Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18097732 02/04/23
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What is the general consensus when it comes to Lee Dies for loading hunting ammo used < 500yds? If you say they're junk, please post the basis for your opinion.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

HR IC

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
They work. I have a couple sets. Edk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't own any Lee loading dies but I do own a number of Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Dies. The only thing I find cheesy about them is the cheap locking rings which I replaced. Other then that I have no problem with their dies, it's the other Lee equipment that turned me off to their products.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I use their collet neck sizing dies quite a bit. Before putting them into service I disassemble them and give them a careful examination. There can be a burr that needs removing, a wear surface that needs polishing, et cetera.

In my examples their regular FL sizing dies are on the tight side, particularly the neck section. They work the brass more than I'd prefer in most circumstances. They do have a nicely shaped expander mandrel in them, but IMO it needs better surface hardening or a harder base material.

Sometimes the little seating plug in the seating die needs work like heavy deburring to interface correctly with the bullet ogives. Sometimes they need to be replaced entirely because of poor machining. After all, we are trying to seat bullets straight.

My take is they're made with a heavy emphasis on economy, so tight QC, attention to detail and the best materials are not going to be found in their reloading gear as it will in gear from places like 21st Century, Harrell's and the like.

With Lee you'll sometimes need to be able to go under the hood and do a tune up.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have collet dies in most popular cartridges, I really like them, they compete easily with Bonanza Forster dies for low runout ammo. Huge fan of the Lee Factory Crimp dies. Most Lee products come in at less than a third of the competitors price, if I have to do a little polishing or tweaking here or there occasionally, I'm happy with that.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
After reading Mathman's post, there isn't much more that needs to be said, except to emphasize that their collet dies do work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been using them for over 20 years.

It's what everyone used when I was growing up, they never had issues so it's what I typically order. Have others because that's what was available when I bought whatever was available for a new cartridge.

Most of my dies are Lee and my turret press is an old Lee 3 hole press.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their collet dies & crimp dies (both rifle & pistol) work for me; that really all the Lee dies that I use.

Interesting comment from mathman about the tighter sizing, especially in the necks.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t own any Lee dies so I can’t compare

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Most of my dies are Lee. The belling/expander and factory crimp dies are top notch, but as mathman stated, the sizers and especially seaters are definitely not on par with the higher tier brands. If you are a real burr up the azz type stickler for seating depth consistency, Lee are not the dies for you.

Make sure you clean them out before you use them, because metal dust/shavings are fairly common. I've gotten a couple dud dies right out of the box over the years, but they've replaced them with no hassle both times.

I'm not a long range or match shooter, so they're fine for my purposes. 🤷‍♂️

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Long time user of their collet dies. Love 'em.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have almost every kind of sets of dies, including Herters and several custom dies. On cartridges I don't load much, many are Lee (too many). Most of my dies are RCBS. I like RCBS because their customer service is the best, IMO.

The set of Lee dies for 30-30 - I really do not like! I'll be replacing them with RCBS. The expander in these dies is over-sized and I size my cases with the expander in, set way below the body of the die, but do not touch the brass with the outside part of the die. Then I push the brass with the expander out and size the brass by pushing the brass into the die. I do it this way so the stretching is minimized. I seriously doubt I will ever by another set of Lee dies, I mostly bought them because they were cheap and I had little money. Now, it seems they are not so cheap.

Another thing I dislike about Lee dies is how the expander stem has to be firmly tightened or they often push up and when they do, the expander is into the compression portion of the body of the die. If I don't notice, (which I notice almost every time) the brass is ruined.

Mark me down as a Lee die disliker! If I bought a rifle in a new cartridge and Lee was the only die I could find. I would buy the Lee dies and use them until I could find a better set of dies.

Last edited by Bugger; 02/07/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've at least had satisfactory results with Lee dies. In 35 Remington I had both Redding and Lee full length die sets. Just for giggles i loaded handloads with both sets and carefully examined the results. I was unable to discern any significant differences with dial calipers, and both performed equally well. Eventually I sold the Lee dies and kept the Redding brand. I have one other set of Lee dies that I use and I have no complaints with them. They've been good dies in my experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had good results with the collet dies for my Enfields and their less expensive RGB "really great buy" dies have worked fine for other open sighted milsurps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I been shooting with some guys that used Lee dies. They made some really accurate ammo.
That being said I prefer Forster for rifles and Redding for handguns. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lee dies are great!

For me, the VALUE box is smaller than the PRICE box for the "elite" devices.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had satisfactory results, but I find on the dies I have the expander plug is too short and you really have to crank down on the top nut of the FL die so the decapping rod stays in place. Plus if you bend the pin, you have to replace the entire rod.

I guess you get what you pay for though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have had satisfactory results, but I find on the dies I have the expander plug is too short and you really have to crank down on the top nut of the FL die so the decapping rod stays in place. Plus if you bend the pin, you have to replace the entire rod.

I guess you get what you pay for though.

Could part of the problem be the expander is having to go back out of a neck that has been sized down a good bit more than necessary? Have you ever measured a neck sized without the expander in place so you can see how much work the expander is having to do?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I reload hunting rifles only and the collet die gives me better accuracy than standard RCBS and Lee dies.

Go Ahead And Backup
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I use them quite a bit. However, if I have a question, or problem, I just stop in and ask. I live 20 miles from Lee, Bartlein and Kreiger barrels. Kind of nice just stopping in .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
150 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.