Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
It's like they said "how could we make the ugliest action possible," and didn't stop designing until finally adding a butt plug bolt handle.

I'm curious with Remington 700s becoming available once again and the economy seemingly not on the best footing, if the custom action market will cool off.

Was discussing the ARC models earlier today with SKANE as a result of the huge price increases on the Defiance anTi and Tenacity. While the ARC may be fine actions, they are about as hidilous looking as it gets. I'd rather spend my money on a blueprinted Rem 700 than any of the ARC actions.

Differents strokes. Personally, I like them. Would like them better without the integral rail. Love the bolt-shroud.

Tarquin
BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by AKduck
It’s as “ugly” as all the other custom actions folks gush over. Only ugly I see is the bolt knob and you can change that out.

-gasp- glory be…..they offer nitride without charging more or adding wait time.

It all sounds a little silly doesn't it? I guess some folks are all about the look, you don't hear them discussing the pros and cons of actions actual features do you?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
When the owner of the company talks like this, he is assured of my business...

But in regards to bolt actions specifically, I can only surmise that my competitors are just not proficient makers and that their prices reflect their inefficiencies. So all I ask from you, the customer, is that you pass judgement. Evaluate the offerings honestly and critically. Reward with your dollars those who perform. I think you'll make the right decision.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wasn't his Mausingfield the most expensive commonly available action when it came out.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by kingston
Wasn't his Mausingfield the most expensive commonly available action when it came out.

May very well have been so but based on the options and specifications it offered, it was, and remains, unique in the marketplace. Adding features like CRF, built in recoil lugs etc didn't come cheap. I believe it raised the bar for other action manufacturers and ARC has consistently improved their offerings to where they are today.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One redeeming quality is the name, which may prove to be a harbinger of things to come for Defiance as this action pulls sales which otherwise may have been destined for a Tenacity.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by REDVANES
Originally Posted by 257Bob
As other have said, Hawkins Hunter is what I used on my last build, really secure magazine latch, takes a good bit of effort to release mag, flat bottom, no big mag in the way. I carry a cheap polymer in my pack for a quick reload if needed but not really necessary.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102437975?pid=912178
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024379340?pid=376361

FYI, to anybody interested. I am a dealer and I sell these.... I also offer FREE SHIPPING

I can attest that the Midway Nitro Express shipping has nothing on REDVANES. laugh

Yes, He got me a couple delivered real quick !

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The rest of that post was even better.

"Thanks for the kind words.

I've always had reverence for companies, or more appropriately teams of smart people, that can offer amazing products at prices that reflect the vestiges of capitalism and the specialization of labor. As an example, pull your phone from your pocket and call someone on the other side of the planet, or disassemble your Glock, or drive your car. And all this still in a world retarded by the unnecessary friction that is corrupt, unjust governance. Imaging a world with less friction efficiently pushing back against entropy. The possibilities are awe inspiring.

But in regards to bolt actions specifically, I can only surmise that my competitors are just not proficient makers and that their prices reflect their inefficiencies. So all I ask from you, the customer, is that you pass judgement. Evaluate the offerings honestly and critically. Reward with your dollars those who perform. I think you'll make the right decision.

Ted"

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The proof of any actions worth is how it performs and functions. That's what separates reality from rhetoric.

When buying any action that's outside of the norm as regards the firing pin, cocking piece and other one off pieces, I'd encourage buyers to purchase any of those item that may be needed as spares in the future.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps the Fieldcrafts with the recent Barrett sale would be a perfect example of that. May be hard finding those parts in the event you need one.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sourcing of parts is a really good question and it seems that subject isn't often thought of when building custom rifles. What will happen 20 years in the future if the manufacturer of a one off custom action is out of business? One only has to look back to rifles of yesteryear to see the issue. If a person wanted a custom rifle 60 years ago and decided to use a Pre-64 Model 70 or Mauser 98, parts are still available even today. If they had chosen a Shultz & Larsen 54 action for their build, I suspect parts would be a wee bit more difficult to find. That's for full on production actions, not actions from a small shop. Maybe something to think about when contemplating a custom.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sourcing of parts is a really good question and it seems that subject isn't often thought of when building custom rifles. What will happen 20 years in the future if the manufacturer of a one off custom action is out of business? One only has to look back to rifles of yesteryear to see the issue. If a person wanted a custom rifle 60 years ago and decided to use a Pre-64 Model 70 or Mauser 98, parts are still available even today. If they had chosen a Shultz & Larsen 54 action for their build, I suspect parts would be a wee bit more difficult to find. That's for full on production actions, not actions from a small shop. Maybe something to think about when contemplating a custom.

This is spot on. For this reason, I think there's still a place for factory actions produced in mass and used as a custom.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
To each, his own. I don't think its a bad looking action and ARC makes some really, really quality innovative stuff.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The reason I mention sourcing parts is because I've been in that situation with a custom action.

Fortunately, the firing pin, spring and cocking piece were modified XP100 . With a bit of machine work, I was able to get the action back in service. 15 years later, it's still going strong.

There's a lot to be said for how the Kelbly's and others do their actions..designed around the 700 ignition pieces.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Al,
You speak wise words. Suspect a lot of rifle builds are done with the action du jour with not a lot of long term planning on whether parts or components will be available in the future.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Al,
You speak wise words. Suspect a lot of rifle builds are done with the action du jour with not a lot of long term planning on whether parts or components will be available in the future.

I just bought a 700 foot print action for a new built that uses non-700 ignition pieces.

Any guess as to what else is on the way? grin -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Preorder starts tomorrow. ARC is going to be a busy shop for a bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard on the eyes. For those that are ordering one? What project you planning to put together?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
467 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.