Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I try not to do this crap but it's over my head.

GFs some came home on leave from Italy. He's a maintainer in the Air Force.

Noticed a rash. Went back 2 weeks ago and got looked at. Just got a call. 99% sure leukemia. Bone marrow biopsy tomorrow.

Assume it is.

AF sends him CONUS? Where? We have large VA hospital in town, would it be here?

How does his treatment get covered? AF cover that as he's 2 years into a 4 year enlistment? They med retire him? Let the VA handle it?

Bit of a loss here, trying to keep the GF sane and come up with some sort of answers.

Me

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It's been my experience the service will provide treatment initially, at a facility of their choosing, could be an airforce hospital but most likely a civilian hospital. Once the active component determines he is not, nor likely will not be deployable (the key word), he'll be medically discharged and moved to the VA for further treatment. Just my experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would guess in your case yes, it will be the VA.

Good childhood friend of mine who spent 35 years working as a civilian contractor at Aberdeen Proving Grounds testing, among other things, lots of depleted uranium rounds. Has just been diagnosed with Leukemia, and they have him slated for an aggressive chemo treatment at Johns Hopkins.

Hope it works out well for the young man Teal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No words, sorry Andrew !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very sorry to hear this.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
VA will treat him

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Teal

Noticed a rash. Went back 2 weeks ago and got looked at. Just got a call. 99% sure leukemia. Bone marrow biopsy tomorrow.

Assume it is.

How does his treatment get covered? AF cover that as he's 2 years into a 4 year enlistment? They med retire him? Let the VA handle it?

Bit of a loss here, trying to keep the GF sane and come up with some sort of answers.

Find private drs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fûck cancer!!! Hope they are able to wipe it out. Best of luck and prayers🙏

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Assume it is.

Find private drs.

Maybe so.

Must have to talk to the VA somehow though.

I am MAGA.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Update.

They're going to move him stateside once they can get blood counts up. Marrow biopsy to come tomorrow (I've had em, they are weird and suck).

They're gonna medically retire him 100% disability. They believe, so far, it's 100% treatable.

I assume and do not know - once in MD, set course of action, do the discharge paperwork and then release him to local VA care? Which is ok - we have a big VA hospital here in town.

Me

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Update.

They're gonna medically retire him 100% disability. They believe, so far, it's 100% treatable.

That is some good news, at least.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope he gets that beat into remission!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Assume it is.

Find private drs.

Maybe so.

Must have to talk to the VA somehow though.

No. Private docs you can find wo VA.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Update.

They're going to move him stateside once they can get blood counts up. Marrow biopsy to come tomorrow (I've had em, they are weird and suck).

I assume and do not know - once in MD, set course of action, do the discharge paperwork and then release him to local VA care? Which is ok - we have a big VA hospital here in town.

Great news My buddys young daughter just went through this 3 years. She had a beautiful healthy baby last year after treatment

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka
Update.

Great news My buddys young daughter just went through this 3 years. She had a beautiful healthy baby last year after treatment

Just been a wild afternoon. I don't think I've ever been so tired.

Me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ribka
Update.

Just been a wild afternoon. I don't think I've ever been so tired.

Rest.

He will be fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does he have any private health care insurance?

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Does he have any private health care insurance?

No he joined right out of HS.

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX...

After treatment there and be discharged he'll be assigned to a VA hospital that will in turn send him to a civilian hospital for additional treatment. Wife told me that the Saginaw VA hospital sends them down to the VA hospital in Ann Arbor and they transport to the UofM Cancer Treatment Center for follow-up. I believe that on discharge he will be sent to his home of record.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Update - looks like it might be AML Leukemia. Was told 20% survival rate to 3 years. BUT still don't have marrow biopsy results back so maybe this changes but I don't know why they'd broach it if they didn't have reason to believe this was it.

Has clot in his leg that they're worried about so no flying home till that's handled and safe. Already started him on low dose (?) chemo. GF will be wheels up for Italy before EOW. Thinking at least 2 weeks in Italy before he's coming home. Being sent to Walter Reed as next stop.

Me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

79 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 673, 15 invisible), 1,126 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,482
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.