Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Powder is tough stuff and can handle the vibration of a case cleaner without degradation. Heard this from someone who works at Hodgdon. I also came across very old and corroded 351 winchester self loading ammo. Tumbled it clean without issue. I've also Tumbled 9mm ammo over night for at least 8 hours and then pulled the bullet. The powder suffered no ill effects and looked the same. Also no powder dust in the bottom of the case.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve done it without issue. I wouldn’t tumble it too much but if you don’t get obsessive you should be fine.
what's too much ?
Enough to mess with the coating they use to control burn rate.
One test that I saw from a ballistitian was a 12 hour period with no loss of velocity between a tumbled batch an untumbled batch of ammo from the same lot that he had loaded .
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I did come across this..

Tumble live ammo Tumbler O' thruth EXTREME edition, 200hour torture test**UPDATE**fired rounds in OP - AR15.COM

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Have done it by accident

Live got mixed up with empties

Or even more common 22 LR ammo mixed with empty brass

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of course we all (should) lube brass before resizing.
After loading, I inspect each round and wipe it down with a soft, dry, cotton cloth.
You can still feel a bit of lube on the case, but I leave it for protection from corrosion.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Are you tumbling the fired brass before reloading and then tumbling a second time?

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by blairvt
For the guys tumbling to get the lube off. Why not just wipe it with a rag with some mineral spirits or such on it?

Ditto. I've always heard that tumbling live rounds leads to fragmentation of powder, which leads to faster burning, but that could be wrong. Whatever, I won't trust what the internet says, I'd experiment with a few rounds containing the exact powder I use. (And when I say "experiment," that doesn't mean tumbling and shooting to see if I blow my head off. I mean tumbling and then pulling the bullets to see what happened to the powder.)

Last edited by Wyodogger; 02/01/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Prairie dogs are out and about a couple of weeks ago???

Polar dawgs?

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/01/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
prairie dogs around here pop out any time in the winter when the weather is nice and sunny. They'll be skittish, but a guy can still get a little shootin' in.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Are you tumbling the fired brass before reloading and then tumbling a second time?
well I asked this question more because it's still controversial and never seems settled and if you research the internet you find both answers immediately. kind of wanting someone to chime in that maybe knows of an actual more of a laboratory type test to see if still holds true. maybe you find so much with answers both ways because of different types of powder I don't know.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did an article on this many years ago. Here was the gist:

I spoke to the Chief Ballistic Scientist at Hornady Manufacturing and the Head Ballistician at Hodgdon Powder and asked for their professional opinions. Both agreed that this is a myth devoid of empirical data.

"Powder is hard, it doesn’t change shape from any reasonable amount of vibration,” said Hornady’s Dave Emary. “This notion that you can wear deterrent off of the surface of the powder is a myth, it is impregnated into the powder grains. You can’t knock this stuff off."

Both scientists felt that tumbling was a safe practice within the bounds of reason.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I did an article on this many years ago. Here was the gist:

I spoke to the Chief Ballistic Scientist at Hornady Manufacturing and the Head Ballistician at Hodgdon Powder and asked for their professional opinions. Both agreed that this is a myth devoid of empirical data.

"Powder is hard, it doesn’t change shape from any reasonable amount of vibration,” said Hornady’s Dave Emary. “This notion that you can wear deterrent off of the surface of the powder is a myth, it is impregnated into the powder grains. You can’t knock this stuff off."

Both scientists felt that tumbling was a safe practice within the bounds of reason.
excellent ..
now I guess the real question is can a primer be set off accidentally by vibration

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Wonder if 1/2 hour in a vibratory cleaner would be worse for it than riding in a truck from a factory in Arkansas or Missouri? Or a ship from Korea or Europe?

Exactly. I discussed this "issue" with a powder company's tech guy some years ago, and this is what he brought up--along with batches riding long distances in railroad cars. Might have even been the guy at Hodgdon that Woodhits mentions....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It's my understanding that Mike Dillon always cleaned the hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of rounds he loaded for his own fun and games in vibratory cleaners. Guess he would have stopped somewhere along the way if it had caused problems.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Tumbling live ammo will degrade the powder and cause dangerous changes in the burn rate."

This seems to be another long lived reloading urban legend that is often repeated, even by respectable sources. It ignores the fact that ammo gets jostled around more in military Humvee's or your standard pickup on rough dirt roads than it does in a tumbler.

Rather than simply accept it as gospel, a few individuals from the website The High Road actually put this to the test more than 10 years ago. They loaded batches of ammo with different powder types (ball, flake, etc) and tumbled 1/2 the batch of ammo for 48 hours in a vibratory tumbler.

They then broke down some rounds from both the untumbled control group ammo and the tumbled ammo. They took close-up pictures of the powder and saw zero signs of powder breakdown (no powder "dust", no degradation to the granules). Then, they chronographed rounds from both groups and found no statistical difference in velocity.

Tumbling loaded ammo had zero net affect on power appearance or ammo function.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...ults-from-tumbling-loaded-rounds.498890/

I don't personally tumble live ammo as I don't really see the need, but there is no harm in doing so (except in peoples minds).

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Somebody just gave me some 22 LR that they tumbled. It came out clean

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I learn something every day.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why the need for tumbling loaded ammo in the first place? When I load ammo, the brass is tumbled if it is dirty, then lubed and sized and tumbled again to remove lube. After that, I see no reason or need to tumble again up to and including you now have finished ammo. Am I missing something?
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Why the need for tumbling loaded ammo in the first place? When I load ammo, the brass is tumbled if it is dirty, then lubed and sized and tumbled again to remove lube. After that, I see no reason or need to tumble again up to and including you now have finished ammo. Am I missing something?
PJ
if you research it it's quite a controversial subject. I was kind of interested in what a few of the more knowledgeable people had to say..

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have tumbled old ammo to get it clean. It also cleans up an exposed lead tip making it pointy again. I have done it quite a bit. I purchased some OLD 303 Savage ammo that was decades old and was dirty. It cleaned up pretty good too.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.