Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Makes sense. What do folks do it this case with respect to benchrest technique?
Accept that they are general purpose field guns and shoot them from field positions. smile

I don't know, I don't worry about benchresting them too much. If I want to test them, I usually go down prone, slung up with a bag under my support arm.

I'm sure BSA1917 will drop a few hints if you absolutely gotta BR them.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The only BCA item I have is a threaded Glock barrel and and it seems to shoot more accurately with that barrel over a factory Glock barrel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Could easily be bench technique, setup.
I have been known to have excessive operator headspace occasionally
ARs aren't the easiest guns to shoot off a benchrest. The sloping stock makes them want to porpoise which string the shots vertically. A dedicated bench gun has a straight bottomed buttstock so the gun recoils straight back.

Godogs57, I think your groups look pretty good. Especially the 10 shot group shown with Varget. I wouldn't kick that one out of bed. Tyrone has shot the AR platform a lot more than I have. He has some very good suggestions. rost can also help. I on the otherhand shoot weak side when I use irons. My right eye is better. When shooting off the right side, I think I focus more than I do when shooting lefty.

What kind of a rest do you use? I'm assuming rear bag too? I found a good front rest is much easier to use than a bag. That is when the rifle is not equipped with a good bi-pod. The vertical dispersion would seem more like a rear bag issue. Like Tyrone said about the shape of the butt stock, not lending itself well for shooting off a bench. They are also harder to master than a good ol bolt action, that many of us are so used to. You could always buy a new upper and see if anything changes, but be warned if you buy the wrong one, it could get worse.. Think more quality, especially when it comes to the barrel and you'll be doing yourself a favor. If you buy a new upper, let us know how it compares.

As for PSA, which seems like a lot of these guy's suggest, one of my buddies texted me early this morning. Like 5:30 AM!!! He has been working on building a couple AR10's. He said he pulled out the borescope and both PSA barrels looked like dog schidt. Something about the machinging being horrible and an issue with one side of the lands in a couple areas. if it were me, I'd be trying the BA barrel that comes in the upper I posted a pic of yesterday. That one is built by Aero Precision and has a removable carry handle. That way you can assess the upper with a scope too, and see how those groups compare to your iron sight groups. If there is a huge fluctuation, that tells you you're doing something wrong. Remember to nose up to that charging handle and do it consistently every time.. Tyrone is right, this is a battle rifle, but it can be shot from the bench or prone with great success. Stay in the rifle, keep everything consistent and stay focused mentally. Everything you have learned about marksmanship applies to the AR two fold!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Shooting a Caldwell Rock Competition front rest with a Bald Eagle bunny bag @ rear. I’ll be the first to criticize my technique if necessary and did notice it was hard to be consistent on that rear bag with the sling swivel as big and prominent as it is.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My results yesterday with my M-16 upper. One hundred yard groups: Seemed like more vertical spreading than horizontal for what it’s worth.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

looks like a 11/2 gun way better then my BC experience.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shooting a Caldwell Rock Competition front rest with a Bald Eagle bunny bag @ rear. I’ll be the first to criticize my technique if necessary and did notice it was hard to be consistent on that rear bag with the sling swivel as big and prominent as it is.

I can see that one slipping quite a bit. Probably too hard. I'd find a good leather rear bag, where it allows the stock to nestle into it. This will reduce slipping, which may be causing some of the vertical stringing. These 2 bags are an example of what I use. They are not high dollar, nor big name bunny ear bags either. Just something that works well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In this last picture, you can see the rifle on the far left the bag was not tall enough. That is my buddies rifle. He was struggling to shoot it well. He asked if I could shoot it to see what was going on. I shot it and it shot 2" 10 shot groups. That is a pre ban National match HBAR Bushmaster. It's a great rifle. My Colt outshoots it though and it does not have the HBAR. My buddy was struggling to even get 3-4" groups with his rifle. He'll say it's a 1 1/2 moa rifle though, if you ask him. Another thing to note in this picture, is he could have brought the front rest down to accommodate the height difference. He didn't want to do that. For some reason he, and many others like their rifles a foot off the bench. I'm different, I like to get comfortable when shooting off the bench. It's all technique and what you are used to, but if you are not willing to make changes, you may never end up shooting the platform well. Such as my buddy, he's hard headed.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd consider an Anderson long before I'd consider a Bear Creek. That's saying something.
Then again I'm saying they have been much better than I read about... and you know if I"m saying it, well it has to have merit.. Depending use...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
ARs aren't the easiest guns to shoot off a benchrest. The sloping stock makes them want to porpoise which string the shots vertically. A dedicated bench gun has a straight bottomed buttstock so the gun recoils straight back.
Front rest as close to mag well as possible. Aim and fire. Nothing fancy. Works fine to find out potential.

I do have a special upper to put match barrels on that is wide and slick and floated, to test 600 yard plus ammo and barrel before putting on a service rifle. There I take a bit more time on the rest part but nothing fancy.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently put on a 24" BCA 224 valkyrie barrel and it is a good shooter.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Front rest as close to mag well as possible. Aim and fire. Nothing fancy. Works fine to find out potential.

I do have a special upper to put match barrels on that is wide and slick and floated, to test 600 yard plus ammo and barrel before putting on a service rifle. There I take a bit more time on the rest part but nothing fancy.

I know you have given that type of advice before. Like they are a battle rifle, just shoot it like one. Or some such recommendation. That helped me, as soon as I thought about it for a while. One thing I was guilty of is checking POI after each shot through the spotter. Then you lose your hold on the rifle, and I'm sure that affects accuracy. If you have someone spotting for you, that is a huge benefit.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.