Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I mailed the forms in Aquest, or September, the card has been charged, but no PAL.

Is this normal?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No, it is not. Something has happened. I would phone them, Richard.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good afternoon my friend, I hope you and your fine family are well on this first weekend of February.

As Steve's said, that's a bit long and it's likely time to see if you can get through to a human and ask some questions.

On the CCFR forums and another Canadian forum I'm on, it's all over the place now for PAL processing times with some folks getting them in a couple months and some taking more than a year.

Anyone dealing with Revenue Canada will have similar stories to tell, that is to say the service is variable to say the least.

Hope that helped somewhat and best of luck with the PAL.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I mailed the forms in Aquest, or September, the card has been charged, but no PAL.

Is this normal?

Say you mailed it in September so you are now 4 to 5 months into the process that for many is taking well over a year. My wife’s was 16 months and I know a number of people that were over 12 months.

Then there are the exceptions that get the renewal in less than a month.

So your wait time is not unusual. If you want to go a step further contact the RCMP and the provincial CFO.

There have been a few messages out that the government is changing the card format to make it harder to counterfeit - whether this is the case or not I cannot confirm.

Hugh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hugh;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust the day has been behaving for you folks so far.

On the CCFR Facebook forum one of the members posted a photo of the new card they'd received.

It didn't look that much different to me, but for sure somewhat.

They mentioned it was either a new supplier or a new machine processing the cards now as well.

All the best.

Dwayne

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Dwayne, good day to you - hope all is well. Yes I saw that post and that card did not look much different than the ones my wife and I were recently given. The one site said there was a holographic image added but I did not see that.

On the renewal time lines my wife and I both have RPAL and our son’s is a PAL. Timelines were 3 weeks, 16 months and 2 weeks. All information was correct in all three with no requests for clarification, additional information or re-submission. We never did get an explanation on the delay for my wife’s and she really got a run around with the RCMP on where they were at in the process.

Hugh
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Where do I stand with an expired PAL, and the firearms?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you have submitted your renewal, you should be okay. The best thing to do if you have any questions is to phone the CFC. Here are all your options.

Telephone:
1-800-731-4000

Email:
cfp-pcafrcmp-grc.gc.ca

Fax:
613-825-0297

Mail:
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Canadian Firearms Program
Ottawa ON K1A 0R2

If you have registered online with the RCMP and wish to check your PAL status, click here -

https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/chooser-eng.html?ipeReferer=eCFISIWS

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, here's my two cents. Applied in may 22, birthday in oct. 22, done by computer. They received it may 11 along with payment. Nothing??? Called in early oct. informed it was in the last stages???? Dec. 22 called again, in its last stages??? I contacted MMP for my area, never heard squat??? Put all guns, ammo, etc. in someone's home that had a valid PAL figuring I was now a criminal!!! Said person applied one day before me & had their PAL in early oct. Another friends wife applied & had hers two months later. Called Ed Burlew (firearms lawyer) his secratery said he was out of country but took my name & number. Dang, he called back shortly thereafter. I explained everything, he told me to get ahold of Chief firearms officer & see what was up??? Office extension was a recording & you couldn't leave a message. Drove to office to ask ????, no problem, your wife just needs to sign off on it. OH!!! Now what?? Gave them her phone number, they called her at lunch, she answered & was cut off. They never called her back. Drive over again & this time I called her at her lunch hour then handed the phone to officer, everything fine & dandy, WOW!!!!! Hope it's in the mail. I was told by registry office to do it by computer, it would be faster!!! Yea OK. Not sure how my wife was supposed to sign off on a computer??? If there was a square to check off I missed it. Also anyone could check off a square, neighbour, my dog??? Wonder if anyone was ever going to call me or text & let me know about it??? Still don't have it but hope it's in the Mail ???? Got my outdoors card in two weeks??? GOVERNMENT A. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GWPGUY;
Good evening to you Ontario time, almost getting there out west here, I hope that other than government struggles you're well.

For sure it seems like your experience isn't unique unfortunately.

One of the things I thought of after reading your post and Hugh's was I had a hiccup last time from them in that this time they wanted a scan of my current gun club membership. I did mine online and had neglected to send along a copy, which I'll do along with the photo next time. Now all that said, I've got an RPAL with restricted and 6-12 Prohibs registered to me so that's why they require the proof of club membership. They really shouldn't if it's not an RPAL or even an RPAL with no registered restricted - but who knows.

As mentioned we've been contending with Revenue Canada for almost a year now and while one hand does in fact know what the other is doing, they are only able to say the other hand is wrong, but can't make the changes at their end. Wonderful stuff truly.

Hopefully as some of the branches transition from working at home some of this will again become workable? Let's hope so.

Good luck with the PAL renewal for sure though. Ugh.

Dwayne

IC B3

R
R
Going on 4 months wait here, pal just expired apparently because I tried buying some shotgun shells at Lethbridge gun show today and was denied. On a lighter note though our CFO was there talking guns and shooting with people which was really good to see!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Raider7
Going on 4 months wait here, pal just expired apparently because I tried buying some shotgun shells at Lethbridge gun show today and was denied. On a lighter note though our CFO was there talking guns and shooting with people which was really good to see!

Hi. Have you tried checking your PAL status? It's worth a shot. No pun intended.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

R
R
I haven’t yet but I will now.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Wabigoon, I started the renewal process online in mid October, 2022 (I’m a Canadian living in the USA). I mailed the background check paperwork in late November. Received my new card last week. Hope that helps.

Edit- I think I recall that if you are expired but have applied for renewal you are covered, but I could be wrong on that.

Last edited by Johnsclist; 02/05/23.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Johnsclist
Wabigoon, I started the renewal process online in mid October, 2022 (I’m a Canadian living in the USA). I mailed the background check paperwork in late November. Received my new card last week. Hope that helps.

Edit- I think I recall that if you are expired but have applied for renewal you are covered, but I could be wrong on that.

Application in process - PAL expired — they told my wife she could keep her guns in storage just that she could not take them out and use them unless accompanied by someone with a valid PAL.

Hugh
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Normal, hardly !

But sadly, this is the new normal, Richard.

Douglas' (standard, not restricted) PAL, took over 12 months to receive, after his credit card was charged.

I thought we talked about this last year ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll call after a bit.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just renewed mine in the fall and it was in my hand in about one month.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I just called, man what a wait time mad

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Crazy, isn’t it?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (35, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,407 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.