-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Born and raised in Minnesota, lived within 30 miles of the home place. After retiring needed to get away from the cold winters and land of 10,000 taxes. Go back for the summer. Kids are in Texas and Florida.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Born and raised in this area. Military moved me out and ended up in AK for 18 years as a civilian.

Moved back to MI in 2013 due to my parents. Still regret the move. We are discussing where we want to move to after the family ties are no longer there

Do you not get along with your parents?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jar
Was raised here , my dad was an avid houndsman , big time outdoorsman , have chased hounds over most of this countryside all my life, moved away right outa high school gone for 1 1/2yrs could not get back soon enough. I live less than 2 miles from the homestead ! My soul lives here !
Running hounds or coon hounds?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Am not here by choice, but moved here to help family as Pa was sick and brother in law was getting worse with MS and his kids were still young and in school, so having an extra hand for farmwork or emergencies was handy. Now looking after my Ma, as it is my job as the eldest with no encumbrances. I would much rather be on ski patrol in the high country right now!

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I was given a 5 acre patch and been buying around it for years up to 65 acres now

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I was lucky enough to get Montana under my fingernails in the 70's because an uncle lived here and invited me to fish and hunt with him. Worked summers here during the 80's, went back to school here in 90's when it was cheaper than paying resident tuition on the coast. Lucky (and maybe stubborn) enough to get a job in wildlife and marry a native. I can hunt forest grouse, deer and elk, and annoy the trout anytime I want within minutes of my front door. Luckily I got here when homeownership was still affordable for the middle class.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nahma_mich
Born in the U.P. , parents moved us to Chitcago when I was ten. Job moved me to Georgia when I was 38. Retired now but wife still works and just accepted a job in Appleton, Wi. Looks like we'll be moving there in the spring. With any luck
maybe move back to the U.P. when she decides to retire for good.

Our deer camp is in Nahma. Love it there in the UP. Best Smoked whitefish dip I've ever had in Nahma inn.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I moved to Arizona almost 20 years ago to get away from Michigan winters and politics. Still love the climate but the politics are about the same as what I left. Sad.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Born 1958 in Nurnberg, West Germany. Came stateside in 1959 & settled in Deer Park, Tx as my family all lived in Houston metroplex. One thing I appreciate concerning the climate, My vehicles don't rust due to salted roads.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Born and raised here. Met my wife here and raised my kids here. Youngest is a freshman in HS & grandson is starting kindergarten next year.

Been caring for my mother in law who lives right up the street and was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s & dementia and we’ve been caring for her doing whatever we can to keep her out of an institution.

Once she is gone I’ll still be here tho many in another house.

Lotsa public land with good hunting, blue ribbon trout streams, great fishing in lakes rivers and streams tough place to beat.

Broader politics suck.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Because I can, and I worked hard to be able to do so. Was born on family farm in PA, dad moved us to OH when I was in middle school. My folks had lived for a couple years in Cascade ID before I was born so I grew up hearing about it. And dreaming about it. Finally saw the Rocky’s on a family trip when I was 12. Started working ranches in the summer in MT as a teen, and found that it truly was all I had dreamed of. Never wanted to see the world, but wanted to see enough to decide where to settle before I had kids. Worked a couple states in the mountain west, worked a summer living in a wall tent near Healy AK. Then reached all the goals I’d set for myself and married a pretty girl, had a son and made our home in the bitterroot here in MT. Wanted a life above the poverty line for my wife and kids so chose a career that let me do so and that took me to a whole different and beautiful part of the country, and slowly worked my way back here.

I stay because of the people, politics, and opportunity to live my life as I see fit. At least as much as a man can in this day and age.

I have family both blood and in-laws that live where the family lineage goes back further than reliable records. Sometimes I wonder if I should’ve done the same, but I was born with itchy feet, and as the second son in any prior century I would’ve had to make my own way anyways. I have plenty of regrets, but none in respect to where I chose to live.

MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Choice for both places.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought this place for three main reasons.
1. It is in the middle of a 20 miles radius from the larger cities that I get calls for my skills.
2. It is far enough off the main trek that it is peaceful and quiet with no neighbors in ½ distance.
3. This area is not known for out of control drug use. there are a couple crackheads/meth heads in the general area but I've made myself known as the kind of old man that will shoot your àss if you come snooping around. Only issue was when I first move out here about 12 yrs ago. Had a gas thief but I quickly took care of that.

Quiet, peaceful, everything paid for except the yearly government Rent payment (property tax) for giving me the privilege of squatting on THEIR land!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Born in the area. Stayed because of jobs. Can live anywhere now. Stay because of family, friends and church. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Born and raised. It's time to go. I pray that everything comes together concerning our plan. It's time to go.

Last edited by Nollij; 02/04/23.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm the 4th generation on my farm. Doing my best to have one of my kids make it the 5th. It's a hard life but rewarding.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Because of inertia - A body at rest.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I managed to experience living in 10 states and 6 foreign countries, courtesy of 8 years in the USAF. Now I live 80 miles from where my Scot/Irish ancestors arrived in the 1820's, and right in the middle of the area my Cherokee kin occupied for centuries before that. It feels like home.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was born in Las Vegas, a fifth generation Nevadan. We moved a lot growing up due to my fathers occupation; Minot North Dakota, Cedar City and Salt Lake City Utah, Tempe and Tucson Arizona, Arvada Colorado. Spent the most time in SLC where I met and married and had my daughter and son.
I was a general contractor and when the building bust of the late ‘80s hit in Utah, I decided to return to Vegas where construction was booming and I still had a lot of relatives.
Economically, it was the best move I ever made. The roots have spread and there is no leaving now.
I love the desert and Nevada’s wide open spaces.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by NVhntr; 02/04/23.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Born and raised in Northern Vermont. My whole family still lives here other than a brother who moved to Virginia for work. Just before i retired I bought a lake shore home on an Island on Lake Champlain. Good deer and turkey hunting here on the island and the fishing is fantastic.

living the good life every day
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,078
Posts18,463,841
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.