Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
I shot a wounded black bear once from less than 20’ as it ran towards me. In the chest with a 510gr WW SP from my 458. Bear rolled, changed direction and ran 50 or more yards before stopping dead, happened so fast I didn’t have time to shoot again. 6 1/2’ black bear.

A buddy shot a charging 7 foot grizzly in the center chest with a WW white box 240 SP out of a 6” 44 magnum from about 40-50 feet. He folded and died instantly, never twitched.

I shot another wounded black bear that was over 6 feet with a 150 Norma out of my 300 Savage, he rolled and never moved.

A good friend killed a 6 1/2’ grizzly that was trying to eat him once in the eye socket from 12 feet with his 2” 44 Special with 250gr Keith style bullet doing about 900fps. He too folded up and never twitched.

Watched a guy shoot a small, 4’ 4” black bear through the shoulders with a 45/70 and 325gr Hornady Leverevolution factory loads. It ran 40 or 50 yards at high speed before rolling and flopping around bawling for a while before dying, had a 3” exit hole through the scapula.

Watched a guy shoot a 5 foot bear through the chest with a 375 H&H with Federal premium 300gr Partition ammo. It died pretty quickly but the bullet was perfectly mushroomed and under the hide on the off side. 60 yard shot and didn’t even hit a rib.

Another guy shot a 7 foot grizzly repeatedly through the chest with a 20” 458Socom and Barnes 300ttsx bullets. It didn’t charge or run thankfully because it looked like it had been killed with a .458 diameter drill bit.

On other occasions even bigger black bears would fold right up with a well placed shot from a 100gr 243 or a 130 out of a 270. This plus many other examples I witnessed told me that the only thing that could be counted on to absolutely stop one now either coming or going was a spine or head shot. Everything else is hope and speculation

What you say is very true! My thoughts on this topic are, the greater the penetration ….the higher the possibility of hitting vital organs, perhaps even something CNS related! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have only killed bears with my bow and shotgun, typically over bait. Killing a bear over bait with a rifle is like taking candy from a baby lol

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/07/23.

KB

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I have only killed bears with my bow and shotgun, typically over bait. Killing a bear over bait with a rifle is like taking candy from a baby lol

KB

Absolutely! But an injured, enraged, sow with cubs, defending a cache, ect…..may not be so easily stopped! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/07/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
True enough!

Whenever I am Elk hunting in Grizz country I carry this in my hands and my bow my back.

When I kill and animal in Grizz country and am skinning it out and quartering it, my shotgun is within arms reach!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KB

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
True enough!

Whenever I am Elk hunting in Grizz country I carry this in my hands and my bow my back.

When I kill and animal in Grizz country and am skinning it out and quartering it, my shotgun is within arms reach!

Much, much better than nutt’n ….especially since you folks can’t (or very difficult) own a handgun! memtb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by memtb
True enough!

Much, much better than nutt’n ….especially since you folks can’t (or very difficult) own a handgun! memtb

In this Stupid Country, you can not carry a hand gun for defense, unless you are a trapper I believe.

Besides when it comes to Grizz or a big black bear or Cougar defense I much prefer my Mossy 88 Defender with 5 rounds of 3" Magnum 00 Buckshot than a revolver.

KB

KB

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Stopping a attacking bear.... assuming one is not hunting bears, pre se.

If thats the case, a shotgun would be preferred, Mostly foolproof and accurate enough for close encounters, keeping in mind one is lucky to get off more than one, maybe two shots if a bear attacks.

Hunting bears is completely different and if one gets attacked while hunting bears, then I would be unquestioning their choice of recreation.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Soooooo, no one is gonna choose a semi auto 10 mm over the big bore rifles!

Though, I surprised that no one choose one of the big bore revolvers. Easier to carry than the rifle as it can be on person at all times while working around camp, ect., faster follow up shots if you have time for a follow up shot than a bolt gun. Though a double rifle would be faster than all others…..for two shots. And….the big bore revolvers out penetrated most of the rifles. Penetration is a nice thing to have on a large animal….more penetration generally means more stuff damaged!

I’d suggest that this test shows the big bore revolvers can hold their on and certainly be effective in a defense situation. Perhaps even superior in some situations! memtb

Considering the 4 "P's", if one cant get the first one right, the other 3 dont matter, and generally speaking pistols/revolvers are the most difficult to shoot quickly with good placement.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
True enough!

In this Stupid Country, you can not carry a hand gun for defense, unless you are a trapper I believe.

Besides when it comes to Grizz or a big black bear or Cougar defense I much prefer my Mossy 88 Defender with 5 rounds of 3" Magnum 00 Buckshot than a revolver.

KB

I actually expected that to be your response! A shotgun makes perfect sense for those under handgun restrictions.

However, when doing camp chores, field dressing game, ect., is the shotgun “ALWAYS” at arm’s length. While somewhat unlikely, bear attacks can be almost instantaneous….giving near zero response time to get to the long gun. A handgun can be easily/comfortably carried in a “cross-chest” carry type holster while doing most any chore! Even if downed by the bear…..there is a chance, albeit small, you may be able to access the handgun. That shotgun leaning against a nearby tree….maybe not! memtb

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by johnn

Though, I surprised that no one choose one of the big bore revolvers. Easier to carry than the rifle as it can be on person at all times while working around camp, ect., faster follow up shots if you have time for a follow up shot than a bolt gun. Though a double rifle would be faster than all others…..for two shots. And….the big bore revolvers out penetrated most of the rifles. Penetration is a nice thing to have on a large animal….more penetration generally means more stuff damaged!

I’d suggest that this test shows the big bore revolvers can hold their on and certainly be effective in a defense situation. Perhaps even superior in some situations! memtb

Considering the 4 "P's", if one cant get the first one right, the other 3 dont matter, and generally speaking pistols/revolvers are the most difficult to shoot quickly with good placement.

So, your recommendations would be…..do not resist fate, embrace the inevitable that you will be bear scat? Some folks would prefer to attempt survival! memtb

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J

So, your recommendations would be…..do not resist fate, embrace the inevitable that you will be bear scat? Some folks would prefer to attempt survival! memtb

Haha, bears gotta make a living too... read previous post.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

Haha, bears gotta make a living too... read previous post.

John, My apologies….I missed that post! However, I fervently disagree with a long gun for a stopping/defense firearm…..unless it is in hand at all times! Easily done if only hunting/hiking, ect.…..impractical perhaps impossible when doing other outdoor activities! 😉 me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
True enough!

KB

I actually expected that to be your response! A shotgun makes perfect sense for those under handgun restrictions.

However, when doing camp chores, field dressing game, ect., is the shotgun “ALWAYS” at arm’s length. While somewhat unlikely, bear attacks can be almost instantaneous….giving near zero response time to get to the long gun. A handgun can be easily/comfortably carried in a “cross-chest” carry type holster while doing most any chore! Even if downed by the bear…..there is a chance, albeit small, you may be able to access the handgun. That shotgun leaning against a nearby tree….maybe not! memtb

If I Were in your situation in the USA where pistols were permissible, this is what I would have as my sidearm:

A Colt Python 357 Magnum with the heaviest rounds I could get!

KB

KB

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
😂😂😂! memtb

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
True enough!

KB

That is exactly what happened to me, bear comes in rifle against a tree out of reach. 475 Linebaugh which was in a shoulder holster did the trick

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were fishing or doing things that would make a rifle not handy, I’d pick my 629 with heavy flat nose cast. Otherwise I would stick with a Marlin 336 in 45-70 - same style of bullet, heavy flat nose cast. But! If I were doing something that would not work well with a rifle, I’d be having my 629 on my hip and have my 45-70 close by if possible.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In bear country, I worry about shooting high if charged.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
I have a sling on my 500 mossy, short barrel and birds beak, pretty easy to carry. Sometimes carry a mdl 29 in a chest holster, which is what I would carry if rifle hunting.
This all boils down to the situation and awareness, I have yet to have a bear come through camp, I know it can happen.... Most of the times I see bears they are headed the other way...
I may or may not wear a handgun in camp, usually not.

I have had concerns at night when in a tent as a shotgun would be unhandy, handgun is kept close, bear has the advantage...so it goes in the wilds, no guarantees your not going to be scat..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
True enough!

KB

That is exactly what happened to me, bear comes in rifle against a tree out of reach. 475 Linebaugh which was in a shoulder holster did the trick

Unless above timberline (Cascades and North Cascades) I always carry a big bore revolver sidearm, usually a SA.

Not as confident with my 629 as am with my SRH with a heavy projectile.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
In bear country, I worry about shooting high if charged.

I was watching a video by a British Columbia hunting guide who was addressing that very subject. He explained how that was more usual than not, "shooting high" against a charging bear.

He said he advises hunters who find themselves in that situation, to immediately drop to one knee, putting the hunter's head and rifle at the same level as the charging bear's head and chest and then firing. He claims that is very effective.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.