Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The Maxus might have been so cheap because of the choke tube stuck in the barrel...its a mossy oak coated shotgun. I've tried oiling the tube at the mouth and leaving it a few days, no luck so far. Anyone got ideas on how to get it out? I think the finish on the barrel is a limiting factor...

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is it the type of choke that sticks out of the barrel or is it a flush one? How long has it been since the choke was removed the last time?
My youngest son had a modified choke tube in his Winchester Model 1200 since he bought the gun about 1994. He never took it out even once. Needless to say it got rusted in. I put the gun on my work bench and sprayed Kroil on the choke twice a day for about 5 days. It worked. Got the choke out. Did have the advantage that the original choke stuck out about a 1/4 inch.
Now if the choke is stuck from firing the wrong type of ammo, I can't help you there.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would begin by soaking the muzzle by submerging it for several days in a small can filled with something like Breakfree CLP. Keep it muzzle down submerged.

If that doesn’t work, there are number of other more aggressive techniques.

Last edited by GF1; 02/05/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kroil. Can be Aero Kroil or regular in the can.

If aerosol maybe try not to get on the camo. Maybe a few drips a day for a week or so.

Very gentle heat with a hair dryer. Don't get the camo hot, just a little over warm. Stand barrel on muzzle, the Kroil will creep uphill.

Get some of it back where the choke meets the bore as well. The threads are back there.

Possibly stand barrel up in a few inches of the Kroil in a soup can. May bother camo but a redip isn't all that expensive if it messes up the dip job.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GF1
I would begin by soaking the muzzle by submerging it for several days in a small can filled with something like Breakfree CLP. Keep it muzzle down submerged.

If that doesn’t work, there are number of other more aggressive techniques.

^^^^ good advice or Kroil ^^^^^. Yep stand it up in a glass bottle full of kroil overnight and it will loosen up.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
As 10gaugemag said, heat it up with a hair dryer along with soaking in a penetrating oil. Which choke tube wrench? The key type or the "T" handle? If the choke tube wrench doesn't rest on the barrel, only on the choke tube, tap on it after soaking and heating and then try turning it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Kroil would be my first choice, followed by heat gun or hair dryer

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kroil for sure. Might try the freezer? Heat expands, cold contracts... just spitballing.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks this is helpful.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
All good suggestions.

Buddy had a flush mount stuck in a SBE. Did all of above, none worked. Took it to a gunsmith and he was able to get it out without destroying barrel/threads. Clamped and used a giant bar with a welded on wrench. The tube was trashed but the barrel was fine.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
KRoil is the best fug the rest....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
cheaper and maybe better than kroil is 1/2 atf and 1/2 acetone, mix well.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Had a briley thin wall choke rusted in an old bps I had. I soaked it muzzle down in kroil for a couple days and that sucker still wouldn’t budge and I wound up stripping out the slots for the choke wrench. Ended up having to heat it up with a heat gun and use a large ez out to get it out. It messed up the choke but the barrel was fine. I’d try an oil soak first and maybe some heat.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had Kroil ruin a cerakote type finish on a knife once. It was a coated Browning knife. Coating lifted off so I just stripped it all off. Just be aware.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Soak in Amsoil and put the barrel in the freezer over night.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Above all, time and patience are your friends here. Let it sit with penetrating oil for a week. Couple times a day, tap the muzzle end with a rubber mallet - vibration and light shocks help move things around. Warm/cold cycles also help. Give the penetrating oil time to work.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
be sure and let us know what worked when you get it out.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by gunscrew
I have used this mix and it usually has worked like magic! Have also seen a few barrels ruined by being twisted, so go slow.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
so far nothing has worked. been super busy with work but have used penetrating oil which really messed up the dip/coating, and have procured a t-wrench also. still at it, going to try heat and cold this weekend along with some Kroil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
202 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.