Print Thread
Hop To
J
JoeBob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
A 1911 was my first centerfire pistol more than 30 years ago. I’ve been shooting them a long time. But strangely by the time I actually started carrying a pistol, I went to other things. I’ve carried small revolvers and various compact and subcompact automatics. Well, lately on a whim I started playing with a full sized Kimber 1911 I hadn’t messed with in a long time. And on a lark I started carrying it.

Holy schit! I find the 1911 to be the best carrying pistol I’ve ever used. Even a full sized one just melts into your body. That ultra thin slide is just made for slipping IWB or even under a belt. It’s really really comfortable. And frankly, I’ve never felt all that good about carrying one in the chamber on a Glock or something like that but with a grip safety and a regular safety I have no concerns with the 1911.

Anyway, it feels weird to just now be realizing this since I have and shot 1911s for so long, but it is what it is. Make fun if you like.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/04/23.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Over 30 years of pretty much only carrying a 1911. A quality IWB holster and belt will allow you to almost forget the gun is on your hip. The weight is something you’ll notice less and less. My Kramer IWB#2 is at least 30 years old now and still works just fine. It’s becoming more soft, especially the tab that keeps the thumb safety out of my fat roll. I have a new replacement ordered and should get shipped anytime. 12-14 week delivery but worth it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lightweight Commander is easier to carry than a Glock 19 or M&P 2.0 Compact. I don't much like packing a full size 5" steel frame 1911.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
A lightweight Commander is easier to carry than a Glock 19 or M&P 2.0 Compact. I don't much like packing a full size 5" steel frame 1911.

Completely agree; in fact carrying a LW Commander sized gun IWB, in the right holster is very comfortable & access is easier than on the hip in any position................so long as you have the right cover garment. And you don't get any bulge at all in IWB.

I'm always more accurate shooting a 1911 than anything else other than my match 22.

It was also my 1st pistol when I got into shooting.

MM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nothing weird about it. My first semi auto handgun was a Colt Goldcup. That was 1984 when I turned 21. I've owned 1911's ever since then and wouldn't be without one.

I collect expensive hobbies.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've been carrying since 1980, and the 1911 has always been in the rotation. I've gone several periods of years carrying nothing else, and for precisely the reasons you state. They make great daily carry guns, and in a proper IWB holster and belt, you will soon forget you're carrying a gun.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Colt Wiley Clapp Commander in the city. Colt Gold Cup trophy on the spread. Colt Delta Elite on long Rides in the truck.
Rotate other 1911's sometimes at barbeques.

My muscle memory is fixed on 1911's. That helps.

Of course the Browning Hi Power slips in most of the same holsters. Rides along in the truck also.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hikerbum

Very nice. I still carry one. Lightweight commander or 5" steel. OWB mid height and tight works for me. AIWB with the commander sometimes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by MOGC

Completely agree; in fact carrying a LW Commander sized gun AIWB, in the right holster is very comfortable & access is easier than on the hip in any position................so long as you have the right cover garment. And you don't get any bulge at all in AIWB.

I'm always more accurate shooting a 1911 than anything else other than my match 22.

It was also my 1st pistol when I got into shooting.

MM

Edited to clarify, I am carrying AIWB

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You'll shoot your junk off, kid.

[Linked Image from static.wikia.nocookie.net]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Gibby
Colt Wiley Clapp Commander in the city. Colt Gold Cup trophy on the spread. Colt Delta Elite on long Rides in the truck.
Rotate other 1911's sometimes at barbeques.

My muscle memory is fixed on 1911's. That helps.

Of course the Browning Hi Power slips in most of the same holsters. Rides along in the truck also.

How do you get the 1911 to stay on the barbeque rotator?

My tastes run
Full size 1911 in alloy frame adds a bit flavor, especially when salted with Lehigh Xtreme Defense..
Or go with more pork weight with a Sig Nightmare in 357 Sig.
Or if your counting calories, a Kimber Aegis II in 9mm at 24 oz.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You'll shoot your junk off, kid.

[Linked Image from static.wikia.nocookie.net]

Ahh ain't sheer't................got 2 safeties & common sense.

MM

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Very nice. Would you mind talking about the gun? Is the grip frame color casehardened?

Elmer Keith
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

Very nice. Would you mind talking about the gun? Is the grip frame color casehardened?

Yes CCH. Made by Turnbull, absolutely the most accurate handgun I have ever seen. Fit and finish perfect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yes CCH. Made by Turnbull, absolutely the most accurate handgun I have ever seen. Fit and finish perfect.

Turnbull does some great bluing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jeeper

Turnbull does some great metalwork, besides the great blueing & coloring........................at some real BIG prices too. Friend has a couple of their reworked guns............truly works of art.

Beautiful 1911, HB.

MM

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jeeper

Turnbull does some great metalwork, besides the great blueing & coloring........................at some real BIG prices too. Friend has a couple of their reworked guns............truly works of art.

Beautiful 1911, HB.

MM

Their prices are for the quality you get.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Turnbull currently does a lot of work on Nighthawk 1911’s. Here is an example. Turnbull has also done work for Kimber, Remington, and I believe Wilson Combat

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (14idaho, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 25 invisible), 1,737 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,207
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.