Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
CSBfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I was just reminiscing on the old boy scout days (late 90's, early 2000's) of using a Kelty Super Tioga that I stupidly sold when I went off to college... it was a great pack and I've had to spend a lot of money to match its level of comfort in carrying heavy loads. And to this day nothing compares to its ability to carry awkward loads into the backcountry. Now that I have a family I really wish I'd held onto it.

I didn't hunt back then. But as I recall my pack was pretty robust. A far cry from most of what Kelty makes now. It was a serious load hauler. Kelty is definitely more of a budget brand now than it used to be.

But it got me thinking. Have any of you guys used Kelty packs in the past for hunting? I've thought about grabbing a quality older model off ebay for my son for when he gets a little older for hiking and camping - I'm thinking it might work pretty well for him hunting as well.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I still have a kelty I bought used in the 80s. when I have a heavy load it gets the nod over all my newer packs.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I had a kelty 50th anniversary external frame pack. It worked fine. Heaviest load was a half cow elk boned out. Almost more than I could pick up.

I've never used any of the top end stuff, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. That pack would work for any hunt and didn't break the bank.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used the Cabela's frame pack for taking in camp and hauling out meat. Very similar to my old Kelty used in Boy Scouts.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
My very first real backtrip to the Smoky Mountains in college (early 90's) was with one of those Kelty frame packs. I bought two. Girlfriend that the time used the other one. Used that frame pack for numerous hiking trips and some hunting. I made a hook on one of the external vertical legs of the frame to carry my rifle via the sling. Worked surprisingly well, although the packs were loud overall. Lot of metal and clanking and pins rattling.

I put them on some online sales place about 8 years ago for maybe $20/each. The guy who bought them...wanted them for the sole purpose of using them to haul out elk quarters. Leave them in camp, then come get them to haul out the meat. Which ironically I used to think was a valid methodology. However every time I killed an elk, I put the meat in whatever pack I had with me and never made an empty trip. The frame packs sat in the truck bed year after year. I wonder if he ever used them as intended.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep. We duct-taped the little pins so they wouldn’t rattle.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dont use a kelty, and never used one a lot.

I do still use a Barneys frame pack for the worst loads. I replaced most of the pins and rings with 1/4 x 20 bolts and nylocs. That took a lot of the squeak out of it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
I still have a kelty I bought used in the 80s. when I have a heavy load it gets the nod over all my newer packs.

For backpacking and heavy loads .. well, I try not to do that, but I have not discarded my old '80-vintage Tioga II. It simply trounces any internal frame pack I've ever seen. With today's gear there's not as much need for 50-60-70 pound loads backpacking. I mostly use a 65L internal frame pack. Still, it is comforting to know I have that old workhorse-on-steroids available if the need ever comes up. One change I plan to make is replacing the shoulder pads and waist belt with the much more padded versions from the current Kelty trekker as soon as those are back in stock.

For truly brutal loads .. in other words, meat, I think one of the dedicated meat haulers .. Eberlestock F1 Mainframe, Mystery Ranch, etc might be more comfortable and should be more durable. A guess.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I still have my '70s vintage Kelty Tioga frame from my Boy Scout days though the pack bag has long since rotted away. I've used the frame for packing out a few deer and elk over the years but it sits on the shelf these days.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My brother was the local Boy Scout Master in the 70's. We copied my Kelty frame by brazing electrical conduit. A saddle maker made the canvas packs. My T/M was donated as was everything else from local businesses. The pack frames are still in use today packing out Idaho game.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used a Kelty Cache Hauler to pack out two elk. It worked fine but I had it plus a day pack so I decided to upgrade to a single Mystery Ranch pack.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used one for years....great pack....ahead of its time.

Mine had the SS buckle on the waist belt that I wish other pack makers would copy as these plastic squeeze buckles are a PIA.
Should you fall in a creek with a load on your back, the Kelty buckle is quick to exit with cold, gloved hands.

I watch yard sales for old worn out Kelty packs and buy em for the buckle.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Yes, when I first got to AK I was on a tight budget, I got one in a second hand store and used it to haul several moose and caribou home. Thousands of pounds of meat came home on that pack for the years I used it. I recently gave it to a younger guy i work with who is trying to get his first moose.

I do still have a Barney’s frame around which has been a great upgrade and in my opinion it’s the best thing out there for hauling moose. Cam straps hold quarters on tight. It’s also great for hauling bear hides when you don’t want to grease up your nice internal frame hunting pack.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Used a Kelty for about 20 yrs. Bear finally chewed it up as I left it on a lakeshore while caribou hunting in Quebec. Had packed my first bull in the day before. Bought (orderd) a Kifaru Longhunter when I got home that I still have 22 yrs later. Much better for hunting and packing meat in rough country than the Kelty. Did upgrade to a newer Kifaru 6 years ago but used the old one for packing out bears in the spring and as a loaner for friends without a good pack.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Got my Kelty in '71 after going through several other external frame packs which did not hold up. Have replaced belt and shoulder straps twice as they get stiff with sweat and age. It is still going strong although I do not use it as much as I used to, having gone to internals. Last meat hauled was four caribou about 10 years back. Still works great.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have a Kelty Super Tioga Special Edition built on the “Through Hiker” frame. 20+ years old. Amazing pack. Came out just in time to be superseded by internal frames. I truly believe that if a hunting company came out with the same pack now and added some tactical features (molle webbing) people would rave. More stable with a heavy load than Kifaru or Seek Outside in my opinion.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by cwh2
Dont use a kelty, and never used one a lot.

I do still use a Barneys frame pack for the worst loads. I replaced most of the pins and rings with 1/4 x 20 bolts and nylocs. That took a lot of the squeak out of it.

This

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have two external frame Freighters that I use only for packing meat. The bag left a long time ago so I bag the pieces in game bags, then use paracord to tie the pieces to the frame. I can get an elk out easy in four trips, I used to do three, but at my age I am happy that I can get one out by myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an old external frame Kelty with a dual compartment bag that I cut the divider out of and bent a meat shelf out of EMT conduit. New waist band and shoulder straps and it’s still going strong 25 years later

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have been amused over the years at how the sight of my old Kelty frame pack draws in the other old hikers and climbers from the 60's and 70's. Great starter for trail conversations that can cover pitons, goldline and other classic gear.

As far as frame packs go, I believe the old early '70's Kelty's are as good as any ever made.

Last edited by outahere; 02/20/23.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.