M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Thanks. Good info

John Linebaugh is having another “get together” this June…..you should come on down! It should be a good time! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
BP-B2

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Finally watched the video yesterday……very good! Shows that almost anything can go wrong at any time! I listened very carefully for the young lady to suggest that having a semi auto would’ve given a much better “feel good” moment! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If that was the video with the wounded bear and the two people basically unarmed, then a single shot rifle would have changed their world. A dangerous situation would have been just a good story to tell. Even a 270 :-)

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WMR
If that was the video with the wounded bear and the two people basically unarmed, then a single shot rifle would have changed their world. A dangerous situation would have been just a good story to tell. Even a 270 :-)

A .454 Casull is a pretty darn good stopping cartridge (and he was using good bullets)……you just gotta put them where needed! An adrenaline fueled “anything” is hard to stop……especially a big Brown or Grizzly! memtb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are such a woman.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
You are such a woman.

I doubt you could EVER carry my jock strap...your need to question your inner urges through projection and other mental handicaps, only you can grasp is sad. A pathetic little man on a hubristic journey to the center of the Earth, hoping to find a drop of testosterone in his own scrotum.

And failing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are such a woman.

Understand, you just crossed a border and you are now on a special list. I will never put up with the slightest bullshit from a pathetic POS like you. Nothing is out of bounds and you are now a total POS.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We're dispatching a WHHANNBULANCE to your location.

Be sure to put on your slippers and housecoat.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just a simple 45 -70 Marlin guide rifle open sights with a sling just a good back up and light to carry rifle . i would think when your hunting a big bear in a Alaska why would only have one rifle ? forget the bow they were rookies with limited experience they were really lucky to live . hopefully they learned a lesson always bring a spare rifle with ammo and don`t bring some odd ball cartridge rifle either !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
just a simple 45 -70 Marlin guide rifle open sights with a sling just a good back up and light to carry rifle . i would think when your hunting a big bear in a Alaska why would only have one rifle ? forget the bow they were rookies with limited experience they were really lucky to live . hopefully they learned a lesson always bring a spare rifle with ammo and don`t bring some odd ball cartridge rifle either !

If you’re referring to the Stuck in the Rut video and crew, they’re hardly “rookies with limited experience”. I do find it amusing though that by your own admission, your closest call involved a griz sow and cubs that ran away while still 60 or so feet out and a black bear at 10 feet that did same, yet you’re critiquing folks who have hunted, shot and killed multiple brown/grizzly bears in AK and constantly hunt in the thick of Idaho’s panhandle griz areas.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;
Good afternoon my friend, I trust the weekend was a tolerable one for you and your start of the week has been behaving.

Once again I'll say up front that my grizzly experience in next to nothing so let's be clear about that for sure and certain.

Your mention of the Idaho panhandle isn't insignificant as our Kootenay grizzly bears have been instigating more and more incidents since the leftist provincial government shut off the grizzly season to buy off the Green Party. They admitted they had no scientific reason for it as well, it was all politics T...

Good of them to come clean and all that. crazy

Anyways, the Kootenay grizzly bears are likely as aware of the medicine line as our local elk, sheep, whitetail and mulies that head south into Washington and the turkeys and Fox squirrels that come north, which is to say not at all.

Lots of stories coming out of there these days though, for sure some anecdotal and some that get loud, sporty and graphic which make the news at 5:00 type.

Again I'm not sure about the disposition of the Alaska ones, but buddy who spends the summer in the Yukon is of the opinion the grizzlies up there might be better behaved than ours down here and to the east.

It pays to pay attention regardless, that's beyond dispute I'd think? wink

Best to you this week my friend.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/20/23.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good day to you too Dwayne…it is commonly referenced that hunted grizzly bears behave better around people than unhunted bears, and I am sure there is some truth to that.

I have however, experienced both ‘nice’ and ‘not so nice’ inland grizzlies, in the lower 48, as well as remote Yukon and Alaska. I guess a guy can catch them in about any kind of mood. Maybe the hunted bears in the Yukon and Alaska that I have been around simply hadn’t been around many people before and therefor may have been ‘unhunted’???

I dunno but a couple sure reminds me of lower 48 bears.

I have limited experience with brown bears though have seen them closer than I’d prefer. They ‘behaved’ but I also didn’t try to take their steak supper away from them…

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Thanks. Good info

John Linebaugh is having another “get together” this June…..you should come on down! It should be a good time! memtb

That would be fun and embarrassing for me. I sold my .475 Linebaugh and don't know if I can lift a revolver yet. I had shoulder surgery a little bit ago on my shooting arm. My only 2 large calibers are a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt and an Anaconda in 44 mag.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by memtb
Thanks. Good info

That would be fun and embarrassing for me. I sold my .475 Linebaugh and don't know if I can lift a revolver yet. I had shoulder surgery a little bit ago on my shooting arm. My only 2 large calibers are a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt and an Anaconda in 44 mag.

Just a Hunter, I guess that you hadn’t seen the recents posts about John……he passed away yesterday afternoon! Truly a sad time for all who knew him and for the firearms folks in general! memtb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No. Is it on another thread? I never met him, but admired his work.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
No. Is it on another thread? I never met him, but admired his work.

Yes…..over in handguns and on the Hunters Campfire! memtb

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
After much reading and deliberation of posts by people with far more experience than me, I'm leaning to minimum .308/.30-06 with 165TSX or 180 grain bonded bullets, preferably heavier. This would be in a handy light weight rifle like an M70 FWT with either an Aimpoint or a low-powered scope on top. These bullets are relatively easier to come by for those cartridges. Handloading would be 180TSX or 200-220NP or Swift A-Frames or something similar. It's good to have options. Also IME many people in the north have .223, .308/.30-06 or some other .30 caliber.

I had a Marlin Guide Gun, but factory ammo up here was only Hornady Leverevolution or the trap door loads. Also I felt like the Marlins would be a PITA for field maintenance, and maybe a PITA to load and unload around machines all the time. A Model 70 field strips with no tools. So does an 870 to a point. I replaced the Marlin with a stainless boat paddle Ruger Mark II in .338WM with iron sights and bought some 250 grain Nosler Partitions.

We used to carry shotguns but the Foster slugs we were issued tells me people didn't really know enough. IMO they were kept around partly for the rubber bullet option. When a problem bear had to be dealt with, the old SMLE went out to do it.

As to slugs, there's a guy on YT named Brobee that tested both the Brennekes and the Federal Tru-Ball Deep Penetrator and found them about even. If I was forced to carry a shotgun, I'd look for either of those. Heard good things about the challengers, but haven't seen any tests. One thing that bothers me is if you stop a charge ay point blank with a 12 gauge and the wounded bear puts distance between you. What about the potential danger for everyone else? Once hit squarely at spitting distance, I think I would have to ensure that the bear was dead, and wouldn't stop firing until I knew there was no longer a threat.

Tikkas have enclosed triggers and are accepted around the north as robust arctic rifles. The only video I've seen of a Model 70 trigger freezing up was the old style open trigger, in the arctic no less. No reports that I can find on the new FN trigger. It seems simple enough, and FN doesn't make crap. You'd think some military experience may have factored into the design. Canadian Ranger rifle is a Tikka with laminate stock and was selected for northerners in remote conditions after a lot of consultation, deliberation and testing.

Also I'd prefer a .338WM or .375H&H if I could hump the weight all day. Given one day at the range with 500 grain .458WM and Lotts kicked the crap out of me in four rounds, a .458WM is probably too much for me but I like the idea of using 350grain TSX handloads. The .375H&H is night and day easier on me and I suppose a .458 with similar bullet weights would emulate that. But then why not just stick with the .375?

Iron sights are handier and I'd like them as backup, but not essential. Aimpoints in QD mounts can be changed for Leupolds in QD rings if one or the other fails. Some people I've spoken with in the arctic don't like scopes at all - probably with good reason as arctic climates are hell on gear. Rifle sights get bumped and broken off too though, and aren't easily replaceable. Perhaps one needs a scope to back up the irons! smile But I'm way quicker on point with an optic of some sort and both eyes open, and sometimes it's hard to spot the front sight. I think a ghost ring with an orange or brass post front sight (white would suck in the snow) is quicker, but still not as fast. A 70 FWT with an Aimpoint Micro works about as fast as a shotgun with a bead.

It would be pretty cool if Leupold made a 1x30mm version of the FX-II 2.5x20mm. I have that scope on the .375H&H. Both eyes are doable, the 5" eye relief is great and fairly forgiving, and it's simple and rugged.

With any luck, future bears will either not be interested in me or the other options (bangers, spray) will work first. So far all of the above have applied. Nice to see them when on walkabout, and I don't wish them any harm. They help make make wilderness wild and remind us of a planet with stuff going on where we are generally not.

I like the post reminding us that radios and medical kits are just as important. So is a giant orange flag.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 03/24/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by cwh2
In bear country, I worry about shooting high if charged.

Maybe don't smoke (so much) pot. Grin.

LOL, man that's funny!

KB

Yeah, don't be high when shooting.

Texas
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about you not being a deliberately stupid D A...or are your transitioning drugs to be a male affecting your womanhood ??

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just got an m&p mold they'll casts around 420g for my 45/70. It's got all the pin sets so I am going to cast some cup point ones with about a 15 hardness lead. They will be for my marlin guide gun.

I used to carry Hornady 350g flat noses at almost 2100 fps but the recoil is too much. My plinking load has been a cast 340g lee powder coated and it's much more manageable so I planned to load the new heavier cup point cast to about 1500 as well.

I regret selling my bfr 475 linebaugh sometimes but it was heavy and had a 7.5" barrel so I never carried it. When I decided to get away from it I sold a rossi 92 in 480 that I had as well. I wasn't casting at the time or I probably would have kept it. I still have a 420g mold for the 480 and I'll bet that little 92 would have done well with a moderate loaded 420g.

Bb

Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
369 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.