Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good morning

Was hoping to find some info on how to procure a stainless barrel band sling swivel stud? Obviously plenty of in the white and blued bands out there for sale, but cannot find one made by anyone in stainless . Any ideas?
Thanks
Ben

BP-B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was in the same boat some time ago and sent a carbon steel one to Mahovsky's for their Metalife Hard Chrome Plating and it was a very good match.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by EdM
I was in the same boat some time ago and sent a carbon steel one to Mahovsky's for their Metalife Hard Chrome Plating and it was a very good match.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Ok cool thank you! I’ll look into that. That may well be the best solution. Hmmm.

Man, I can’t believe no one makes a stainless barrel band. Seems there would be enough demand for someone to run a batch of them once or twice a year, sheesh!
I’m even looking into having a fabricator tig weld a little rectangle of stainless bar stock to a piece of stainless tubing, and finishing it out from there by hand….but not real excited about that

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've been thinking about getting one for a stainless Contender barrel, never crossed my mind that they were not readily available.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think Gentry may have made some way back when. My theory on why they aren’t readily available is that A: most “safari” rifles are blued, and B: SS doesn’t stretch as readily as mild steel. B example can cause problems when fitting the band as it’s generally advised to order one a little undersized and stretch it on by tapping around the circumference with a flat faced hammer to achieve a good snug fit.

I built a couple here and there but they were a time consuming one off. I made one or two that were one piece using an indexer on the mill. Much easier method was to machine a stud on the mill and turn a band out of the chamber end of an old SS barrel to the right ID and OD. Put the band in the mill vise and machine a flat the same width as your stud on the bottom, get everything fitting well and silver solder the stud onto the ring. With good prep the joint can be almost invisible. Of course unless you have your own machine shop or very deep pockets it ends up costing what a used rifle goes for on an hourly rate.

Sending one that’s been fit to be hard chromed and putting it on with epoxy is probably a much better alternative.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gentry did make them at one time.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have used Ruger stainless swivel studs for multiple projects. I have always bought from midway but you might be able to get direct from Ruger, not sure.

The hard part is not knowing exactly what diameter you will get. They will be listed for Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, and stainless number 1’s

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks to all whole responded!
I’m still working on this one, got temporarily sidetracked.
I wasn’t able to get Ruger to sell me one, which would definitely be the easiest solution.
The hard chroming might be the thing to do.
I’ve also had the idea to get an appropriately sized piece of bar stock, drilling a squared hole myself, and having a gunsmith taper the ID to correct barrel dimensions. Then hand work the outer stock down with the sling stud, and finish out with files, paper, etc etc.
Would be some work, but would be what I want in the end. And wouldn’t cost anything other than the little bit of gunsmith work to taper the inside.
Anyways, this whole rifle project still has a ways to go.
Thanks again for the ideas and advice!
Ben

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.