[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A handsome dude..

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

BP-B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 30338
Always wanted to try an airedale. Have seen them on a number of mountain trails. Seem like a solid breed. Post a few pics of your's if you can.

If they were good enough for Zane Grey, they're good enough for me.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Tonight

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How's he at moving cattle?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve had and hunted with plenty of ‘versatile’ breeds. Loved every one of them. I’ve still come back around to a lab with some good, Brit hunting lineage for true ‘versatility’…..they’ve done about everything I could think of for a dog to try…..yeah, my last one even herded the heck out of cattle the first time he was ever asked to. I love most any sporting or even true working breed. I just like to own good labs….but they are like a 30-06….they’re so good at everything, they get hated on. wink

I will say that I had a liver roan Brittany that looked like a GWP, that was pretty dang good at most everything, too.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/04/23.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
German Wachtelhund

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend asked me to let his dogs out for a bit this afternoon as he was working late. A Cesky fousek and a GWP, both dogs I have hunted with a fair bit.
The 2yo Wirehair came out of his crate like a hummingbird on redbull, seriously levitating and making crazy noises. The 11yo Cesky was only slightly slower, yet incredibly louder with a high pitched whine.
They proceeded to destroy the water dish, garbage, and coffee table, along with knocking over two chairs. They jumped and scratched at the back door til I was able to shove them out of the way and let them out.

They ran laps around the back yard in the snow and jumped up to head level as they passed me every time. The GWP tried to jump on me, but I was waiting for it and dropped him with a yelp. The Cesky started howling at a car that had the audacity to drive by and the Wirehair barked at him just to add to the ambiance.
Versatile AF!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Most any dog can be pretty "versatile" if provided some training and given a chance. The afore mentioned Continental breeds are best known for such work hence their often being referenced as "Versatile breeds".

Other breeds can do a decent job of working outside of the boxes many place them. My English setters and one Pointer have all been expected to and have provided yeoman work retrieving from both land and water. This includes multiple marks though more than two gets to be challenging for many of the dogs I've had. 4 land marks has been the tops and that was not always a sure thing though it was more often than not. They have also been taught to run lines and take hand signals which is invaluable for blind retrieves and to control the dogs when around spooky birds. It also has come in handy in "herding" cattle though it is not herding in the traditional sense. They have been introduced to trailing since pups to not only run down crippled birds on land and water but also blood trail larger game such as deer and bear. Two years ago my current setter conducted a mile and a half trail of a buch that a neighbor shot in the jaw. We lost the deer when it crossed into a state sanctuary where we were not allowed to go.

Pointers can be pretty sharp on fur too, though I believe my setters learned such from the wirehairs. My first setter would bark at fur if it did not sit for a point but the others would be right in the mix when it came to fighting raccoons, fox, woodchucks, muskrats, skunks, and the like. A few times coyotes were bayed and bobcats and grey fox being treed with the latter two generally getting a pass if seasons were closed. I chased coyotes with greyhounds once and a coyote has its work cut out for it to lose hunting dogs as they are willing and able to use their noses when the coyote ducks out of sight.

That is not to mention various mutts that are out there too. I haven't had one that I couldn't teach to poke around in cover to flush whatever may be there though many appear to not realize their purpose. The current hunting mutt is a Pitbull/Aussie heeler or Shepard mix that has turned into a decent flushing dog. Despite its bloodlines it is not aggressive on fur at all though it doesn't mind sounding off if coyotes or vermin are around. I think it is more fear than protection as it runs for the protection of the other dogs if whatever is being barked at alters course towards it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always had Labs and the reason why is their hunting versatility and disposition as a family dog but the best dog I've ever seen for hunting versatility done right was a big German Shorthair Pointer named Ace.

Upland or waterfowl, he not only excelled at both he did it right every time. Upland, he was, "steady to shot and wing", no covey busting, would honor another dogs point and soft mouth retrieved to hand all day. Waterfowl, he was as good as any retriever I've ever seen and cold water didn't bother him. Watching that dog made any hunt better.

I was thinking my next dog would be a German Shorthair but the old guy who owned Ace was a German Shorthair fan and had owned several. He said as much as he liked the breed Ace was an exception when it came to waterfowl and he'd never had another one like him.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 02/07/23.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have a Drahthaar that I am very happy with. He is awesome in the house, will kill vermin when he comes across it, points birds and ranges about 100 yards while doing it. He is really good in the duck blind and is great at blood tracking.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had an English pointer that would point birds, find the dead-wounded quail. You could take her dove hunting, as good as any lab at retrieving doves. She would hit the water after ducks too. She was the best hunting dog I ever owned. She would sit, stay, heel, roll over with hand signals. She was an all white daughter of Millers Chief, didn’t run big, was a foot dog. We all cried when she passed at 15 yrs old. Her name was Maggie. That Chris Stapleton “ Maggie’s Song” gets to me.

Last edited by hanco; 02/09/23.
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by h4everything
I have a Drahthaar that I am very happy with. He is awesome in the house, will kill vermin when he comes across it, points birds and ranges about 100 yards while doing it. He is really good in the duck blind and is great at blood tracking.

Where is your dog from out of curiosity?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
GWPGUY,

Drathaars and German Wirehaired Pointers are one and the same with different registries one in Germany and one in North America. They have different testing standards but the basis is pretty similar with Drathaars tracking blood (mammalian) and killing small vermin (fox originally but coons and cats have been used - in NA PETA has altered this somewhat). I’ve have GWPs from the mid 80s until 2012. Lost our ruffed grouse population in PA and my knees are getting bad so I gave them up. They are awesome dogs when the breeding is good. I’ve had plenty of friends with Drathaars (which my GWPs came from). I used to train and judge in NAVHDA and have been exposed to “all” the versatile breeds and the GWP/Drathaar was my favorite but I have seen fantastic specimens from all the breeds. They all have their peculiarities and their own breed’s tendencies. If you want a versatile dog and have an idea of the breed I’d hunt with them and see if that’s what you’re after and if possible attend a NAVHDA/VDD (where Drathaars are tested) test and see multiple breeds working. As the photos of all the breeds shown here illustrate they can indeed be trained to do a bunch of different things. One thing about GWP/Drathaars is that they can be “sharp” (i.e. aggressive - of course not all are but they can be and I’ve seen more than a few that were) and if you do not understand animal behavior it can lead to issues.

Good luck!!

PennDog

MBogo2106 - beautiful dog - that’s what mine looked like and I always said my female was as close to a wolf as a dog could be - she was a stone cold hunter/killer and the only dog I ever met that caught multiple grouse in her lifetime!!

Last edited by PennDog; 02/09/23.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by hanco
I had an English pointer that would point birds, find the dead-wounded quail. You could take her dove hunting, as good as any lab at retrieving doves. She would hit the water after ducks too. She was the best hunting dog I ever owned. She would sit, stay, heel, roll over with hand signals. She was an all white daughter of Millers Chief, didn’t run big, was a foot dog. We all cried when she passed at 15 yrs old. Her name was Maggie. That Chris Stapleton “ Maggie’s Song” gets to me.

My buddy had an English Pointer, I shot many limits over him. He was a tremendous dog and would hunt until he couldn't any longer. That dog was incredible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My drahts are 6 and 3 now. One goes 82 pounds and one 78 pounds. They listen well as I cut them no slack in regards to obeying commands. They are wonderful in the field, on the water, and mostly calm around the house. They are fiercely loyal and love members of the family. And my wife has no issues handling them when I am gone. I don't get lots of opportunities to have them around kids but when they are, they have been very gentle. As others have mentioned, a solid choice in this category.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 30338; 02/10/23.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Originally Posted by hanco

My buddy had an English Pointer, I shot many limits over him. He was a tremendous dog and would hunt until he couldn't any longer. That dog was incredible.

I had better bird finders than Maggie, hunted her with a big pointer. He covered lots of ground, could work running birds, wasn’t a good retriever. Maggie and Buster were a perfect pair. I was done with quail hunting after they were gone. I probably had 50 dogs the 25 years I quail hunted, but became super attached to those two.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by PennDog
GWPGUY,

Drathaars and German Wirehaired Pointers are one and the same with different registries one in Germany and one in North America. They have different testing standards but the basis is pretty similar with Drathaars tracking blood (mammalian) and killing small vermin (fox originally but coons and cats have been used - in NA PETA has altered this somewhat). I’ve have GWPs from the mid 80s until 2012. Lost our ruffed grouse population in PA and my knees are getting bad so I gave them up. They are awesome dogs when the breeding is good. I’ve had plenty of friends with Drathaars (which my GWPs came from). I used to train and judge in NAVHDA and have been exposed to “all” the versatile breeds and the GWP/Drathaar was my favorite but I have seen fantastic specimens from all the breeds. They all have their peculiarities and their own breed’s tendencies. If you want a versatile dog and have an idea of the breed I’d hunt with them and see if that’s what you’re after and if possible attend a NAVHDA/VDD (where Drathaars are tested) test and see multiple breeds working. As the photos of all the breeds shown here illustrate they can indeed be trained to do a bunch of different things. One thing about GWP/Drathaars is that they can be “sharp” (i.e. aggressive - of course not all are but they can be and I’ve seen more than a few that were) and if you do not understand animal behavior it can lead to issues.

Good luck!!

PennDog

MBogo2106 - beautiful dog - that’s what mine looked like and I always said my female was as close to a wolf as a dog could be - she was a stone cold hunter/killer and the only dog I ever met that caught multiple grouse in her lifetime!!

Penn,thanks. He’s the best dog I’ve had and I’ve had a bunch. I also have a female that I’m testing this year with the hopes of someday bringing about my own litters. My dog is actually a litter mate to 30338’s. The braunschimmel one in his pictures. Amazing sometimes at the variation of the coats and even colors. Mine is braunschimmel as well but he’s so dark he’s almost black. I just finished a Seminar today to become a judge in the JGHV and I tell you I’m sold on the German hunt test system. I’ll be taking my male through his VGP this fall and then I can start apprentice judging.
Here’s my female. She just turned eight months old

image hosting services

Last edited by Mbogo2106; 02/11/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damned few around but I'm impressed by West Siberian Laikas.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.