Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Muffin
Is 22lr not available down under???? Or just not used.

Not being an Aussie and all!

Of course it is available. The question was about centrefire cartridges.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For sure it depends on locale.

Local Louisiana Cajuns, easy answer...

.22 WMR, it's the candlepowder that's the variable....

But, they may not always be hunting when the sun is shining....

But, they eat good...

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
This is an interesting conversation. So far, seems Aussie's and Yank's favour pretty much the same cartridges.

In the States, the top 5 selling rifle cartridges are in ranking order:

1. 223 Remington
2. .308 Winchester
3. .30-06 Springfield.
4. 30-30 Winchester
5. .270 Winchester

II would be curious to see what the top 5 are in Europe.

Thinking a large portion of 223 Rem is for blasting at the range in AR's or hoarded for the Apocalypse. No doubt the 223 gets hunted but doubt it ranks number one out of those five if adjusted for other uses in the U.S.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I mentioned in my first post on the thread that I had left out the 22 and 12G. They are very common and I think the various rimfires as a group would be the biggest sellers.

Australia's largest guns/hunting forum (extremely active) I think is like American ones in the sense they are not representative of what you find in the bush. They leave the impression that the 300 Wby and 375 etc. are behind every second bush. I think a much higher percentage of Australian shooters reload than Americans and especially for any of the magnums, Wbys, 375 and 458 etc but also the stuff like 270 etc. I think two reasons are cost of ammo here and also the large volume of shooting.

We also favour faster expanding bullets (people on forums are often not that way) so 130 grain common in 308 and 100 - 110 grain in 270. A local bullet maker here (not Woodleigh) make 30, 303, 358, 375 and 45 and all ar big hollow point quick expanders.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The calicivirus knocked the rabbits back big time 20 odd years ago. They still pop up in patches but the big numbers are gone forever now. The .22s are still around but not much to shoot them at with the decline of the rabbits.

With regard to the five cartridges, I'd go .223, .243, .270 .308 and .30-06. Of the hunters I've met in the bush over the past few years.the 30-06 was the most commen cartridge they were carrying. Probably because they want to, or do, go sambar hunting. Some of the old classics like .222 and .303. are not as popular anymore as they once were. I still prefer the little .222 for foxes over the 223 but the .223 is miles (or kilometres) ahead these days. The .300 magnums are also pretty popular with a lot of blokes choosing one now over the .30-06, especially the .300WSM.

But I still like my oldies like the .222, .250 Sav, .257 Roberts x 2, .257 Ackley, .25-06, 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 7x57, 7x64, .30-06, .303, 8x57, .35 Whelen and 9.3x62.

But I am moving with the times and actually have a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5x47 very soon.

However, my Ruger Number 1A in 7x57 is the one that I keep coming back to after I've played with most of the others. It will be the one that I will keep to the end.

Last edited by Elvis; 08/31/21.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Mike Mcguire bout greater use of positive expanding bullets in Australia. Americans more likely to class a bullet a failure if it loses a few grains or cant penetrate 36"of ballistic gel+ 6" pine boards on a youtube video. In big game calibres I used to like the older style hornadies and even the .416 calibre woodleighs. Unfortunately the owners at these companies read enough of the same magazines the average gunowner does and they toughened the jackets back in the 2000's.

My theory is as Aussie hunters can shoot a lot more game if they want (being 95% of our game is plague proportion pest animals with no seasons or bag limits) they figure out by necessity stuff falls over okay with cheap bullets. Americans maybe spend more time planning that special hunt which involves a bullet handling any angle that presents.

A bit off tangent but since we are comparing preferences between the countries I will say the yanks are superior meat utilizers. All those guys into skinning, field dressing, trophies, packing meat out. Some Aussies are still into this but most game being pests usually rots where it lays.

One other random observation is the awe given to hogs by Americans smile Here they are considered just another thin skinned game for a 243 or 357 carbine, 223 with well placed shots, or in my region , dog and knife...

On a US forum though a discussion on hogs often devolves into "battling tusk-zilla with a 338 win mag or 44 mag with hardcasts". Strikes me as funny since Americans have 3 types of bears which can outrun, outswim, outclimb a man(or hog!) and eat you too Now that is a scary animal in my opinion. And yanks think nothing of camping around them or shooting them with handguns and bows and arrows.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well written sir. Your finely tuned bullschidt detector is working 100%.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 158XTP
I agree with Mike Mcguire bout greater use of positive expanding bullets in Australia. Americans more likely to class a bullet a failure if it loses a few grains or cant penetrate 36"of ballistic gel+ 6" pine boards on a youtube video. In big game calibres I used to like the older style hornadies and even the .416 calibre woodleighs. Unfortunately the owners at these companies read enough of the same magazines the average gunowner does and they toughened the jackets back in the 2000's.

My theory is as Aussie hunters can shoot a lot more game if they want (being 95% of our game is plague proportion pest animals with no seasons or bag limits) they figure out by necessity stuff falls over okay with cheap bullets. Americans maybe spend more time planning that special hunt which involves a bullet handling any angle that presents.

A bit off tangent but since we are comparing preferences between the countries I will say the yanks are superior meat utilizers. All those guys into skinning, field dressing, trophies, packing meat out. Some Aussies are still into this but most game being pests usually rots where it lays.

One other random observation is the awe given to hogs by Americans smile Here they are considered just another thin skinned game for a 243 or 357 carbine, 223 with well placed shots, or in my region , dog and knife...

On a US forum though a discussion on hogs often devolves into "battling tusk-zilla with a 338 win mag or 44 mag with hardcasts". Strikes me as funny since Americans have 3 types of bears which can outrun, outswim, outclimb a man(or hog!) and eat you too Now that is a scary animal in my opinion. And yanks think nothing of camping around them or shooting them with handguns and bows and arrows.

Those are very astute observations and well written.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by 158XTP

Hogs will definitely eat a dead man. 😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Where I live, Darling Downs of Queensland, which is Red Deer country 270 Win is pretty popular.

Only accurate rifles are interesting
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
257 Roberts
264 win mag
300 Weatherby
338 Win mag

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Reckon there would be a lot of new rifles sold in 6.5 Creedmore these days. Agree that 308, 243 and 223 rank up there in the top 3.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
I live on the mainland of Australiana, and my local range did a survey of the shooters for a few months where everyone had to write down what chamberings they were shooting that day, and at the end of it the .308 had been entered 50% of the time. And its mostly all individual hunters sighting in rifles, not target shooters or club people etc. So its a clear win for the .308 over here. Of the other 50% the 7mm08 led,, and then after that was the .270 and .243 neck and neck followed by everything else.

There is not many people using .303's any more, you will see about as many old 6.5x55's as you will old .303's, and then it seems to be just old guys dragging it out for a shot for old times sake, rather than people who seriously hunt with them.

The Tikka T3 changed the game, opened the doors to other manufacturers making cheap plastic bolt actions, and the price for a decent shooting rifle came down. Ruger, Savage, Howa etc. It mean that all those guys who would have used their Dad's old .303 could afford to go and buy Savage Axises and Ruger Americans instead. In .308.
If you took out ex army people and farmers that cull the 3006 would be the most popular by far , a range survey is always going to lean towards the 308 , a lot of ranges have a very tight calibre restriction which would never really show what people have or prefer to use , that’s for Vic anyway nsw and Queensland may have slightly smaller preferences as a lot mainly shoot pigs not deer, i love my 270wsm and 35sambar, as for the 223 it’s very popular but I wouldn’t rate it as a big game calibre , mine gets used a lot for culling and works fine for head shooting sure , but I never take it out for fun

MUD
Over
BLOOD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm always curious to see what calibers other people have chosen to hunt with. For a totally unscientific sampling, my mates (to use the Aussie term) in the US south used these during the last season:

243, 6.5x55 Swede, 7mm-08, 270, 300 Win Mag, 35 Whelen plus one guy who only hunts deer with his favorite 44 Magnum lever action.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
What animal are you asking about. I believe that in the US there are thousands of hunters that use multiple calibers depending upon species and location. An elk hunter on the west coast may use a different cartridge than a plains hunter. For Elk the 300WM has been the most popular for several years, followed by the 7mm magnums, the 30:06, 270 and possibly the .308 win. Many use the same for big whitetails and mule deer. Antelope I would guess the 270 win., 7mm mag and a number of smaller caliber cartridges.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
.22 hornet
.223 rem
.243 win
.30-06 sprg
.300 win

Last edited by Coyote10; 02/02/23.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I wonder how many people that are listing the top 5 cartridges live and hunt in Australia?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
22 lr
30-06
300 win mag
458 win

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I wonder how many people that are listing the top 5 cartridges live and hunt in Australia?

A lot of people appear to be putting up their favourite calibres.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You don't need to be Einstein to work it out: Those who have been hunting a lot would use a .270, those that hunt their biggest deer would use a .30-06, those that can't stand the recoil of a .30-06 and "think" a .308 is nearly as good would use a .308, those that like European things and nostalgia would use a 7 x 57, those that want a higher bc bullet than what a .308 gives would choose a 7-08, those that are a bit frail would use a .243, those that don't have lots of money and just do a little bit of shooting or do professional culling would choose a .223, those that are new to hunting and are swayed by advertising or "dream" that they are going to be hunting game at 600 yards or are a bit effeminate would choose a 6.5 CM.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 02/06/23.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.