Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I'm going to wait and see as well. I have a .300 BLK pistol with a fixed position brace that takes tools to remove or adjust. I will convert to a rifle, before I SBR it. I don't want to have to ask the govt permission yearly to be able to take it to the OK deer lease.

My thoughts as well. My inclination is to stick a 16 inch barrel on mine and forget about it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put a 16" upper on mine, and put the little upper away.
We'll see how this turns out.
I ain't telling, or askin permission to do anything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would removing and “disposing” of the brace bring the pistol into compliance? Asking for a friend

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes.

But I don’t think it will stand up in court, ATF is catching flak from congress already, they don’t like being sidestepped.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I hope you're right, but I'm not so sure that congress won't accommodate them.

At any rate, given their posted deadline dates there needs to be a court case for an injunction real quick like................in the right jurisdiction for a favorable decision.

MM

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mac84
Would removing and “disposing” of the brace bring the pistol into compliance? Asking for a friend

Yes - they’re going after anything attached to the back end that’s more than a short buffer tube required to make the DI pistol run.

If it’s gas piston or blow back driven by other means than by a rearward buffer and spring, and there’s no need for anything past the end of the receiver - it’s got to come off.

Last edited by AH64guy; 02/04/23.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Suits are coming. Here’s the first I’ve seen.

Here

Last edited by shootem; 02/04/23.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bump stocks were stupid but served a useful purpose, they set presedence. It’s just a matter of time.

I don’t have a brace on mine, got a smooth pistol tube with a foam cover, use a cheek weld to shoot and it works better than I first thought it would. But I only have the pistol lower so I can travel out of state and won’t be any confusion if some Barney Fife type pulls me over. I have another lower waiting on approval, it wears a real stock, braces suck. Always wanted an SBR with a can so I played by the rules, they gotta do the same.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TWR
Bump stocks were stupid but served a useful purpose, they set presedence. It’s just a matter of time.

I don’t have a brace on mine, got a smooth pistol tube with a foam cover, use a cheek weld to shoot and it works better than I first thought it would. But I only have the pistol lower so I can travel out of state and won’t be any confusion if some Barney Fife type pulls me over. I have another lower waiting on approval, it wears a real stock, braces suck. Always wanted an SBR with a can so I played by the rules, they gotta do the same.
last month thr 5th circuit court of appeals struck down the bump stock ban

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anyone see advantages to paying for the stamp instead of taking the freebie?

Hold the wasting $200 comment but I wonder if there is any category difference by paying for the stamp.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JRS3

Hold the wasting $200 comment but I wonder if there is any category difference by paying for the stamp.
I do see a distinct advantage and getting a pin and weld suppressor to bring a barrel to length and not have to do an SBR stamp.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
ldholton, “ last month thr 5th circuit court of appeals struck down the bump stock ban”

I guess I wasn’t clear, that was the presedence I was referring to.

I’m not sure if there’s a real downside to taking the free stamp. I’ve been told they are setting the free stamp applications aside for now so it doesn’t slow down the system until they see how many will actually apply and how many new reviewers they will need. You can keep the brace on as long as you can show that you have applied for amnesty but you cannot install a real stock until you are approved.

By paying for the real form 1, they are supposed to take up to 60 days to approve. Average is 30 days. Mine went submitted/in process on the 11th of January although I e-filed 12-21-22 it said submitted/pending research. Not sure when the time starts but taking in the holidays and everything that has gone on, I figure I’ve got a little more time to wait.

I bought a Colt 6933 upper and wanted to use my Colt M4 lower so I paid the money, had it engraved and will have an all Colt SBR. Not sure there’s any real benefit but it’s what I wanted.

I have three lowers that I could file for the free stamp on but right now I don’t see me needing another SBR but I’ve got a little time to decide for sure.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For those that bought/built a pistol with a brace just to keep from paying the $200 to have a true SBR, this could be a positive (ignoring the whole need for a tax stamp, etc, for an SBR in the first place).

I have both, and waiting to see how this plays out for a bit before deciding which route I take (apply or rebuild). I do know a few who have already applied.

I can’t see any real advantage by going the normal route and paying for the stamp vs applying under the amnesty route.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have one, so I don't have to deal with it, but the biggest issue that I see is, like any NFA article, you now own it forever or can only sell it to another NFA holder.

Unl,ss I am misunderstanding....................this schitt is getting more complicated by the day.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
still violates the 10 amendment! if nobody complies it will be unenforceable.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I don't have one, so I don't have to deal with it, but the biggest issue that I see is, like any NFA article, you now own it forever or can only sell it to another NFA holder.

Unl,ss I am misunderstanding....................this schitt is getting more complicated by the day.

MM
I’m certainly not an NFA expert so check out everything for yourself but, on an SBR you can remove the short barrel and ask the ATF to remove the lower from the registry and it becomes a regular AR or lower again.

But that’s why I did the Colt lower, I will never get rid of it anyway. Didn’t want to be tied to an Anderson or other generic lower.

I also have my daughter named in my will so she can file a form 5 (I think) and all my NFA stuff goes to her without having to repay the tax. This particular lower was part of the gun she killed her first few deer with, it’ll have my name on the side and hopefully it’ll mean something to her.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM
I’m certainly not an NFA expert so check out everything for yourself but, on an SBR you can remove the short barrel and ask the ATF to remove the lower from the registry and it becomes a regular AR or lower again.

But that’s why I did the Colt lower, I will never get rid of it anyway. Didn’t want to be tied to an Anderson or other generic lower.

I also have my daughter named in my will so she can file a form 5 (I think) and all my NFA stuff goes to her without having to repay the tax. This particular lower was part of the gun she killed her first few deer with, it’ll have my name on the side and hopefully it’ll mean something to her.

And worst case you strip it down to the lower and you are out ~$100 (or a bit more for a big name lower). My first SBR is on a Noveske lower, but I built my pistols on good quality, mid-tier stripped lowers that were $100-130.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by splattermatic
I put a 16" upper on mine, and put the little upper away.

I ain't telling, or askin permission to do anything.

That doesn't make any sense.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JRS3

Originally Posted by TXRam
I can’t see any real advantage by going the normal route and paying for the stamp vs applying under the amnesty route.

When you log in to Eforms, the free stamp is on a new site. They're definitely being sorted into two different boxes.

There's gotta be a reason for that. I'd suspect because they anticipate delaying one box, waiting to see how this will all shake out. If you REALLY want one, it would be worth the $200 to get in and approved before the 120 day free period is over.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
To clarify, you only have to have a form submitted in the 120 days to take advantage of “amnesty”. They know they will not get everyone approved in the 120 days. The other thing is the 88 day background check, that only starts after they have started on your application. If you can’t be vetted in 88 days, you probably have bigger problems.

Again the only thing about paying is you should get cleared quicker and change out that POS brace with a real stock. Instead of waiting months or years stuck with your brace.

You have to engrave an SBR lower, don’t have to if you’re filing braced pistol free amnesty route. Unless they change that up too.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,114
Posts18,464,448
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.