Campfire Regular
C
What boots are y'all liking?
Waterproof is a must.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had a pair of cabelas years ago. Tall and comfortable. But after awhile, the glue holding the soles on simply deteriorated and the soles fell off. I'll never buy another pair of boots where the soles aren't heavily stitched on.

I think if I did it over again, I'd rather have some sturdy hiking books and snake-proof knee high gaiters. Most snake boots rely on layers of cordura nylon above the ankle, and aren't any more snake-proof around the foot than solid hiking boots.

Unless you are hunting in Eastern/Western Diamondback or Prairie rattlesnake country, snakes very rarely bite above the ankle. Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and Timber/Canebrake Rattlers, and Pygmy Rattlers (the only venoumous snakes in Tennesee) tend to bight straight out, or only an inch or two above the ground. The Diamondbacks and Prairies tend to coil higher and may bite above the ankle. Snake proof gaiters will retard penetration as well as the layers of nylon fabric in snake-proof boots. And you can take gaiters off when it gets hot.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 02/05/23.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use calf high snake leggings. That way I’m not committed to specific foot ware for the entire season.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
For you users of this stuff, any of you ever glad you were wearing them? My one and only experience with a snake happened not while turkey hunting, but on an Arizona desert mule deer bow hunt. Coming down off one of the hills we were glassing on I almost walked over a big diamondback. It coiled up and rattled like crazy, way too close! It never struck out, I put my bow between me and the snake and backed away. After a minute or so, felt longer, it slithered away. Only thing, other than my bow, between me and it were my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and the Sitka pants I was wearing.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been hunting in GA for 50 years. Never seen a venomous snake during hunting season. Not even turkey season. I've seen a few non-venomous snakes while dove hunting. I've ran across a few copperheads, one cottonmouth and one HUGE rattler while hiking during the summer.

The rattler was close to 6' and as big around as my forearm. His head was as big as my fist. That one got my attention.

My wife and I volunteer with a search team. I have a set of leggings that I rarely use on searches. I've been to Florida a few times and some places near the coast of SC and NC where it is a jungle. I just can't justify a dedicated pair of snake boots. Wouldn't wear them enough.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I routinely see cottonmouths in the bottoms I hunt. You may have never been in a car wreck but I bet you have car insurance.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
That's one of the analogies I was thinking...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a pair of Russell snake boots that I quit wearing10 years ago... just don't need that much protection... I am around venomous snakes daily and have never been struck through Lacrosse Alpha Burley Rubber boots. I just don't wear snake boots anymore because a snake cannot bite through rubber boots unless you have worn them completely out.

So There...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and Timber/Canebrake Rattlers, and Pygmy Rattlers (the only venoumous snakes in Tennesee) tend to bight straight out, or only an inch or two above the ground. The Diamondbacks and Prairies tend to coil higher and may bite above the ankle. Snake proof gaiters will retard penetration as well as the layers of nylon fabric in snake-proof boots. And you can take gaiters off when it gets hot.

We have cottonmouths, copperheads, as well as rattlers in TN as well as the Pygmy rattlers that you mentioned. I killed a copperhead in my yard (it was self defense, I promise) a few years back.

As far as boots go, I have an old (and I do mean old) pair of Rocky Snake boots. I just bought a pair of cowboy type snake boots that were on close out at Academy this past fall, I have yet to wear them so I can not report back on them as of yet. If I were buying today, I think I would have to look hard at Russel boots but nobody around me carriers them. I would like to try them on and see how they fit before spending that type of money.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by pullit
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and Timber/Canebrake Rattlers, and Pygmy Rattlers (the only venoumous snakes in Tennesee) tend to bight straight out, or only an inch or two above the ground. The Diamondbacks and Prairies tend to coil higher and may bite above the ankle. Snake proof gaiters will retard penetration as well as the layers of nylon fabric in snake-proof boots. And you can take gaiters off when it gets hot.

We have cottonmouths, copperheads, as well as rattlers in TN as well as the Pygmy rattlers that you mentioned. I killed a copperhead in my yard (it was self defense, I promise) a few years back.

As far as boots go, I have an old (and I do mean old) pair of Rocky Snake boots. I just bought a pair of cowboy type snake boots that were on close out at Academy this past fall, I have yet to wear them so I can not report back on them as of yet. If I were buying today, I think I would have to look hard at Russel boots but nobody around me carriers them. I would like to try them on and see how they fit before spending that type of money.

They don’t sell them in stores unless something has changed with the new owners. 2 years ago I had a pair. Took 6 months to get them in after ordering them. The zippers lasted less than a week and when I sent them back they said it would be 6 months before they could repair them. They sent me my money back.

If I bought them again, I’d get a pair without the zippers. I think I’d like a pair of their South 40’s.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hiking boots and very rarely snake gaiters with them.. Expensive snake boots are a waste of money. And yes, I’ve been bitten by a western diamondback- in my garage at night, wearing flip flops.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a pair of Irish Setter snake boots I wear in the woods and such around here. My friend, whose place I hunt on, has urged me to always wear snake boots and carry a pistol on his place, he says the cottonmouths have been pretty bad the last few years. I use them as my all around hunting boots down here because 1. It never gets so cold I need anything else and 2. They lace all the way up, are very comfortable and light weight and they provide really good ankle support. There's really no downside for me.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the last several years in AR, LA & MS I’ve been wearing a pair of side zip Irish Setter snakeproof boots. Comfort & waterproofing both get a thumbs up with a nice pair of wool socks. Hasn’t been tested with an actual snakebite yet so fingers crossed & review pending on that feature.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Me and snakes do not get along, so I wear them. I need a new pair and think I would like to buy a pair of Russell's but would like to find some place close to me that actually has some so I could see them first hand.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh I did buy a pair last year of the cowboy type snake boots from Academy on close out. Not too sure how they will work out but with a gift card and on close out, they were really cheap, so I am not out much if they suck on the comfort level and I don't use them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm glad I don't have that to worry about. There are a few copperheads here, but I'm 72 years old and have to see a live one in the wild. I've hunted in some places where they are, and never given running into one a second thought. However, I am usually wearing high top rubber boots to keep my feet and legs dry, so maybe that would matter if I ever stepped close to one.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm considering a Nilgai hunt in SE TX and they recommend snake boots. Where I turkey hunt in central and NE WI, venomous snakes are never a concern, though every once in a great while, you'll hear about one being seen/killed in the area.

NRA life member

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can someone recommend a good pair of calf-high snake-proof gaiters? We're going back to CO next year. The guides and all other hunters ran into rattlers during our Sept muzzy elk hunt. She didn't see/hear any but my wife is terrified of snakes. Thanks.

C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Davelefty
Can someone recommend a good pair of calf-high snake-proof gaiters? We're going back to CO next year. The guides and all other hunters ran into rattlers during our Sept muzzy elk hunt. She didn't see/hear any but my wife is terrified of snakes. Thanks.

Dans
https://briarproofstore.com/snake-gaiters-by-dans-hunting-gear/

C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Lacrosse rubber snake boots look decent. Anyone have them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
373 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.