Campfire Regular
B
anybody doing it? what are the thoughts pro's and con's.......bob

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pros, it might be more accurate for you. Cons, it's slightly heavier and bulkier and could fail and requires a suitable holster.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm carrying a G19 with a Holosun 507C, had to trim out maybe a 1/4' off a kydex IWB holster, can't tell the difference carrying it or my iron sighted G19.

Can't think of any cons, I change the battery on my birthday, it's never let me down but I have BUIS's if it ever did. Oh I might have to brush the lint or dust out of the window every now and then but it never gets to dirty to see through.

The benefits of shooting more accurately in any lighting condition and being able to see the whole room instead of just the front sight far outweigh any negative I can think of. At first I was slightly faster to the first shot with irons but I stuck with it, took some advice/tips from a friend and stuck with it till it's second nature.

Last edited by TWR; 02/06/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would say that the biggest con is you really need to put in the time to ensure you can reliably pick up the dot when you present. That's really more of a consideration than a con in actuality.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
IMO, when it comes to ordinary concealed carry, the cons outweigh the potential pros. It's over complicating something which is better kept simple.

On a fighting carbine, the scales may balance in favor of their use.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There are no cons unless actually practicing is something you are not willing to do.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
RDS novice here. But FWIW, make sure you keep the emitter area clean enough to let the light hit the glass.

I don't think it's a huge problem unless you drop your firearm in the mud or have years of lint buildup.

I see now there are some RDS they are referring to "mailbox" style, that have glass on both ends, so the emitter is always in a clean environment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a red dot on my Shield Plus. 1/3 co-witness backup irons help "find the dot" but a good presentation puts the dot right there.

It's more accurate for me than irons at 25 yards

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
thanks for all the replies....going to put one on my dw bruin and see how that goes......then make up my mind whether to put on my conceal ......bob

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
IMO, when it comes to ordinary concealed carry, the cons outweigh the potential pros. It's over complicating something which is better kept simple.

On a fighting carbine, the scales may balance in favor of their use.

I don't see any cons that are worthy of concern. I have backup irons on both of mine and I love the RDS in any lighting condition. They improve the aiming g consistency for old eyes for certain and are the quickest sighting system for your carry weapon as lo g as you practice acquiring the sight picture instantly and are perfect for night time use

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
my EDC is a full sized Kimber Custom with a red dot... stupid fast and accurate...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Pros, it might be more accurate for you. Cons, it's slightly heavier and bulkier and could fail and requires a suitable holster.
Weight-wise these are incredibly light. The original Trijicon RMR seems a bit bulky, but the newer 'micro' RDS's (Shield RMSc, Sig Romeo Zero, etc.) are tiny. Co-witness iron sights are a good idea with any electronic sight, in case of a failure. Finding a suitable holster 'was' an issue early on, now it seems 'most' maker's have that covered.

Originally Posted by RufusG
I would say that the biggest con is you really need to put in the time to ensure you can reliably pick up the dot when you present. That's really more of a consideration than a con in actuality.
With irons that co-witness, I don't think this is a problem. However, I had one on a pistol that had no iron sights (a Ruger 22LR pistol) and even finding the dot was difficult when first starting out.

Regarding more accurate, I just had one out on a 22LR pistol yesterday, With all of the years practice I've had with iron sights... it's rather disappointing how much better I can shoot with a Micro red dot.

YMMV,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As far as finding the dot, my limited experience is that what Bluedreaux has to say about it is exactly correct. I'm not going to try to quote or even paraphrase. It shouldn't take long to find his comments on the subject here.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I try to follow the KISS method for every thing I do. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by FreeMe
As far as finding the dot, my limited experience is that what Bluedreaux has to say about it is exactly correct. I'm not going to try to quote or even paraphrase. It shouldn't take long to find his comments on the subject here.

freeme...I searched for this type of discussion before I posted....couldn't find anything but I will try again....bob

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I try to follow the KISS method for every thing I do. Hasbeen
Yep, Keep It Simple, Stupid.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RufusG

It is the same with the iron sights, if you find the irons instantly on presentation then the DOT will there as well.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot my carry gun (M&P 2.0 Compact with a DPP) yesterday in a training class.

The front sight nearly slid out of the dovetail, again, and I had to beat it back in place with a flashlight so it wouldn't fall off and get lost. That happens every hundred rounds or so, even after I've tried staking it in place by peening the dovetail down around it. If you shoot enough you'll see plenty of iron sights fail, too.

If everyone would quit buying cheap dots the whole failure thing wouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I shot my carry gun (M&P 2.0 Compact with a DPP) yesterday in a training class.

The front sight nearly slid out of the dovetail, again, and I had to beat it back in place with a flashlight so it wouldn't fall off and get lost. That happens every hundred rounds or so, even after I've tried staking it in place by peening the dovetail down around it. If you shoot enough you'll see plenty of iron sights fail, too.

If everyone would quit buying cheap dots the whole failure thing wouldn't be an issue.

what are some that you like that will hold up?....not looking for cheap willing to pay for quality......bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe

This?

I'd add that the key to finding the dot is proper head position (second quote below) and initial presentation of the pistol. Establish a two hand grip as early as possible, preferably as soon as it clears the holster. Present the pistol in a straight (diagonal) line from the holster to extension. Don't bring it to your center line and push it out. Don't "punch" it out. Just lift it to your line of sight. It should be horizontal, parallel to the ground, before it's lifted all the way to your line of sight.

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I stand straight upright, chin parallel to the ground. Just like a normal standing person. Then clap your hands together in front of you, like your trying to catch a bug. Both arms are slightly bent and not hyper extended. They're both evenly extended. Then put a gun in them. Then, without moving your head or scrunching anything up in your neck or shoulders, just lift the gun up until you're looking at the sights.

I hold the gun with my hands and wrists. Everything else (biceps, shoulders, back) are relaxed except for the tension needed to suspend the weight of the pistol in front of me.

Stance (foot position and any slight lean) are dictated by how you might need to fight or move. They have nothing to do with the very minor recoil of a handgun.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,950 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,258
Posts18,467,084
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.