Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I have never been to the SCI convention before but since it’s only a couple hours from me this year I’m gonna go.

My question is about pricing for anyone that has been before. Am I understanding correctly that it is $140 per person per day just to walk around the show? Also can I bring guest or will everyone have to become a member to go in with me (my wife and a couple of my friends are interested in possibly going).

I have tried calling the number they have in there site and every time it goes to an automated lady about buying life alert.

Thanks for any help

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't believe that you have to be a member to attend-- my wife has gone with me and she's never been a member. Yes, it's expensive but it's a good show.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I thought about driving down and taking my son but got sticker shocked. It’s my understanding it is a $140 for a one day pass. I couldn’t find what age they consider a youth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was here in Reno for a number of years, and it was expensive to get in. Everyone needed to pay as I recall, except for already existing members.

It's worth it once. I made enough friends and booked for some, so I got passes after the first year. I stored the booths for several outfits out here on my place in my cargo container, and the outfitters came and got them, or I helped deliver and set them up the next year.

It takes three days to do it justice. Plan on at least two.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for all the reply’s so far. I’ll go for one day but can’t really justify paying for multiple days for multiple people. Ill just have to walk fast!

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
So you have to pay to walk past exhibits and people who are trying to sell YOU stuff????

Easy pass

Edit
Don’t get your feelers hurt, it’s just my opinion.

Last edited by JeffP; 02/04/23.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JeffP
So you have to pay to walk past exhibits and people who are trying to sell YOU stuff????

Easy pass

Edit

It's how they keep the riff raff out.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SCI is not nearly what it used to be....................

I'd skip it unless there's really a compelling reason for you to go...............like seriously looking to book a hunt & meet someone specific.

JMHO

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes you have to be a member to attend. You can buy a one year membership at the door.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Like almost everything SCI does, it's a fundraising event.

Everyone should go once.

But, to me, Nashville has all the appeal of going to Newark.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
My experience is that you cannot see "everything" in one day. Especially if you stop to chat as you're window shopping. I'm going for all 4 days and looking fwd to it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
How would you compare SCI to DSC for those that have been to both?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX

DSC is the better experience by far.

RS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RipSnort

DSC is the better experience by far.

RS

+1 by a whole bunch.

MM

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by McCray
But, to me, Nashville has all the appeal of going to Newark.

Very well put.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went once when the convention was in Reno. It was about 6 years ago or so. As you mentioned, it was expensive. I spent about three hours there and left. I didn’t try to talk to any of the notables there because really, what am I going to discuss? I mean like “ Mr Boddington, sir, do you really think the 375 h&h is big enough for elephant?” Or, Mr Shockey, how do you manage to take so much time off from being a husband, father, guide and whatever else to make TV shows? Duhh ! Gimme a break. Sorry, but when I got out of the crowds, I breathed a sigh of relief and enjoyed the drive home. I did enjoy seeing the mounted game and seeing the custom rifles I will never be able to afford. They were beautiful! There flame on. I’m done with the negative post. I still belong to SCI !

Rolly
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I spent $25 to get into DSC because I was in town for business. It was neat to see the custom rifles and actions in person. The rest I could live without.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
By the time you buy the required membership and pay $140/day to get in (with a discount for multi day admission) you can still spend $600 to attend for 4 days. Ridiculous when compared to $100 to attend DSC. I’ve been to both multiple times. DSC is a FAR better show. SCI is all about fund raising so the Board of Directors can travel on free junkets. Dropped my membership to SCI 10 years and haven’t looked back.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
By shear accident I got to attend DSC last year and really enjoyed it. I’m hoping SCI will be just as good if not better considering the cost. It is what it is at this point as I already have the place booked to stay for the weekend!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They are fun to attend.I stopped going to the SCI vegas shows because I discovered that it is much more fun to spend a week in vegas without the convention.I still go to Vegas.I like that DSC is right after Christmas,it's a cold and boring time so going to Dallas and spending three days at an indoor show is not that bad.

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/06/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I attended the SCI convention a couple times in Vegas and Reno over the years. It's something to see but gets really overwhelming with so much stuff. I'm not sure you could jog by all the booths in one day.

Go just to say you did or go with intent on looking to talk with outfitters for specific hunts.

I dropped SCI when they threw Dr. Palmer under the bus for his legal killing of "Cecil the Lion". They had a good opportunity to show they were really "First for hunters". They showed their true color, yellow, proving to be cowards.

DSC is a better organization.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SCI is larger and more hectic. DSC is more laid back and you have more time to talk to outfitters without being rushed. I’ve been to both several times. SCI is more advocacy- so it is more expensive. To have a booth at SCI you have to donate a hunt (or equivalent) to the auctions. You can get pretty good deals on some of them.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

I found DSC to be much more open and friendly. I think the entrance fee there was $10 so you saw a lot of whole families attending. There were also a number of school groups.

SCI has perhaps better seminars and was a bit larger. The crowd was older and much more "well heeled" IMHO.

I can't speak to the auctions or evening events as I passed on both. I know this year that SCI has some big name concerts in Nashville.

The goal of both is to raise money for conservation and their foundations. They differ on how they go about it.

As to SCI going to Nashville, that pleases me. I go to Las Vegas grudgingly for the SHOT Show but would rather go most anywhere else. Vegas has become expensive, somewhat dangerous, and not what it used to be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve gone to both SCI and DSC many times. I’m in Nashville today for SCI. Had dinner last night with Johnny DuPlooy. Will see Carl Van Zijl in a few minutes.

I go to see the PHs and others I’ve made friends with over the years. I enjoy both shows and thru the people I know have been introduced to many others in the industry.

The after hours dinners, drinks, shows, and fun are part of the allure.

The outright chauvinistic competition between SCI/DSC is a head scratcher. Both have the same goal and involve many of the same exhibitors. The shows are THE vehicle for so many PHs and outfitters to make a living. The shows are where the clients are.

DCi reminds me of SCI 25-30 ago in its size and scope. I long ago got tired of Las Vegas. SCI as I understand it has committed to moving their convention to Nashville and or New Orleans for the next half decade or so.

That is welcome.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not a fan at all of the SCI "look at me", "pay to play" johnson measuring contest, awards system. Also, last I checked SCI spent over half their income on their own overhead. Those numbers may be a little off but not by much.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Report from SCI first day.

Nashville seems to be a hit with the exhibitors. Show has about the usual number of booths and guides/PHs.

Exhibit hall is well laid out. Everyone I talk to is glad to out of Vegas.

Hunts are selling.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When it was here in Reno everyone complained of freezing their delicate azzes off. eek eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Day 1 at SCI. Very nice layout- much less crowded than Vegas. Got to see some old PHs. I reminisced with one- it’s been 20 years since my first Safari in Zimbabwe- my how time flies.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Went to SCI today and had a fine time. Very good crowd for Wednesday. Vendors were busy talking to potential clients and booking hunts. Overall, vendors and attendees seemed upbeat. I expect the Nashville show will be a success.

RS

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by JeffP

Easy pass

Edit

It's how they keep the riff raff out.

BOOM!!!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by hatari
Report from SCI first day.

Nashville seems to be a hit with the exhibitors. Show has about the usual number of booths and guides/PHs.

Exhibit hall is well laid out. Everyone I talk to is glad to out of Vegas.

Hunts are selling.

I didn't mind Vegas or Reno.

That said, I live in Michigan so Nashville is much easier and cheaper for my wife and I to get to. Can drive it. I hope it stays in Nashville for a while.

I just wish it was closer to the time of the DSC Convention. I know several PHs that just could not stay over in the U.S. for the time required to do both and most of those chose the DSC Convention if they had to do one or the other.

And a PH that I am a repeat client of went home after DSC because he is actually hunting with a client this week.

They should move the SCI show earlier in the year, closer to the time of the DSC show but I suspect the Nashville Convention Center was already booked until this week given that it was a new show in Nashville. Hopefully they can work to get scheduled a couple weeks earlier if they are staying in Nashville.

Last edited by Termin8r; 02/22/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Next year DSC & SCI will only be 2 weeks apart. One PH I talked to today said it was cheaper for him to fly back to Zim between shows- rather than stay in the US for 7 weeks.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
This is my first SCI convention. I have really enjoyed it so far. Have spoken with several outfitters about various hunts. Hopefully I’ll get a good deal on something and get a hunt or 2 booked before I get out of here on Saturday.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Any numbers on attendance for SCI Nashville?

Thanks, RS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Both the wife and I attended the SCI show this year. It was the third time I attended and a first for her. She really enjoyed herself. It is one of those things that everyone should see once in their life. It was nice being able to drive over in 2 hours. We decided to spend the night in Nashville as we bought 2 day passes.
Simply an enjoyable two days.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Any numbers on attendance for SCI Nashville?

Thanks, RS

I heard it was in excess of 12,000 attendees. I was there Friday & Saturday and it was very busy both days.

Got to visit with several PH’s whom I have hunts booked with and they all said business was brisk. Alan Vincent, whom I hunted Tanzania with in 2021, and will be again this August on his new area in the Selous as well as next February in Cameroon, is fully booked for Tanzania this year and next, just from this show. He said it’s been about 15 years since he was fully booked 2 years out. Booked a Zambian hunt with Johnny DuPlooy that I hadn’t planned on, but I have a very high regard for him and Laura and he had an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.

I thought Nashville was a great venue and probably SCI’s best in quite a few years. Won’t be going next year though as I’ll be packing for Cameroon when SCI is scheduled.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I went to the Thursday awards banquet dinner. I sat with a couple from northeast Wyoming who were ranchers. Peter and Caroline. Must have been big ranchers as they were both big hunters. He had been to Africa a number of times, with 5 elephants and 12 cape buffaloes. They were going back because he had room in his "buffalo corner" of his trophy room for two more. He wasn't a bragger or acted like he was filthy rich, although he probably was, ha. We swapped some stories and showed some pictures. I thought I was fortunate to be able to show him my one cape buffalo. He said before we parted that buffalo hunting gets in your blood!! One gentleman and two ladies stopped by the table and talked to them. I wasn't paying attention but I could tell that they knew them. When the trio left Peter asked if I knew the one lady. I didn't but she was Mary Cabela. They knew them for many years. So I had a great time at the dinner. Food was good and awards and auctions were OK. After that we all were able to go to the Wild horse saloon and watch Big and Rich perform. Not my kind of music to say the least but I met a fellow Flint SCI member and we watched. Had to yell to converse though.

I went to Vegas once and thought Vegas was better and bigger.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went with my wife and some friends and really enjoyed it. 2 day pass and 3 days in Nashville. Liked it much better than Vegas. Caught up with several old hunting friends and it was well worth going. Also ran into DJT Jr. Spoke to him briefly and thanked him for being open about being a reloader, shooter, and hunter. He was very nice and gracious enough to allow a pic.

I dont agree with all things SCI but they are a great and strong advocate for our hunting and shooting sports future.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For the folks in the know - who is now operating the Nyae-Nyae in Namibia? I read somewhere SMJ doesn't have it anymore?

Thanks

He went over yonder way
W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
markopolo, sent you a pm on Pete and Caroline! Small world!!

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I went Saturday and had a good time. The craftsmanship displayed by some of the vendors was breathtaking to say the least. Everyone I talked with was cordial and surprisingly down to earth.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I packed my bags Monday night and don't know why but I decided not to go. I went to DSC and just wasn't in the mood. Changed my plane ticket and was credited without penalty. Went to bed and canceled the hotel and am out only out one night stay.

My PH said it was busy, some of which was due to smaller venue and tight rows. He said that made things very difficult to visit with people (annoyingly) and said I didn't miss out on anything much.

Overall, given the limitations, he enjoyed it, had plenty of visitors and a nice change of pace from Vegas.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 03/03/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How much did it cost to attend? Say a 2 day pass. I wanted to go because it is only a 3 hour drive but just couldn't get the time.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For one day my cost was $225.00. $140 entrance fee, $65 mandatory SCI membership, $20 parking.

RS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For one day my cost was $225.00. $140 entrance fee, $65 mandatory SCI membership, $20 parking.

RS

That $140 daily fee is a farce IMO, as is the mandatory membership.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

RS

That $140 daily fee is a farce IMO, as is the mandatory membership.

Yep. Especially when you can see the same exhibitors at DSC for $25 IIRC, and you don’t have to join anything.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
219 members (2UP, 257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.