Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just about every kid I knew either had one of the Glenfield 60's or one of the bolt action Glenfield 20's when I was growing up. I remember the 60's being 49.95 and the 20's 44.95 at the Jamesway dept. store and Remington Mohawk .22's were .59 per 50 /5.90 brick.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This Mossberg is a pretty close match to the Marlin 60 and the one I shot was plenty accurate.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Originally Posted by drover
There have been over 11 million model 60's manufactured so there can't be too much wrong with them. They were a reasonably priced rifle that performed well.

drover
They were disposable. We used to buy new ones because they were cheaper than buying parts.

Prices will come back to reasonable when Ruger starts making new ones.

I doubt that Ruger will make any of the Marlin models that would compete with rifles that they already make, so none of the bolt or semi-auto rimfires, just the lever action rifles as that is a market niche that Ruger didn't have much success with when they made the Model 96s.

Nailed it !!!
Not to mention the fact that Marlin Model 60’s were never “Disposable Rifles”. 🤪

Well I have worn out a couple with only around 8 to 10K rounds through them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
There have been over 11 million model 60's manufactured so there can't be too much wrong with them. They were a reasonably priced rifle that performed well.

drover
They were disposable. We used to buy new ones because they were cheaper than buying parts.

I doubt that Ruger will make any of the Marlin models that would compete with rifles that they already make, so none of the bolt or semi-auto rimfires, just the lever action rifles as that is a market niche that Ruger didn't have much success with when they made the Model 96s.

Nailed it !!!
Not to mention the fact that Marlin Model 60’s were never “Disposable Rifles”. 🤪

What did you wear out ? I know the feed throats wear out and the buffers crack/break over time but both are easily replaceable and fairly cheap. I have several times that many rounds through my 989M2, which is basically a clip fed version of the 60. I think I've replaced the recoil buffer 3 times and the recoil spring once since 1976 and that's it. It still runs and shoots good today and I still use it frequently.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My dad bought me a used Model 60 around 1980 for $50. I put more than 50,000 rounds through that gun in my youth. Wore out 2 feed throats, broke a spring, and wore out the plastic buffer on the action rear - but that was it. I had to deep clean the crud out of the action every brick or so - when shooting the cheap PMC ammo. Remington ammo would run about 2 bricks before it needed cleaned.

They are surprisingly accurate guns.

I bought a new one in 1992 at Walmart for a little less than $100 on sale. Still have them both.

Last edited by Stammster; 12/14/22.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart

drover

Nailed it !!!

What did you wear out ? I know the feed throats wear out and the buffers crack/break over time but both are easily replaceable and fairly cheap. I have several times that many rounds through my 989M2, which is basically a clip fed version of the 60. I think I've replaced the recoil buffer 3 times and the recoil spring once since 1976 and that's it. It still runs and shoots good today and I still use it frequently.

Could have been where I was doing the shooting. Montana near Great Falls has a very fine dust. I was summer fallowing and kept the rifle in the tractor tied in an unzippped guncase for a sheath. Shot 500 rounds a week for 14 weeks. Action sort of wallowed out.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Still have a model 60 " mountain man " commemorative I got as as a kid . Thousands of rounds , countless squirrels , birds. Great guns !

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nice ones are 300-350 here too, which is just bananas to me.

Maybe it has something to do with shooters in mag ban states looking for higher capacity semi autos, and buying up the online Marlin 60's?

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My father gave my son one last year from 1982 that had never been fired, he even had an old Bushnell scope that he had bought and never mounted. I picked up a set of rings mounted the scope and was off to the range with my son. After about 10 shots it started acting weird. Got home and discovered the buffer in the back of the receiver had dry rotted and fell apart. Picked up a couple off Ebay and it's run fine ever since.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
got worried about not having a model 60 and saw that they are getting pricey, bought one from a friend last week for $140,had the original little scope, new condition, took my 7 year old grandson with me to make the purchase. The fire is lit in him as on the way home he said he wanted one of every gun made.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This Mossberg is a pretty close match to the Marlin 60 and the one I shot was plenty accurate.

Too bad that’s not a tube fed gun.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunscrew
got worried about not having a model 60 and saw that they are getting pricey, bought one from a friend last week for $140,had the original little scope, new condition, took my 7 year old grandson with me to make the purchase. The fire is lit in him as on the way home he said he wanted one of every gun made.

You stole that one.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Too bad that’s not a tube fed gun.

No matter.

The problem with a tube feed is, like a magazine, it can misfeed or fail to feed. Oftentimes, just changing a magazine in a magazine gun can improve the functionality, a cheap and easy fix. IIRC this particular gun was sold in WalMarts, and elsewhere, for about 100 bucks, in the last few years. No doubt it was a deal of deals.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Speaking of heavy barrel 10/22’s...
I should have bought that red, white, and blue Ruger “Race Gun” from Gander Mountain years ago. Some kind of U.S, Olympic team special edition, or something like that.
$700 seemed like such an extraordinary amount for a 22.
I was at a friends the other day, hanging in his shop is a red, white and blue 10/22 stock, I bet he would sell it. We were talking about stripping and dying the wood

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The prices are because Marlin doesn't exist anymore.

Ruger bought marlin and are not very likely to ever make a competitor model to their flagship 10/22

So, they likely are never going to be produced again.

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Geez back in the day I worked for Kmart Sporting goods, sold hundreds of them for $37

I can remember our local Gibson’s Discount Center, and TG&Y selling them for $49 bucks when I was in jr high. I think the Remington Nylon 66 was $59. And the Marlin 39 was like $109. And, of course, ammo for $5 a brick.

I use to mow our famed local Conn Man & LBJ Crony Bill Sol Estes’ yard back then. He’d pay me with a nice crisp fresh $100 bill. So I was n.igger rich when I’d ride my bike to Gibson’s or TG&Y to buy a gun and some Ammo. 😬
Of course, I’d have to get Mom to fill out the paper work and take the gun home.
We didn’t get a K-Mart until I was a sophomore in HS. I remember they had a decent Fishing Dept. I never payed much attention to their Guns they stocked.
Boy do I remember the Gibson's Discount Center near me. They had a good supply of weapons and their prices could not be beat. When they announced closing down the store, firearms were sold 50% off. The line to get in the store was so long that most of the firearms were quickly sold out. Not to worry. My former SIL was getting ready to sell his M60, when I made a passing comment that he should hang on to it. He then offered it to me free of charge to which I accepted. It has a 21" barrel and hold open feature. I guess it's capacity is 18 rounds but not sure, as it's been some time since I loaded and fired it. I do remember that I liked it better than my my 10/22 for off-hand shooting. My SIL claimed he had never cleaned it all the years he owned it. So, I cleaned it up and replaced the recoil buffer. It shoots great and is accurate enough with the brands of 22LR I've tried.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gunshow today and I didn't see any M60 under $350, and that was a beat up bone. Prices ranged from 350 to 550, for a $100 gun.

I collect expensive hobbies.
cs Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a wood stock Model 60 new at Academy for $159 in 2017. My brother was with me and said “I ought to get one of those too”. I told him there will come a day when you won’t be able to get one anymore new for that price. He said “eh” and was going to wait.
I’ve only put a couple hundred rounds through it but it’s a great rifle. Much more fieldable than my 10/22 and a better trigger (I have a walmart 10/22 which I am convinced is a factory second).
I have a soft spot for tube fed .22’s so I’m biased.

F
F
I'm in NE Canada and I bought a 2014 Marlin-60 Laminate NIB with a Barska 3-9 rimfire scope and CCI-MM x100 for $250 CDN from Orig owner who 'never got around' to shooting shocked . This was in 2017 and $250 CDN = ca $190 USD back then (still close to that). I sold the Barska ($50) and put on a 4-12x40 Tasco ($100) and it's shooting ca 3/4" at 50 yds. smile I added the white butt spacer and o-ring on takedown screw, too.
PS - These are going for $500+ around here (IF You Can Find one) in laminate. ( $400+ USD - exch = 1.30)
And I had a Glenfield back ca 1975 - ca $50 at K-mart !

Last edited by Fasteddie01; 03/11/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First new gun I bought with my own money. Think around 70 bucks from the Holiday Store.

Have to have 8-10k rounds through it.

Have another with a plastic stock and a NIB one at my dads.

Great guns

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.