-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not terribly turkey related, but whatever. Here's February's calendar from the Virginia DWR wildlife calendar. Some of the stuff they put on it is kinda intersting.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 02/07/23.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Skunks are nest robbing egg sucking little bastages. They rank right there with raccoons, armadillos and coyotes in my book as shoot on sight targets every legal chance I get.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep.

February is the skunk rut.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hate a skunk for sure. Smelled a few around the house in the last few weeks but have not seen them. I kill every armadillo I see, I hate them as well. Don't see many yotes or coons around the house.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lots of stuff associated with spring starts in February here. Spring may be born on March 20, but its heart starts beating in February.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They’ve been stinking it up around here for a week or so. Caught one on my game camera in the yard, a first.

Back when I was working (!) there were dead ones all over the road this time of year, just like bucks in late October.

Haven’t heard any foxes yowling yet.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
February is always an adventure, here.

Have 2 male Rotts inside 5 acres of invisible fence. Only thing that crosses that 5 acres and lives has to be faster than the dogs. Skunks ain't that fast. The older dog, especially......... He takes his spraying then tears the stinker in two pieces. EVERY TIME. Two pieces. And usually within 50 feet of the house. 😒

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This thread needs a picture of Pepe LaPew... but I'm not good at posting pictures

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Loudon Wainright III would be so proud !!!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Skunks, possums, coons, coyotes, and a few others that I can't mention are considered as shoot on sight.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Loudon Wainright III would be so proud !!!

Will not be getting laid tomorrow night.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
side rambling story...

I worked with a guy that grew up on the northern edge of MN and where you can only drink, fish on lake of the woods, or if you can find a woman.. .you Fu**.

This life was known as DFF

So one activity was everyone jumps into a car with the weapon of their choice and beer and go skunk hunting.

When you found a skunk, you would jump out and fill it with lead.

Eventually they quit doing this because they realized the combination of Booze, Guns, and Skunks was going to go awry sometime.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a dog that would kill skunks and not even get stunk up much. Cassie what a killer!Part Shepard and part Heeler. Bad ass dog.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Lol!

I was set up on a side hill early one April morning with birds roosted all around me. As it got lighter and lighter, I noticed movement down in the bottom below me. Eventually, I could make out the form of a pretty good sized skunk headed my way. Not wanting to disturb the birds roosted around me, I picked up stones, within an arms reach, and started throwing them at the skunk hoping to get it to move out of there. No luck! First couple stones it looked around and then started heading my way again. It got close enough to me, that if it sprayed, I'd get it! So I started throwing stones harder and now trying to hit it. It stopped, postured, but thankfully, didn't spray! Finally, it turned around and waddled away. But I must have attracted the birds attention too as they all flew down away from me. Oh well, at least I didn't get sprayed on. Then I started looking around, as it was much lighter out now, and noticed there were morel mushrooms all around me. I carry a couple gallon sized zip lock bags just for this purpose, as the property always has some nice morels around, and filled up both bags. I did give one bag of mushrooms to the property owner knowing they loved them! Eventually got a bird on that trip and was skunk free after that one incident.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.