24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No different than when we used to give $350-450 for a walnut/blued bolt action.

Now you can't get one of the bargain rifles for that.

A lot more parts, pieces and fitting on one of these levers than a bolt.

Not hard to spend $800+ on a bolt gun these days. I would have no problem giving $900-1k for a well made, well fitted lever.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
At price points over $1000, I just can’t get that enthusiastic about Marlins, anymore. Guess I’m officially becoming an “old fart”. I guess a price point of $600-$800 is expecting too much, these days. Just bought too many 39’s, 336’s, and 1894’s in the $200-$500 price range, even up until 2-3 years ago, to feel the urge...

Same here

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
No different than when we used to give $350-450 for a walnut/blued bolt action.

Now you can't get one of the bargain rifles for that.

A lot more parts, pieces and fitting on one of these levers than a bolt.

Not hard to spend $800+ on a bolt gun these days. I would have no problem giving $900-1k for a well made, well fitted lever.

I still spend $350 to $500 on some of my bolt guns. Just did it the other day in fact..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That one looks like brand new. Not a mark on it and I don't think it was fired outside of the factory. I put an end to that schidt though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At the risk of being roasted on here I just want to say a Marlin built by Remington or Ruger is not a Marlin.
It is a copy of a Marlin.
It is not bad thing I guess. Who doesn’t like a nice lever rifle. They might be better or worse than a Marlin, but they will never be a Marlin made in North Haven Ct.
I know, I’m an old fuddy-duddy. But facts are facts. Real Marlins are out there for purchase. Here’s one I’ve had for a while. 1895 .45-70. Good rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
😁

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
At price points over $1000, I just can’t get that enthusiastic about Marlins, anymore..

I was never enthusiastic about any marlin lever gun, made by anybody. I've owned a marlin 256 win mag, a .444 marlin, and a stainless marlin in 44 mag.

All were sold. Why carry a heavy rifle with a weak action that can't handle modern bolt action pressures? Heavy rifle, low pressure cartridges, limited range? Marlins aren't some sort of early frontier icon, worthy of collectors status. I'll never understand it.

It's crazy, these prices for any marlin. I paid $875 for a new in box browning 95 in 30-06 a few years back. Rebored/rechambered to my 41-9.3x62 wildcat, it was turned into a carbine with scout scope. Exactly 8.5 lbs scoped,it launched 350 grain swift a-frame spitzers in the 2300-2350fps range.

Now that levergun was worth carrying and keeping. Not these poser fkn Walmart brand Marlins with the stoopid large lever loops and goofy scout rails.

Marlins should be the pay less shoes of the lever gun world, and priced similarly as well.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/02/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SS336
At the risk of being roasted on here I just want to say a Marlin built by Remington or Ruger is not a Marlin.
It is a copy of a Marlin.
It is not bad thing I guess. Who doesn’t like a nice lever rifle. They might be better or worse than a Marlin, but they will never be a Marlin made in North Haven Ct.
I know, I’m an old fuddy-duddy. But facts are facts. Real Marlins are out there for purchase. Here’s one I’ve had for a while. 1895 .45-70. Good rifle.

Very nice, like the loupy too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
At price points over $1000, I just can’t get that enthusiastic about Marlins, anymore..

I was never enthusiastic about any marlin lever gun, made by anybody. I've owned a marlin 256 win mag, a .444 marlin, and a stainless marlin in 44 mag.

All were sold. Why carry a heavy rifle with a weak action that can't handle modern bolt action pressures? Heavy rifle, low pressure cartridges, limited range? Marlins aren't some sort of early frontier icon, worthy of collectors status. I'll never understand it.

It's crazy, these prices for any marlin. I paid $875 for a new in box browning 95 in 30-06 a few years back. Rebored/rechambered to my 41-9.3x62 wildcat, it was turned into a carbine with scout scope. Exactly 8.5 lbs scoped,it launched 350 grain swift a-frame spitzers in the 2300-2350fps range.

Now that levergun was worth carrying and keeping. Not these poser fkn Walmart brand Marlins with the stoopid large lever loops and goofy scout rails.

Marlins should be the pay less shoes of the lever gun world, and priced similarly as well.

Ok, Lol.

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Troll elsewhere.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
He’s not trolling, he’s speaking from experience. One of his rifles probably gets used harder in a season on the river than most L48 guys’ whole safe full sees in a lifetime.

Marlins are not and have never been particularly strong or good for really rough service. They have several internal parts that are not overly stout and it’s just due to how they’re engineered to work, just the way it is.

They also are not and have not ever been the near Holland and Holland quality in materials, fit, or finish that the “JM” fan club makes them out to be.

I’ve personally seen and handled laughably poor examples of Marlin lever rifles in pretty much every caliber and from every era of manufacture from the 1940’s through 2015. I’ve also handled many examples from the same eras that were good workable usable and reliable rifles, but none that were a truly finely fit and finished piece.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Marlins were never intended to be a truly finely fit and finished piece. They were a blue collar working mans gun and until recently priced accordingly. Quality, fit and finish was as good as anything in their price range and they were plenty strong enough for the cartridges they were chambered for and designed to handle. Of course Marlin put out some lemons over the years. So has every other manufacturer. Lord knows I've seen plenty of train wrecks from Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Savage and others that should never have left the factory. I would choose a good example of a Marlin over a Winchester/Browning 1895 for my hunting every day ending in "Y". Why ? Because grizzly bears are nothing I need to deal with and the cartridges and effective range of a Marlin suit my hunting style and territory just fine. That damned ugly magazine hanging down under the belly of the 1895 gets in the way of the one hand carryability that is one of the main reasons for choosing a traditional lever over a bolt. Add a forward mounted scope to that 1895 and it looks about as goofy as Herman Munster riding a tricycle. The fuggin things are ugly enough without adding insult to injury.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would agree with all of that. I just see constantly people saying that the older Marlins were something they weren’t. Like you said, they were an affordable blue collar deer gun.

As far as the prices, yes they’re much higher than they used to be, but what isn’t? Used to be able to buy a stripped down work truck for cheap too, now they’re $50k.

I doubt we ever see a Marlin at anything approaching old time prices again. But I also wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Ruger produce rifles of the same or better quality than the JM guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
He’s not trolling, he’s speaking from experience. One of his rifles probably gets used harder in a season on the river than most L48 guys’ whole safe full sees in a lifetime.

Marlins are not and have never been particularly strong or good for really rough service. They have several internal parts that are not overly stout and it’s just due to how they’re engineered to work, just the way it is.

They also are not and have not ever been the near Holland and Holland quality in materials, fit, or finish that the “JM” fan club makes them out to be.

I’ve personally seen and handled laughably poor examples of Marlin lever rifles in pretty much every caliber and from every era of manufacture from the 1940’s through 2015. I’ve also handled many examples from the same eras that were good workable usable and reliable rifles, but none that were a truly finely fit and finished piece.

Do you feel the same way about Winchester 94's? Are they worse or better?

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Certainly the Marlins are good enough for the vast majority of us that don't need to use them in the fashion that river hunting in AK requires.
Up to you to decide on what you need, or don't need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Marlins work really well in Louisiana. I've got 2 from the 50's and one from the 70's that ain't fell apart yet. Hunted with the 35 from 55 this season. Have a williams peep with a .065 thick front sight that is the cat's meow for the swamps and thickets when ground hunting. 212 gr. RCBS pattern around 11 BN hardness works pretty good on deer and hogs, even big hogs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thutty-thutty Marlin 336, it was my starter deer rifle, good one for any young boy, or good'ol boy.
Happy to trade it in on a thutty-aught-six Ruger M77 roundtop that still shoots like a house afire.
Wish I had kept that 39A twenty-two, the only Marlin that would interest me nowadays.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Wish I had kept that 39A twenty-two, the only Marlin that would interest me nowadays.
I had 2 of those. Once I started messing with the second one I remembered why I sent the first one down the road.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Take most of what is posted on this site lightly.
Some good info but lots of Trolls and haters looking for arguments.

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Then get off the Marlin board. Take your fluffer too.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t know who you refer to as my fluffer, funny you jump straight to the homo stuff when your ox is gored.

I merely offered a possible counterpoint to your obvious bullshiet post about the new rifles you’ve never handled or seen in person. I still hope Ruger builds a nice rifle whether you think it’s a “Marlin” or not.

But party on with the fist bumps and speculation about rifles you’ve never seen.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
420 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.