Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I know, it's been beat to death, but help me out here. Whenever the subject arises, it's Barnes this and Barnes that, an occasional mention of Hammers. But the red headed stepchild seems to be Hornady, people just, don't talk about them, either the GMX's or the never seen CX's. If on that rare occasion somebody mentions Hornady, you don't hear anything about burning lots of components finding the magic seating depth or jump...what's the story?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have limited experience with the GMX, mostly because in the handful of rifles I’ve tried it in group sizes just didn’t show much promise compared to the Barnes equivalent, so Barnes got the call.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have shot Barnes almost exclusively for about 30 years. The only time I tried GMX or CX was when a particular load would not shoot to my standard which is MOA consistently for a hunting rifle or less on specific applications (LR or varmint). In those cases the Hornadys didn't markedly improve the situation and it turned out the bullet was not the problem it was something else. While I have not run the Hornadys head to head with Barnes my impression is the same as Jordan's, they didn't shoot quite as accurately as the Barnes which have given excellent results IMHO.
There is just a whole lot more experience with Barnes since they have been around for so long although with their changes in ownership, who knows what will happen.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use 139 gr GMX 7mm projectiles exclusively for most hunting and they work great in my rifle on game. It's usually DRT (and if not, maybe 10 yards before they drop). I still have quite a few GMX projectiles but I also bought a few hundred CXs (also 139) to start development for when I finally run out of GMX rounds.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I tried Barnes from the beginning and wasn't impressed. X, xlc, tsx none were great and barely better than fmj. The tsx was better but I gave up on them and although I have a few I haven't used them.

I will say though, I bought a few thousand of the 180gr E-tip for cheap through Noslers auction site years ago, and did find a workable load accuracy wise. All I've done is target shoot with them though.

Looks like you're forced to use copper so lrx would be one to try if you shoot far enough for velocity to drop off. The ttsx is supposed to be good, but needs to stay above about 2000fps IMHO. I know one gun writer that really likes the e-tips.

Truly you should shoot a few into gel or even water jugs to compare them, and pick your poison according to your desired outcome.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Some TTSX up at 1400 FPS not all need 2000 FPS minimum for expansion

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Over the course of a few years from 2016 to 2021 I hunted and successfully took whitetail with a variety of lead free bullets that included the following.

2016 - Barnes TSX 130gr - 270win
2018 - Nosler E-tip 130gr -270win / 55gr Horn GMX 223REM
2021 - Barnes 110gr TTSX-7x57 / 120gr Horn GMX 6.5 CM

Every bullet killed the deer. Honestly though, none of them killed quite like a cup and core of similar weight in that caliber. If I were to rate them in order of performance I would take the Hornady GMX 1st, either Barnes 2nd, and the Nosler E-tips last.

I personally believe the GMX expands the best, and the Nosler seems almost too "tough" of an alloy.

I've given thought to trying the new Hornady CX but I haven't done so yet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Might want to take a look at the LEHIGH DEFENSE line of bullets. Lehigh was sold last year and the new owner is going gang busters developing new design bullets with additional CNC machines. I saw a video a week or so back and it stated that Lehigh was producing almost 400,000 bullets per week.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was anxious to give the highly promoted, highly un-available 6mm 90 grain CX a try last fall. Due to the lack of avaiability of the 90 gr CX, I opted to give the 87 grain Absolute Hammer a try in a bolt action 6mm ARC rifle with a 22" barrel. The 87 grain absolute hammer was used to fill two whitetail doe tags on opening day of our season last fall. Both deer were shot while in there bed at roughly 100 yards in each case.

!st deer was taken with a broadside heart lung shot. Doe did a 80 yard death run before realizing she was dead. 2nd doe was in very tall cover all I could see was her neck & head. Chose the Base of the neck. The 2nd deer just disappeared at the shot. walked over to her bed to find her lying in her bed with a broken neck. First time I have ever opted for a neck shot placement. Cleanest deer to butcher I have ever experienced.

Since last fall the 90 grain CX has finally been produced & made available. Look forward to trying out the 90 grain CX offering by next fall.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 01/26/23.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m a creature of habit and if something works great I don’t change. I’ve had nothing but 1 shot DRT on everything I’ve used the TSX or TTSX on so I have no reason to switch it up. I’ve been using Barnes since the original X bullets came out and they’ve been very accurate in everything I’ve tried them in. The TSX and TTSX have never left me wanting more from my hunting bullets.

I see myself trying some Hammers in the future for the little Grendel but other than that I’m not looking to improve on something that I don’t think needs improving.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I know, it's been beat to death, but help me out here. Whenever the subject arises, it's Barnes this and Barnes that, an occasional mention of Hammers. But the red headed stepchild seems to be Hornady, people just, don't talk about them, either the GMX's or the never seen CX's. If on that rare occasion somebody mentions Hornady, you don't hear anything about burning lots of components finding the magic seating depth or jump...what's the story?

I use the Barnes mostly. I started with those and have been satisfied with them. I have a fair on hand supply for most of my cartridges.
I do like the 404 grain .458 Hammer Shock Hammer and have a couple of different weight .358's to load. The CEB & Lehigh of similar design would also be fine with me if available in the weights & calibers that I wanted.

I would have no hesitation using the Hornady GMX / CX if I needed bullets and they were available. I would expect terminal performance to be close to the same with the Barnes and Hornady. Between the Hornady and the Barnes, specific rifle accuracy and availability would be my decided factors. My shooting distances would not be crowding the velocity/expansion limits on either.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've shot Barnes for a long time. I'll be the first to admit until the TSX came out they could be a little finicky or unpredictable of which barrels they seem to work in great. the TSX changed all that they seem to be very good shoot very well and not finicky at all. the TTSX just kind of improved on that.
I do wish they would try some TTSX or even the TSX with some of that blue coating they used on there TLC ( I believe that's the right letters) .

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Watching with interest.

I've a pile of factory ammo and bullets in TTSX, GMX & CX 165 & 180 gr. just waiting to be tested after I get back from a hunt in late April.

I'm expecting the barrel to like the factory ammo the least, but it'll be starting points for subsequent handloads.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In copper bullets, I mostly use the Barnes TTSX. I tried the E-Tip, but accuracy just wasn’t as good. Haven’t tried the GMX. With the accuracy and performance I get with the TTSX, I see no need to use anything else.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not been able to get ANY GMX to group out of ANY of my rifles.

Also they do require a minimum of 2000 fps striking velocity before they open up.

Hammers and TTSX / LRX for me.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that Hornady doesn't make GMX bullets anymore. It seems to me that Hornady is bound and determined to come out with bullets that replace their awesome Interlocks.
I seriously do not like their SST bullets. I tried GMX bullets in my 300 H&H and got good accuracy. Then they discontinued those bullets. Seriously, when Hornady discontinues Interlocks, I now replace them with Nosler or SPEER or Sierra - if mono then Barnes. I'd like to salute the current Hornady management with my middle finger.

Last edited by Bugger; 02/07/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fotis
I have not been able to get ANY GMX to group out of ANY of my rifles.

Also they do require a minimum of 2000 fps striking velocity before they open up.

Hammers and TTSX / LRX for me.

Which appears why the CX has been introduced. The claim is better accuracy and better downrange performance. We shall see......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I live in a state where copper bullets are not yet required in any fashion. I have slowly came around to the copper offerings. Thus far Barnes & Hammer bullets are the only copper bullets I have hunted with.

This last fall it came down to Hammer or Hornady CX. 90 gr CX was not available b4 the season was over thus the 87 grain Absolute hunter was what was bringing home dinner. Primary down side to the Hammers is we are close to on our own in terms of load data, especially with the 6mm ARC.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 02/08/23.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,574 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.