gulf trailing a MILE or so of tether.....

A concerned boater decided to rescue same and tied it off to his boat...... well this was early in the day, and as the sun warmed things up the balloon became more buoyant, lifted the boat out of the water, dumped all occupants into the gulf, and proceeded to drift across the gulf once again...

What to do??

Scamble jets out of homestead......

they chose a missile, problem solved
!

The balloon is at 60,000 ft. I don't believe there are any jets out of Homestead that can get anywhere close to that height.

Particularly now, since Homestead is a race track...................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It just got blown up.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
It just got blown up.
Huh?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
It just got blown up.

What?

Meanwhile 2nd balloon confirmed... no word about the suspected 2nd (or 3rd?) balloon over Canada?

OAN Geraldyn Berry
UPDATED 5:06 PM PT – Friday, February 3, 2023

A second Chinese spy balloon has reportedly been spotted in Latin America.

On Friday evening, the Pentagon confirmed this news. Pentagon Press Secretary Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder made a statement to CNN.

“We are seeing reports of a balloon transiting Latin America. We now assess it is another Chinese surveillance balloon,” Ryder said.

This comes as a balloon was spotted moving east, 60,000 feet above the central continental U.S., last Friday.

Initially, the Pentagon had said the balloon currently did not pose a “military or political” threat.

According to a senior defense official, the United States has “extremely high confidence” that the object was a Chinese high-altitude balloon that was flying over key locations to gather intelligence. One of the states where the balloon was noticed was Montana, which is home to Malmstrom Air Force Base, one of the country’s three nuclear missile silo fields.

Ryder has said that the U.S. took steps to ensure it did not collect sensitive information.

45th President Donald Trump and other Republicans are criticizing President Joe Biden’s administration for not knocking the suspected Chinese surveillance balloon out of the sky.

On Friday, a Pentagon representative said that the eavesdropping abilities of the balloon are no more advanced than those of China’s existing low-Earth orbit surveillance satellites. It was claimed that bringing the balloon down would produce a “substantial” amount of debris, which may harm or kill people on the ground.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
No conspiracy's about how it is spreading bacteria and virus' all over the U.S. to wipe out our food supplies or to cause the next pandemic or two?

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just went out for a cigarette, looked up and saw the moon, then had to take a double take to make sure it was the moon and not a surveillance balloon.

Shoot the f'ing thing down and tax the hell out of China, end all trade agreements let them starve, before its too late.

Our leaders are brain damaged!

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/03/23.

KB

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Supposedly there's a report of an explosion after a jet flew by and the balloon is now gone in a smoke trail.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Greyghost
No conspiracy's about how it is spreading bacteria and virus' all over the U.S. to wipe out our food supplies or to cause the next pandemic or two?

Phil

Why would you care? You got the bitch jab and are going to be in the dirt soon anyways.

MAGA
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
The balloon is at 60,000 ft. I don't believe there are any jets out of Homestead that can get anywhere close to that height.
The Us and Russia botrh broke 90,000 feet prior to 1960. The Us with the F104, Russia with the SU9. The rocket assisted JF104 broke 120,000 feet altitude. The F15 can "zoom" to 90,000. The F16 nearly makes it.

No, a stationary (or neaqrly so) target at 60,000 feet is no challenge.

Heck, we have SAMs which are claimed to be capable of 130,000 feet.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd like to contribute something, but the subject is way over my head,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The bigfoot really made this one. LOLOLOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/quote]

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The bigfoot really made this one. LOLOLOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[/quote]

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I'd like to contribute something, but the subject is way over my head,
Good one.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That's odd.... I read that it is now over MO near a B 1 Bomber base? Whoever the Pentagon spokes person is comes across as a total weasel. Not very reassuring.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

That's odd.... I read that it is now over MO near a B 1 Bomber base? Whoever the Pentagon spokes person is comes across as a total weasel. Not very reassuring.

Just mooned it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Update, Tucker thinks the Pentagon guy is a total weasel too. The balloon is down to 47000 feet and a airliner almost hit it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perfect EMP delivery device... we had no clue until it was overhead... WTF?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.