Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I have never been to the SCI convention before but since it’s only a couple hours from me this year I’m gonna go.

My question is about pricing for anyone that has been before. Am I understanding correctly that it is $140 per person per day just to walk around the show? Also can I bring guest or will everyone have to become a member to go in with me (my wife and a couple of my friends are interested in possibly going).

I have tried calling the number they have in there site and every time it goes to an automated lady about buying life alert.

Thanks for any help

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I don't believe that you have to be a member to attend-- my wife has gone with me and she's never been a member. Yes, it's expensive but it's a good show.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I thought about driving down and taking my son but got sticker shocked. It’s my understanding it is a $140 for a one day pass. I couldn’t find what age they consider a youth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was here in Reno for a number of years, and it was expensive to get in. Everyone needed to pay as I recall, except for already existing members.

It's worth it once. I made enough friends and booked for some, so I got passes after the first year. I stored the booths for several outfits out here on my place in my cargo container, and the outfitters came and got them, or I helped deliver and set them up the next year.

It takes three days to do it justice. Plan on at least two.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for all the reply’s so far. I’ll go for one day but can’t really justify paying for multiple days for multiple people. Ill just have to walk fast!

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
So you have to pay to walk past exhibits and people who are trying to sell YOU stuff????

Easy pass

Edit
Don’t get your feelers hurt, it’s just my opinion.

Last edited by JeffP; 02/04/23.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JeffP
So you have to pay to walk past exhibits and people who are trying to sell YOU stuff????

Easy pass

Edit
Don’t get your feelers hurt, it’s just my opinion.

It's how they keep the riff raff out.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SCI is not nearly what it used to be....................

I'd skip it unless there's really a compelling reason for you to go...............like seriously looking to book a hunt & meet someone specific.

JMHO

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes you have to be a member to attend. You can buy a one year membership at the door.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Like almost everything SCI does, it's a fundraising event.

Everyone should go once.

But, to me, Nashville has all the appeal of going to Newark.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
My experience is that you cannot see "everything" in one day. Especially if you stop to chat as you're window shopping. I'm going for all 4 days and looking fwd to it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
How would you compare SCI to DSC for those that have been to both?

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX

DSC is the better experience by far.

RS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX

DSC is the better experience by far.

RS

+1 by a whole bunch.

MM

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by McCray
But, to me, Nashville has all the appeal of going to Newark.

Very well put.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went once when the convention was in Reno. It was about 6 years ago or so. As you mentioned, it was expensive. I spent about three hours there and left. I didn’t try to talk to any of the notables there because really, what am I going to discuss? I mean like “ Mr Boddington, sir, do you really think the 375 h&h is big enough for elephant?” Or, Mr Shockey, how do you manage to take so much time off from being a husband, father, guide and whatever else to make TV shows? Duhh ! Gimme a break. Sorry, but when I got out of the crowds, I breathed a sigh of relief and enjoyed the drive home. I did enjoy seeing the mounted game and seeing the custom rifles I will never be able to afford. They were beautiful! There flame on. I’m done with the negative post. I still belong to SCI !

Rolly
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I spent $25 to get into DSC because I was in town for business. It was neat to see the custom rifles and actions in person. The rest I could live without.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
By the time you buy the required membership and pay $140/day to get in (with a discount for multi day admission) you can still spend $600 to attend for 4 days. Ridiculous when compared to $100 to attend DSC. I’ve been to both multiple times. DSC is a FAR better show. SCI is all about fund raising so the Board of Directors can travel on free junkets. Dropped my membership to SCI 10 years and haven’t looked back.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
By shear accident I got to attend DSC last year and really enjoyed it. I’m hoping SCI will be just as good if not better considering the cost. It is what it is at this point as I already have the place booked to stay for the weekend!

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
They are fun to attend.I stopped going to the SCI vegas shows because I discovered that it is much more fun to spend a week in vegas without the convention.I still go to Vegas.I like that DSC is right after Christmas,it's a cold and boring time so going to Dallas and spending three days at an indoor show is not that bad.

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/06/23.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1234, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.